Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
I just want to thank Justin Meyer and Slingshot for coming out riding with the Texas A&M Wakeboard club. Slingshot is sponsoring our tournament (www.ridecollegiate.com), so they sent Justin down for the weekend. He brought all of the 2008 Slingshot stuff, and we got to ride behind Brandon Holmes' 210 with about 12 people in it (thanks Brandon). The slingshot equipment is awesome. If you are thinking of buying a 2008 board, definately demo a slingshot. The response and pop of the board is like nothing else. Also, I couldn't believe how soft the landings were. Especially with a sacked out 210. I have been riding a 140 Platinum Marius for a long time, and it was a huge change. Hopefully Cody Sprayberry will post some pictures of today.
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       10-12-2007, 2:37 AM Reply   
How are the 08 boots, do they have the same lace system as 07?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-12-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden the 07. The 08's have the removable inner liner with an optional ankle harness. The ankle harness has laces on them that you can tighten down with the liner. Then the boot has 2 laces to strap up with. I dont know if I like the closed toes. The boots are really comfortable, I dont know if I like closed toe though.
Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-12-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
They are changing the lace system. Also the boots are going to be less bulky. The boots we rode yesterday have not been updated. I encourage a ride on one of these boards. I was very impressed and will be getting one as soon as the 08 are ready. Big props the Slingshot and Justin for the demo. I will post some pics as soon as I can.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-12-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
Slingshot is all about the rider support. Not only do they believe in their products, but they want you to see and try for yourself so that you have an educated opinion about their product.

Here on the central coast of Cali, Slingshots are no doubt growing in popularity!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-12-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
I think slingshot deserves to have its name represented on the board and binding reviews for wakeworld, especially after their great first year in the industry, getting voted best innovation, and forcing all the other companies to start playing catch-up, especially liquid force (i bet they really kicked themselves knowing they could have easily introduced flex earlier in the game since they too have a kite board family. I read some article somewhere that seemed to point out that Mike E. had been pushing for a flex board for some time too.) I wonder how liquid force's version (as well as other upcoming boards from other companies) will stand up to the competition... probably wont know till next year.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-12-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
Time will tell, but it will be hard for them to catch up! We are aready two years ahead of the comp.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-12-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
agreed (flexnwake)
Hopefully ALL companies will stop trying to make stiffer plates and just go to a four hole pattern too. Even if stiffer/ fancier plates do get to the point of eliminating heel-toe lift, i still think I like the idea of 4 bolts versus only two holding me down... just seems more secure in the long run.

As for the laces (flexnwake might be able to answer better than me/ correct me, especially since he sees the goods first hand and i have only read about 'em) The D2 (drive 2) boots laces are similar to '07 laces with two on the exterior and one for the interior liner. BUT the PB Floid (new boot for '08 line) has a total of two laces: one exterior and one interior, these might suit you better. All and all the '08 boots have been upgraded in every aspect in some way or another. Try them on...(with an open mind about the laces) its the only way to know.

I initially agreed that the '07 laces were a pain in the butt, however, with time you get used to the laces and you can get in and out just as fast as any other lace up boot. I have heard the '08's laces are easier to mess with none-the-less (including the d2) and that the lace clip is better and wont be falling off as easy.

p.s. there is an addition of a womans boot too... seems it takes after the pb floid}
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-12-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
all i have to say is that im blown away! i just took my new 07 set up out for the first time behind boat and it was awesome. im still not used to it at all but ive been told it takes a few sets. i seriously had a blast not even jumping but just carving around on it! i figured its a freeriders board so what better way to test it than with double ups.... it was unreal! so much pop it was insane, people in the boat said i was coming down from like 12 feet up and i wouldnt buckle at all on the landings. it really felt as if i had never left on my biggest double up hit! the only word to describe it would be explosive! have to say i love the boots and feel very secure in them, the inner lacing with the ankle brace is a God send. I couldnt be happier and its worth every penny! yall got any questions just ask away, ive never been so pumped about a setup in my 8 years of riding!
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       10-12-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
Hey leo could you explain to me a little bit how the A&M wakeboard club works. Im a senior in HS and live in texas and A&M is prolly my top choice in state school and I was pleasantly surprised when I visited and saw they had a wakeboard club.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
Slingshot never answered my e-mail. :-(
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-14-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
who did you email? u can email me at c.schey@slingshotsports.com

I can forward you to the right person.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-14-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Buttons snaps for lace clips. Super easy and simple, there is no lace dangle. I hate lace dangle!
Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-15-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
Mike S. you should just email him for some info on the club. leo0648@charter.net
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       10-15-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
After reading a lot about Slingshot I also wanted to try a setup. I live in the Netherlands and kiteboarding is bigger then wakeboarding. Because Slingshot is also a manufacturer of kiteboard give they testboards easy away compared to other companies.
Slingshot sends me the Response 142 with de driver boots, the 07 setup. When I received the board and looked at it. I was scared of the flat base. The riding conditions where perfect and I was riding behind an 07 air nautique 220. When I edged my first heel side I totally missed the pop because this board was so fast compared to my Omega. I think this the hardest crash a ever had. However after the crash I feel comfortable with the board, and get my normal pop. Unfortunately I don’t get more pop then my normal board. I thought that a flexible board give me more pop, not for me! But there was one interesting fact, the landings!!! The landings are so freaking soft, it is crazy how soft this board lands. Everyone who has bad knees need to buy this board.
I do like the plate system of Slingshot, It works fine and you don’t get lift. However I hate the lace system. I cost too much time. Overall I think Slingshot makes a good product, but I don’t going to buy it because of the binding.

