Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
I have a kenwood head unit w/ 4 polk DB 651's, and a bridged 2 channel amp pushing a RF punch 12. When we are sitting on the water, boat off, the stereo cuts out when the volume is turned up. If we turn on the engine and let it idle at about 1k rpm's, it plays as loud as we want it. What do I need to do??
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-16-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
Better battery, or possibly a cap?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-16-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
Use a volt meter to determine the parasitic loss. Most likely you do not have big enough cables. Either that or your battery is no good. Caps are a band aid since a battery is nothing more than a cap (Stored energy).

Have you tested the battery? Is it separate of your starting battery? What voltage is the stereo seeing, especially when it cuts out?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-16-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
Sounds like a bad battery maybe, low voltage anyway.
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
i only have the one battery for starting and stereo. It is an older battery, but it has no problems charging or cranking the engine
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-16-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
There is a slim chance you need to adjust gains too.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-16-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
Definitely get the battery tested, if it's bad and you guys wanna stay with just one battery get a red top for cranking it will hold a charge longer for you guys. Obviously the best thing to do is get a cranking to start and a deep cycle for the stereo and either just parallel them together or do a iso/ combiner.

Virtually every time this problem arises it's a low charged or bad battery a cap won't solve your problems at all.
Old     (wdp)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-16-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
I had this problem on my old centurion. What I had to do was first buy a good gel cell battery around a $100 that fixed all of it. You can also put in a second battery but make sure they are the same type of batteries.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-16-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
you need a better ground

(Message edited by nbeihl on April 16, 2008)
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
Did you run seperate power and ground for the amp ? We see alot of home amp installs in boats where they try and use and existing ground block for the amp ground and it just isnt enough ground . Your ground wire should be same size as power
Old     (moomba55)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-17-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Cody I had the exact same problem. What i had to do is ground the stereo directly to the battery and not to the ground block.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-17-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
ding ding ding!!!! Jeremy and Neal hit the answer right on the head.....i had the very same issue w/ my system. I was using the distribution block under the helm for one of my amps (as well as everything else thats powered / grounded off of there). I then powered/grounded the amp to the battery and haven't really had any issues. I would also suggest getting a 2nd battery just for that added power as well as a C-Y-A if you like to blar your tunes for an extended period.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Ground
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-23-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
My amp is grounded directly to the battery with 4 ga wire i believe. If the battery is the problem, would a standard marine cranking battery not get it done, or do I need to go with a Deep cycle. I dont really have the room for 2 back there, but if that is the only way I can crank up the volume, I will have to find a place for an extra.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
your pulling the batt. down to low and amp is shutting down. what the amp when this happens the light will go out or if you have a meter you can watch battery it will cut off at about 10.5 volts.
Old     (sks625)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-23-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
I have a moomba LSV with factory sub, tower speakers and amp and it cuts off when you turn the volume up too high. Haven't messed with the gains cuz I just got it and haven't had it on the water other than demo but the dealer told me it was a setting in the radio or amp from the factory. I know its not my thread but in advise. Its a 2007 LSV with kenwood components throughout.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-24-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Steve,

How many amps do you have? What is the Model of the amps? What are the amps powering? How is it wired? (1 wire from the amp to power 1 speaker, or 1 wire from the amp to power 2 speakers? And tower wise are the cans independent of each other or wired together, how many wires going into the tower?)
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-24-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
may need to re-run the power and ground for the head unit . Sounds like you are starving for power somewhere