Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       04-27-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
Tow vehicle is an ML350 bluetec with factory installed towing package ... pulls great and getting awesome mileage being a diesel ... but the trailer LEDs are flashing when the brakes aren't engaged etc.

Looked up MB forums etc. and they refer to a part on eztrailer.com which I can't seem to pull up - basically an additional resistor to be put between trailer and vehicle plug ...

Anybody know what I'm refering to - appreciate the input!

Nick
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-30-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
Are you referring to this?

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html

Read the reviews on that part as it seems you may want to continue looking but at least that'll give you an idea on what to look for. Us MB guys aren't as lucky as the VDub/Porsche guys that were able to get this fixed with a software update. Also, what kind of ball mount are you using and the height of your trailer? I've got an ML 550 and was told to get at least a 6" rise for a 21" tall trailer at the tongue.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-30-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
More specific with part numbers here. It's for an R-class but the bulb out bypass adapters (what you are asking for) should be the same:

http://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w2...g-harness.html
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-01-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
Axel,
Yes that's the one - just can't seem to find it anywhere - the MB link at least now contained the full part number. The one from etrailer.com is 7 to 5 but I need 7 to 7 - so that's probably a bit of a hassle.

I'm considering putting the resistors into the trailer wiring myself so I don't have to deal with the converter at this point as they don't seem to be available.

Thanks for the links - what I haven't done yet is contacting the manufacturer of the trailer directly - they may have a suggestion as well.

Nick
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-01-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Also, what kind of ball mount are you using and the height of your trailer? I've got an ML 550 and was told to get at least a 6" rise for a 21" tall trailer at the tongue.
What about this above?

Also, are you running electric disc brakes on your trailer? If so, did you buy a separate brake controller?
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-01-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
Actually, here's the one you are looking for...

http://www.vwdiscountparts.com/partl...catalogid=5496

I know it says its for a VDub but if you read carefully it says it comes in Valley Industries packaging which to me means its the Valley Industries part and not VDub specific.

I also read on one of the VDub forums that you can call etrailer.com directly and if you ask them about the part they have it (even though it doesn't show up on their site). So, I'd try them first since they typically have the best prices...
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-01-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
found it locally after stopping at the MB dealership - they are just ordering it up the street and it is ultimately from Valley towing - so the part everyone is selling. Still overpriced as it basically contains a resistor but I'm lazy ;-)

And yes - the ball rise - didn't go for 6" ... had from my prior vehicle a 2" drop and that seemed quite low so changed it to a 2" rise which works ok. Bummer is that the 350 is not equipped with the automatic adjustment - only the ML550 is - so it's kinda sagging back there ;-) but hopefully the whole towing is mute in a few months if I can find reasonable lakeshore property here in the Twin Cities
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-01-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
Yeah I thought 6" rise was a bit high but that's what the guy at the boat shop recommended. We'll see when it comes in. I ordered the 7 to 5 pin adapter today from etrailer.com so we'll see what happens. Getting ready for new (to me) boat hopefully by this weekend (keeping fingers crossed). My ML550 doesn't have the air suspension. What auto leveling are you referring to? Are you referring the air suspension?
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-02-2012, 4:37 AM Reply   
yeah guess that's what MB calls. I didn't ask the guy at the service desk for which model year it is applicable (mine is a 2010) he simply said that only the ML550 has it ... so you getting a new ride this weekend?
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Interesting. I'll have to call my guy at the dealership to find out about this. Mine is an 09. Picking up an 08 SAN 220 TE Friday if all goes well
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-02-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
good luck - guess you'll have fun earlier than I do - just ordered a 4/3 wet suit as the water temps are still too cold here in MN ... not sure if I shall laugh or cry but this is what I picked up a few minutes ago ... didn't really need 3 ft of cable ...
Attached Images

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
Woah! That looks legit! Looks like you'll need to tie that down to the trailer... I'll let you know if the part I ordered from etrailer.com actually works or not (should be here tomorrow).
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
Checked with my buddy at the dealership and he said my ML550 doesn't have auto leveling. I'm pretty sure that the guy was referring to the air suspension...
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-02-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
bummer - hope your boat/trailer doesn't have a heavy tongue load - my epic is w/o all the stuff and gas 3400 lbs and the trailer clocks in at 1600 lbs ... still have to get on a scale to get the actual tongue weight - pulling is a no brainer but it really goes down when I hook the trailer up.

And yes - looks legit but was hoping for just the plug instead of 3 ft of wiring in between - will prolly take it apart and see if I can shorten it :-)
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-04-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
couldn't resist and I'm prolly just putting the resistors into the plug on the boat - just couldn't believe w/o taking it apart ...
Attached Images

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-07-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
I picked up the SAN on Friday and mine didn't need this adapter (the one on eTrailer.com). So I'm good for now I guess!!! I have a Dorsey trailer if that helps/matters...
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       05-07-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
so you got the boat?! cool - congrats - but is the trailer LED equipped?

I actually shortened the whole thing to about 1 ft length overall and was contemplating just to wire it into the trailer - but for now it works ok - so not going to play around with it - rather put my FAE on the boat - so I'm not getting nauseated when surfing
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-08-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yes the trailer is LED equipped. FAE is on my list of addons as well!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-08-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
I got the same adapter with the 3' cable. I mounted the assembly on the trailer tongue with self tap metal screws and the 7-5 pin adapter stays plugged together