Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-21-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Anybody have any idea what a ballpark figure is to have a boat shipped from the bay area up to Seattle. Let me know if you know anybody that has had a boat shipped even it is to or from different areas. There are just too many good deals in The bay area to buy a boat in the NW.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-21-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
My guess is it would be cheaper and easier to just go and pick it up or negotiate to meet in Medford, OR or something.... That drive is not too far for you...
Old     (bullit)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-21-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Try www.uship.com It is a great service. I just had 2 boats delivered from Sacramento to Sumas, Washington for around $2500. That was on a trailer not towed. I shipped with Ron from Marine Express 209-988-1861.
Old     (rarasaurus)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
I would also suggest Uship. They have shippers on there that are insured and have good feedback. Try and stay away from those that arent insured and have no feedback.

You should get bids pretty quickly usually within a day. You can also look at past similar shipments.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-21-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Can you put up a listing on uship.com just to get an idea of prices or do you have to commit to shipping.
Old     (rarasaurus)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
You can put it up to see the prices u get. Only if u like them do u have to commit. If u dont u just decline them.

There is no need to commit. I had a shipment up there and then decided to pick it up myself. I just took the listing off and rejected the live bids.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-21-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
You can post up to get pricing ideas. Different shippers will read your post and send you a quote. The quote and your posting will expire after a set number of days. I looked at shipping two different posts and used Uship to get an idea on shipping.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-21-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
I just talked with Ron from Marine Express and he said if they put the boat on a trailer with one other they can do about 1.05-1.10 a mile. That works out to 825. I calculated out if I drove down myself and back and it would be about 500 alone in fuel. Sounds like a pretty decent price. Plus having it on a trailer not risking blowing out a bearing or tire would be nice.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-21-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
yeah we are paying 1.50/mile here in fla. 1.10 is a good deal
Old     (marine)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
When you use u-ship always check the legality of the carrier, Dot & Mc numbers, you can do this on SAFER web site. 95% of the carriers on u-ship do not have these #'s, without them they are a illegal carrier, if caught your boat could be impounded.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-21-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
1.05 - 1.10 is a GREAT deal. I'd say going rate is about 1.50 on a single load for a boat. I just had mine delivered yesterday.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-21-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
Brett- I here you with the good deals in the bay, last summer I found a 06 Moomba lsv with all options and 15 hrs for 33k awesome deal I think, my father-in law and I left sat morning at 4 am and got down to san fran at around 4:30, test drove the boat, bought it and headed back to seattle, stopped and outback steakhouse at 9 or so that night and made it in town, at 10 am sun morning, it was a great road trip, I got a practically brand new boat for super cheap, I guess if you could just go down and pick it up on a weekend, i don't think it would be that bad. if thats a possibilty?
Old     (slowjet)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-22-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
Search for them on this site. This is the SAFER site the Ron was talking about. You can search under name, but sometimes it pulls up alot of companies with similar names. Ask them for their 6 digit MC number. The main thing to look for is if they have insurance. There's a little blue box on the right near the top with Licensing & Ins. Click that then click View Report in HTML.
http://www.safersys.org/CompanySnapshot.aspx
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-22-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
Brett thats a smokin deal, do it.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-22-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
I shipped a boat from East Tennessee to Colorado @ 1.40-50 per mile and that was shipped on a flat bed.

That's a huge deal if you get 1.05 or 1.10....if I could get that I would be shopping all over the country for a new boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-22-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
I don't mind driving myself. I drove down to Napa for a friends wedding and it wasn't bad at all. The only thing that sucked was driving back sunday after a crazy reception and drinking till 2 or 3 in the morning. I also would see if I could borrow my friends truck. I just sold my expedition.

I gotta buy the boat first though.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
the one thing that you have to remember with shipping a boat is that your also going to rent a crain or some big fork lifts if the boat is put on a big flat bed truck. i would wait about a month and go pick it up. take some friends and hit up some lakes on the way back.
Old     (bullit)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-22-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Marine Express has a self loading and unloading trailer. No crain needed just a parking lot. His service is great and his price is excellent.
Old     (bullit)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-22-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (tigedealer)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-22-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey Brett. $825 is CHEAP!! If that's the real cost, do it, especially if you don't need a crane or forklift. Keep in mind sometimes transporters are very slow to pickup until they have a load going that way; that's just part of the transportation business and it can be a little frustrating. I would make sure you also have insurance while the boat is in transport, just to CYA. BTW, you're right about deals in the Bay Area. We sell Tige Boats and all of our 07's are on clearance. They're on SF Bay Area Craigslist. BTW guys, thanks for the info on Ron and transport, I have boats I need to ship to customers and they're looking for deals!
Old     (marine)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Bullit, thanks for the kind words, it was great working with you.