Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mjlee1985)      Join Date: May 2012       09-14-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
Have been looking at a ton of boats over the last couple weeks and have pretty much narrowed it down to there two boats! I know the wakes are a lot different but I'm more wondering which boat everyone thinks is a better purchase. Both are right around the same price and in good shape. Both have some seams pulling and need a good detail. The bu has ballest plumbed in with bags(3) and the San has just the back 2 tanks. The bu has no pp but the San does. Coming from and outboard I have no preference on wake as both are a million time better then what I have now. Thanks
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-14-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
Same price I take the SAN with perfect pass as long as it works... I prefer the wake and you'll spend as much/more on perfect pass for the wake setter as you will adding another bag or 2 to the SAN...

They both resale similar but I feel the SAN has a stronger following and I am a huge fan of the GT-40 Ford Engine. Whilst I don't own a Nauti with the GT-40, I am part of the cult of GT-40 believers.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-14-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
+1 for SAN. GT-40 is basically bomb proof, wake is superior IMO and it has PP. Add a little weight to the bow and mid ship, you'll be real happy.
Old     (Mjlee1985)      Join Date: May 2012       09-14-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thanks forgot to add both have similar hours and both are under 500 hours. I was think the San also just wanted to get some expert opinions in case I was wasn't aware of a reason the Malibu might be a better buy!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-14-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
The Bu could be bigger inside, most storage. I've never been in or behind one though, but there will be people that like the Bu better
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-14-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
IMO a 00 SAN has a better wake than a 99 BU
Old     (Mjlee1985)      Join Date: May 2012       09-14-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
What I'm really looking for is specific reason why one or the other would be a better first inboard/v drive? Thanks everyone for you input keep them coming!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-14-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
I prefer the wake, the engine is bomb proof, it builds a mackin wake with minimal weight. If you ran 2000lbs, in my opinion, thats a HUGE wake. The hull design is efficient, you get a good wake with 1-2k and you burn less gas lugging less weight around. My strict opinion, nobody construe this as fact, I believe that era SAN has higher resale value and higher demand, prices have held steady, when you want to sell that boat in 2-5 years, I believe you will get your money back, or nearly so. It's Nautique quality they have always been known for, I feel like Bu really stepped up their game in the mid 2000s but I don't know if the quality is the same on the Bu as the Nautique in those years... just my opinion once again.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-14-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
I would pick the Bu if you want a rampy wake, more interior room and more storage. Pick the SAN if you want a steep and solid wake without much ballast, that is more fuel effecient and want the best built boat of that era. Not to say the Bu is built poorly because it certainly isn't. Nautique's in that era were so solid and tight feeling. If the SAN has a the GT40 that is a positive as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
I would pick the BU. The wake is always good. Yes the SAN will produce a crazy wake with less weight, but it's as finicky as they come. When it's good, it's REAL good, but the wake curls over every time someone leans to one side to fart. I love a dialed SAN wake, but many riders can't handle it.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have owned both. A 99 vlx and a 99 SAN. Really it all depends on what you want. Overall fit and finish I actually preferred the malibu. Interior space and storage also goes to the malibu. The 99 SAN had very little storage and felt pretty crammed inside. The wakes are completely different. I thought that I was going to absolutely love the SAN wake over the vlx wake and to my surprise I actually prefer the vlx wake. The SAN wake definitely gets much steeper with more pop, but I just loved the consistency of the vlx wake. The SAN wake can be touchy. To maximize the SAN wake your body and board control skills have got to be pretty fine tuned, otherwise you will just get bucked all over the place. Both great boats, just different.
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-14-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
To me it depends on wake preference and riding ability. In general the VLX wake is a lot easier to learn on, and more average riders prefer it, to the steep wake on the 210, which a lot of core riders prefer.

As far as the boats: Vlx is bigger on the inside.
Gt-40 ok: Monsoon 320 is about the most built proof and most quantity engine built. Besides people not winterizing properly, very few issues.
PP: Big plus to the 210. Plan on spending an extra 1k on the malibu to retro-fit.

In general if you are really serious about buying, bring your board, ride both, and see which you like better.
Old     (Mjlee1985)      Join Date: May 2012       09-14-2012, 2:20 PM Reply   
How about surf wakes?? Are they both just ok or does one excel?? Thank everyone for the input your making this decision even harder!
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-14-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
We dont recommended surfing behind either of them.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-14-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
I think the SAN has a tough time getting a good surf wake on the regular side because of prop rotation. That said neither are known as good surf boats but I am sure you can surf behind either.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-14-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Surf??

