Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    e420x            11-08-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
The JL aamp I am looking at has this rating

Rated Power 12.5 V Stereo: 45W RMS x 4 @ 4 ohm
75W RMS x 4 @ 2 ohm
Rated Power 12.5 V Bridged: 90W RMS x 2 @ 8 ohm
150W RMS x 2 @ 4 ohm

If I want to hook this amp to 2 4ohm speakers…can I just bridge the 4 channel into 2 channels to get more power instead of running 4 speakers? If I do how many watts will I be pushing through the speakers or how many ohms

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-08-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
Yes, you can bridge the amp and the speakers will see the 150W each 4 ohm speaker.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-09-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
Which JL amp is it? If its the slash series, maybe all JL amos do this, but they will push the same wattage at varying ohm levels. Some high tech internal regulation.....The amp senses the resistance changed and regulates accordingly.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-09-2005, 5:48 AM Reply   
From JL website: JL SLash serires amp

The "Intelligent" portion of the R.I.P.S. System is a circuit that actually monitors output current to optimize the amplifier's output power over a wide range of load impedances (1.5 ohm to 4 ohm per channel).

Conventional amplifiers are designed to produce optimum power at a particular impedance (2 ohm, for example). When asked to run above that impedance (say, 4 ohm), these amplifiers lose power (half their power from 2 ohm to 4 ohm). This will not happen with a JL Audio “Slash” series amplifier because the R.I.P.S. System detects the actual impedance being driven and adjusts output rail voltages to deliver optimum output. The entire process is seamless, automatic, and results in incredible dynamics for satellite channels and consistent power output for a wide range of subwoofer configurations. It also takes into account the real impedance of the system, rather than relying on often inaccurate assumptions based on a speaker's rated impedance.
The bottom line of the R.I.P.S. system is: Optimum power, at any impedance between 1.5 ohm and 4 ohm per channel, at any vehicle voltage between 11V and 14.5V.
Old    e420x            11-09-2005, 6:47 AM Reply   
Its the 4300m marine series amp
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-09-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
Eb, according to the website, the marine amplifiers do not have this technology (Doesn’t surprise me). Mike is correct.
Old    e420x            11-09-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
Great looks like this amp will be perfect for my 6.75 tower speakers