Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    mbsteve            05-16-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
i have one amp grounded to the battery, im adding another amp. can i run a ground wire off the new amp to the old amp, instead of running another ground wire to the battery?
Old    mbsteve            05-16-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
`ss
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-16-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
You can do it, I would not.

Your amp's positive and neg. cables should be the same size.

So, if you are running a 4 gauge + you should run a 4 gauge - cable too.

What you might want to do, is either run an other cable back to the battery or
run a distribution block between the battery and amps. Run both amps the to the distro block and then a larger wire to the battery.

You also, want to keep the ground wires as short as posible.
Old    mbsteve            05-16-2003, 4:57 PM Reply   
my power and grnd. are both 8gau. i was going to run another piece of 8gau. in between the two amps.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-16-2003, 5:26 PM Reply   
if your amps are not super huge it will probably be fine to do that. my amps are right near my battery so i found it easier (and cheaper) to simply run separate wires to the battery, with separate fuses.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-16-2003, 9:21 PM Reply   
Steve I see you live in Vancouver and own a MB Sport, I live in Vancouver and have a MB too . If I were you I would run a distribution block for both power and ground with 8 gauge wire or one size larger then run 2 or 4 from there to the battery and install a fuse right before the battery all this depends on what size amps you have you can e-mail me your phone number if you have other questions or need help.

(Message edited by tcaton on May 16, 2003)
Old    mbsteve            05-17-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
thanks tom,im doing the install right now.