Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-27-2011, 12:38 AM Reply   
Hey guys, im going to be buying a used ford f-250/350 here in the next day or two and I have been going back and fourth on wether or not I should but one that has the 7.3l or the 6.0l.

Ive been researching and some sites say stay away from the 6.0l and others say its a good motor as long as you take care of it. I have found a few trucks that im going to go look at tomorrow. Three of them have the 6.0l and one is a 7.3l.

Im just trying to get a few opinions from some of the guys out there who have owned or do own one of these trucks and get you take.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
I was in the same situation as you but chose a 2002 7.3L F250 because of the emission requirements in CA. The truck does not require a DPF so one less thing to suck on gas mileage.

+ Now, the 6L can be good from what I heard as long as you or the previous owner put studs on the engine block and a few other things that needed to be improved upon.
+ The 6L did come out of the manufacturing plant at 90% of it's potential power.
+ The 7.3L were sent out of the plant at 75% of it's potentional power.
+ The 6L was put into the 2003.5 trucks becuase of the new emission standards.

I am sure others will chime in but wanted to say that the 7.3L is better than the 6L IMO.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
I sell them and wouldn't personally buy a 6.0 unless it was an 06-07, I've just seen waaayy to many problems with the earlier ones. If you can snag a 7.3 thats in good shape and doesn't have miles through the roof GET IT! 7.3's are the golden goose, with plenty of power (which can be increased easily), built like tanks and get great fuel economy. The problem is they usually have loads of miles on them by the time anyone is foolish to enough to get rid of them If you are cosidering the 6.0 just make sure its never been chipped and I'm not sure how it is where you live but we have to have the cats on them to resell them which is about $1200 so make sure you know the laws regarding that.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-27-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
DON"T BUY A 6.0!!! I made the mistake of buying an 05 thinking they could not be all that bad. I picked mine up with 65k miles in perfect shape. It ran great for 6 months until I bought a toy hauler which is only 10,000 lbs. It should of been able to tow the trailer no problem but instead it has been nothing but problems. In 6 months I went through thermostat(because they could not figure out the problem) EGR, headgaskets, turbo, fuel injection control module. The turbo was the only breakdown 6 hours from home. Had to get my truck and trailer towed 75 miles to the nearest dealer. I thought the problems were behind me but recently the innercooler went out, it now has 110,000 miles. I towed my trailer in the mountains a couple of weeks ago and it started to overheat again and I take it very easy.

That is close to 10k in repairs in a year. The worst part is it was 2 months out of warranty when it all started. Ford did help a little with some of the costs but not a lot. It basically would have cost me the same if I went to a non dealer repair shop. I keep thinking it has been fixed so I have hung on to it. Tough to get rid of when I have sunk so much into it and I see the price tag on new one's. If I never towed my trailer I feel like it probably would have been fine, but who knows. Also, it has never been chipped.
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-27-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
I found a 2000 f-250 lariat with 190,000 miles for 9500$ Im pretty sure thats still pretty low miles for that engine, Im just wondering about the bully dog programmer he has in it and how bad he has ragged on it.

Does the 7.3l handle programmers better?
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-27-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
wow brian, that sounds like a horror story. I would buy a new truck but I hate having payments and there is no guarantee that I wont have just as many problems as an older one.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-27-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Get the 7.3L, the motor will last forever as long as you change the oil. I have an 02 F350 with the 7.3L with an Edge Juice w/ Attitude, aFe stage 2 cold air, 5" Turbo back exhaust with a big flow through muffler.

Love the truck, runs great, pulls the boat like a dream. I can make the round trip to the lake 4 times on a tank of gas while towing. I get around 13mpg towing between 65-70mph, and thats with the AC cranked on max since its so hot in Phoenix...115 deg here today. You would probably get a bit better mpg with the taller gears in the 250.

If you get that 2000 250, lose the bully dog. Generic canned tunes are NOT the way to go, Get a Tony Wildman tune or DP tuner. I run an Edge on my truck, its hard on my tranny, and I would go with a custom tune if i could do it again.

The 6.0L CAN be a good truck, but you need to do a lot to it. Go pick up just about any Diesel Mag (diesel power, diesel world, 8lug) theres always an article about the 6.0L
To make it solid you need new headstuds, EGR delete, and a fixed geometry turbo. then some tunes, intake, and exhaust and the thing will run.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-27-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
For all the 6.0 haters, I just want to say I have an 03 with the 6.0. 135,000 and runs like a champ. It is mostly stock except for straight through exhaust, a coolant filter, and CAT ELC coolant to replace the Ford gold crap that causes so many problems.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       06-27-2011, 8:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajholt7 View Post
For all the 6.0 haters, I just want to say I have an 03 with the 6.0. 135,000 and runs like a champ. It is mostly stock except for straight through exhaust, a coolant filter, and CAT ELC coolant to replace the Ford gold crap that causes so many problems.
^^^^Famous last words!^^^^

Lol, just kidding man... I had a 05 F-250 6.0L it never gave me any problems, but I drove it like a grandma! I was scared of all the horror stories. Several of my buddies have/had the 7.3L... It's been a winner for them.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
Hate, how many miles do you think is "thought the roof"? I bought mine with 123k and there isn't a problem at all. So far, just basic stuff like Joey C. mentioned
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have an '06 -6.0 with 234,000 miles, and still running strong. Granted, I have had my share of issues, like one turbo, and all injectors replaced, but other than that, I have had great luck with it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-29-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Had a '06 with 70k on it. Ran a mild tune since day one. Not a single problem.... Got rid of it before it did. He, he, he...... 7.3's are cool, but stock to stock the 6.0 will smoke one.

I think my next diesel will be a Cummins. We'll see....
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
I am considering selling my '06 King Ranch 4x4.

I sold the boat a couple of weeks ago and just don't need it anymore
97,000 miles and not even a hint of a problem

p.m. me if you are interested

that's the first time I admitted selling the boat here on WW......I might need some therapy...
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys but I bought a truck earlier today. Its a 2001 F-250 7.3l with 190,xxx miles for 9500$. I know the 7.3l isn't the fastest of the bunch but it will do everything I ask of it and it will be paid for. Im hoping this truck will last me for a very long time.

Cliff- The King Ranch has always been my dream truck but it just isn't in my budget at the moment. My wife and I have a 4 month old and a new business and i'm just looking for something to pay cash upfront for.