Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-20-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
Anybody know of a mobile mechanic in the Sacramento area that can get a couple broken impeller bolts out of my block.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-20-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
you don't need a mechanic, you need a machine shop.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-20-2008, 10:30 PM Reply   
The process is to drill into the center of the broken bolt and then hammer a splined piece into the hole and remove the screw. This is MUCH harder than it sounds. You need to apply heat and rust penatrant. You also have to drill a hard erratic surface. You probably should pull the engine to get it done.
For a start put some rust penetrant oil on the bolt holes to help start loosening them for a day or so before anyone works on it.
Good luck, it's not easy for a problem that happens so quickly.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-21-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
outboard inboard marine hes in brentwood but travels the delta all over.

408 297-3347
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Motor is out and in the garage. And I have been spraying a loosening spray onto it . Thanks guy's
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-21-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Gettn ready for spring ride ehh?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
drinking water getting the liver ready for spring ride. Boat won't be done for who knows how long. I'm trying to hook up some pulls from my friends down there. If I'm able to move of course.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2008, 6:09 AM Reply   
Hillbilly, Art is correct on the process, but it is not that hard if you have the right tools and you have good access to the broken bolt. I am an aircraft mechanic and have to deal with broken bolts and screws all the time.

The trick is to use a center punch (a sharp pointed punch) and mark the center of the bolt, then drill on a slow speed and keep the drill straight, once the hole is about 3/8 inch deep use one of the two following easy outs, don't use the cheap ones from walmart:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=10523&group_ID=1262 &store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

or

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=10459&group_ID=1260 &store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

or the whole set

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=77948&group_ID=1262 &store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Whichever you choose just tap the tool in the hole and use the appropriate wrench to loosen them.

Just make sure you order the correct size for your respective bolt.

Even if you bought a whole set instead of individual tools it would still be cheaper than paying a mechanic to do it.

Weskel
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-22-2008, 11:14 PM Reply   
Should I use one of those Burnzomatic torches to heat up the block around the bolt? And I will try and get some of those extractors. I already broke the tip of a cheap ez-out off in one bolt. I got no business wrenching on motors LOL.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-22-2008, 11:53 PM Reply   
Heating will help. You can also try to cool the bolt a bit after you heat the block but the heat transfer is really good so it does not help to cool it very much.
Getting out the broken ez-out is even tougher than just the bolt because it's harder to drill.
Even if you wind up wrecking the threads when you drill you can always put in an insert or tap for a bigger bolt.
I feel for ya. I've been there. Just keep working at it. You may eventually have to go to a machine shop, but usually you can get it if you don't get frustrated and keep plugging.