Agreed that the SAN wake is very sensitive to weight distribution (which drives my wife crazy) and can buck you if you haven't learned your form....Ride them both for sure to see which fits your riding.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-14-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
I have heard the issues with the wake being touchy on the SAN, but personally haven't seen it for myself. So that tells me there is a way to "dial it in"

It seems you don't yet have a preference on wake at this point in your boarding life. So personally, I would go for the BU if I was in your position. My main reasoning being space. If you go test drive a SAN, bring all your gear with and a buddy with the same. Its just cramped in that boat. I love getting booted off a SAN wake, but for me I would grow aggrivated with the space constraints.

Surf wake on that BU can be very nice, i surfed one with right around 2500 lb in it and it was great. I surfed my DD sunsetter as well (same hull but DD) with 2 k in it and it was also pretty good, imo.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2012, 4:28 PM Reply   
mike. both boats are awesome, but both wakes are at opposite sides of the spectrum. If you like em steep, go with the SAN. If you like them rampy (think snowboard jumps) go with the VLX. I think the SAN will hold value a little bit better but they are both probably bottomed out as far as price goes in the used market. The SAN is solid, but the BU has noticeably more room inside. If you do not really care about the wake and just want to be able to surf and wakeboard and progress eventually, then go with the SAN. It sounds like you are saying they are the same price but the SAN has a little bit more options... if true, SAN all the way, you will get used to the wake and then love it.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2012, 5:36 AM Reply   
Owning bot, same years (and 04 X2)..

Bu has some more storage. Good out of the hole, nice topspeed. Looking good imho. Good with 3 sacks, but can use slightly more weight.
SAN has a bigger wake, even with standard ballast (02 team ballast, so with front locker weight) it is excellent imho.

Fuel: SAN is really fuel efficient. We could manage 9hrs on 1 fuel tank of wakeboarding (4gallon an hour), the BU with standard weight would take 5 gallon, the X2 even more... For us in Europe it meant refuelling the X2 every evening before or after boarding (smaller tank and could not squeeze 2 nights out of it), the BU 2 nights, while with the SAN we could squeeze 3 evenings of boarding out of the 150ltr tank...

Surf wake goofy footed was good enough with the SAN (with standard ballast and 2-3 people in the boat) we could do 360's. Never surfed behind the BU, so no opinion. Surf wake behind the X2 was terrible imho. Could not dialed it in with minimum ballast, tried a couple of times with 10 people or so and all ballast but no fun.
Behind our '97 SSN (SAN hull), we could surf with only the driver in the boat and a full tank of petrol in it (no ballast). This was on a LF SurfSkim board (something like 42 inch or so) and me around 180lbs.

Rough water was: SAN, BU and then the X2 as less comfort.

The upholstery was excellent from the MC, SAN very good and the BU less comfort/reliable (but I've sit in 2012 BU and they are reallyyy nice these days).

I really liked the wake of all 3 boats. Totally different, but all fun and with 800lbs all good enough to do all basic stuff behind it. If I would should choose these days, the SAN would be a bit more valuable then the BU. Expecially in 2000 era.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
I've never understood how everyone seems to have storage problems with the SAN. I'll concede the Bu has more interior storage but, how much crap can you have? I can take out 7 people comfortably, have room for 4 boards, a surf board and dare I say 2 tubes for those who feel the need. All this plus PFDs for everyone and still have room for everyone's personal stuff and still have an empty floor. Did I mention 2 on board iice chests too? The balancing act that is required to even out the wake can be controlled from the dash with the ballast pumps. Try this: Go up to both boats and bang your fist on the side hulls. Hear the difference.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-16-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
Get the biggest boat you can afford to buy. Especially if you have a family. Wish I had even though I love my X Star 205v it gets cramp real quick. You lose space quick when you have both engine compartments full of bags!!!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-16-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
No contest, the Super Air. Those Malibus were not what they are today. in 2000, the Malibu 21'ers were still feeling like, and were built like, big ski boats. Not built tanky like the Super Sport/210.
The Malibu is still a good choice, but it's not on the level of the SAN.
Old     (Mjlee1985)      Join Date: May 2012       09-16-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! Awesome advice should have a decision by the weekend I'll post pictures of whatever I get. I'm leaning towards the San just because of the quality but it's 3 hours away and I'll demo on Friday and if it's as good as the guy says it is, I'll be towing it home! Any advice on what to check on a San of that year? I've only demoed 03-05s with the 330. Thanks again for everyone's input it has helped a ton
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-16-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
Yea on my second GT 40 (air and now a San) and couldn't be happier. Oh and the wake is ridic too. I put 3k lbs In my SAN 210 and love it.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
I assume it has the digital dash (as of 2000). Check if all the keypad keys functions (keyless ignition, horn, blower, etc). Does the boat still has the original digital gauges (speed, rpm)? If they do, they are prone to brake. If not, check the hours as the GT40 does not log the hours on the ECU. So new display means 0 hours....

The boat itself is really bullit proof. Just check the normal stuff (upholstery, maintanance records, damages).