Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (01centurion)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-13-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
i have a exile harpoon amp already and was reading older post about it not having enough power for NVS speakers but never read a clear answer. can any one tell me if it will power NVS DEVIANT! or if there is something that can be done to make it work, id hate to sell the amp since i just bought it last year!
Old     (USCWakeboarders)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-13-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
That amp is rated at 300W RMS X 2 and the speakers are 400W RMS each. Should be completely fine. As long as you are close to the RMS power rating you will be completely fine. I have a JL audio amp and use 150 RMS to power 4 speakers rated at 75 watts RMS each (so 300 alogether meaning only giving them 1/2 power), and it is very clear and I cant even turn it up all the way.

On the off chance its not enough power you will not do any damage to the speakers by underpowering them.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-13-2012, 11:07 PM Reply   
buy another one and bridge them 1 to 1 amp to speakers
Old     (01centurion)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-14-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
i really dont want to buy another one its not in the budget right now. how much will i loose running them 100 watts from there peak? i read something on a older post about an impedance matcher? can someone explain that? here is the quote from the older post

"Assuming for a moment that the 1010’s are 400W rms continuous power, the HARPOON amplifier would be slightly under powering the setup at 4 ohm. But you always could use an impedance matcher and drop the HARPOON down to continuously see a 2 ohm load. Then presto you have 500 x 2 rms and still have the built in tower control and sound shaping ability as mentioned above"
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-14-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Have not seen an Accumatch around in a long while. It was a simple coupling transformer similar to an 'autoformer' or the multi-tap transformers used in home stereo wall controls, just bigger. I have no idea whether or not the bandwidth is adequate for a full range speaker as the Accumatch was mainly used for subs.
Duane from NVS has always maintained that the Prodigy (rated at the same power as the Deviant) needed 500 watts per speaker to perform to potential.
You aren't going to be anywhere close to that kind of power, especially at a 4-ohm load. But you have a good sized amplifier that you already own. I'd go with it.

David
Earmark Marine