(Message edited by robin_holland on October 15, 2007)
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-15-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Lace dangle is fixed with the 08 boots.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-15-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
hey slingshot...can i trade you my 07's for some 08's they sound nice.....hahahahah
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-15-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
Cody, where are the pics!
Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-16-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
Leo, sorry about that. I have been really busy. I sent a copy to Brandon. I thought he was going to post them. I will work on then today. I will get Brandon to send you a zip file of them as well.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-16-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Awesome, no rush. Just wanted to see some of the stuff that you took.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
Hey leo, can you tell me what boots the PBs relate to in the CWB line. Like how soft are they? And what boot do the D2 relate to in the CWB line? How do you like the board?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
I love the board. I really want to get one, my dad said for a Christmas present. Coming off a platinum marius 140, these slingshot boards land a lot softer. It is a completely different way to ride a board. The boots are really soft. With the liner, I think the footbed is a lot thicker and softer than my CWB Zeus. For the bindings, I have yet to find a pair of Closed Toe that I like. No matter what brand/size, they all hurt my toes. I have really wide feet, and I get a lot of pressure around the edge of my big toe and pinky toe. I only rode the PB (white ones). Without riding the bindings, they are some of the most comfortable bindings. I still love my zeus and don't think I will ever find anything better. Take my oppinion for what its worth. Someone was complaining that I am biased because Slingshot sponsored our tournament. Whatever, they aren't giving me a free board, and I admitted that their closed toes aren't for me.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Yeah i rode the marius last year to until i had to have surgery on my shoulder. Im getting a slingshot board hopefully soon and im just not sure what binding to choose. Were the PBs as stiff as the Zues or are more flexy?... is that a word?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
leo, i read somewhere that you have to land tail heavy to get the soft landings, but will land hard if you don't. true? if so, cool, but 99% of the boards out there will land soft if you land tail heavy, right?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-20-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
not true at all, i was bombin my recoil into the flats and landing middle of the board and on a few occasions nose heavy and all the landings were awesome! i urge all to hit massive double ups with this board, the landings were amazing! to put it in perspective, my hardest landing on the slingshot was equivalent to or a lil less harsh than a normal to easy landing on my old premier 141
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
i'm totally open to trying the recoil...i have a set-up sitting in the board rack at home. with that said, i'm worried about the landings as the board has no channels or anything to break up the water.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-20-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
joe- rode one yesterday, not diging the landings bro.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
I personally thought the landings were softer ANY way i landed, ESPECIALLY considering the idea that the '07 slingshot boots have NO foot bed(except for the layer of liner that is beneath your feet which is as thin as the foot beds back in the 90's), which initially worried me when i first started looking at slingshot gear. I too was worried about the lack of channels. Channels and molded in fins and stuff will make the board rigged and it will ruin the flex potential. It still cuts really nice... funner in-fact than other boards i've tried

KNOWING that the '08 bindings have the new gigantic fancy poron footbeds, i bet the board (AND BINDING) will be a "wake to wake softness" feel whether you're casing the wake or landing 10 feet into the flats! I'm really excited for next years season already! :-) i'll be buying my setup probably in april

When you get a chance to ride Joe, let us know what you think, even if you totally aren't stoked about it.
Old    alanp            10-20-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
leo i wasnt "complaining", just making a logical conclusion. glad you like the board.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
The board doesnt land like a normal board. I thought it landed soft no matter how you landed. I was riding a SAN 210 in those pictures with 12 people in the boat and stock ballast at 75' 24mph. All of my spins were landed on the trough, normally a hard landing but not on the slingshot. I think people really need to ride them a few times before they make a decision. For some reason, I was able to ride the board fairly naturally. It did screw up my friends, they couldn't even hit a wake jump.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-20-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
that's the best thing you could do for your riding.. get a board that makes you change your riding..
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
Magellan, dont knock it till you try it. I was exaggerating when I said my friends couldn't ride it. Most of them rode it no problem, but one of them was having trouble getting used to it. The board is really different. You really need to ride one 2-3 sets before you decide if it is not for you.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-20-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
Went out yesterday and a guy brought out a new slingshot board and boots. Everybody rode it and everyone said they did not like riding what felt like a broken wakeboard. Not one of them said it landed soft other then if you landed tail heavy and folded the board like a wet noodle. They all complained that when you landed your feet got compressed into the nothing lining and you felt the 4 bolt pattern slam into the bottom of your feet. I am sure that if you rode it enough you would get used to it. There is plenty of room in the market for many different style of boards just look at the roam. Some of these guys couldnt get it to go wake to wake unless they cut in like a huge raley cut. All of these guys are outlaw type riders.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-20-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
http://www.slingshotwake.com/2007/Riding.cfm

(Message edited by flexnwake on October 20, 2007)

(Message edited by flexnwake on October 20, 2007)
Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-22-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
I didn't find it hard at all to go w2w. I never felt the bolts either. If Im not mistaken, the bolts are countersunk in the footbeds. It would take a lot of pressure to feel them. The guys that rode with us were throwing whirleys, raleys, s-bends, 3's and 5's and never had any of these problems. I guess its just not for everyone.