Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       05-22-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
do comp wake vests like oniel goorus and stuff really keep you afloat? thanks
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-22-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
Kind of. Mine floats me about nose level.
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-22-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have a guru and im about 176 pounds and it floats me to where i have my mouth partially above the water
Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       05-22-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
I know they aren't coast guard approved, if i get caught riding with one on a public lake by the cops, will i get fined?
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-22-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
no, but keep a cga life vest on the boat for everyone or at least thats how it is on the river. If you don't have cga vests and a throw able flotation its a hefty fine.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-22-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
If you get knocked out and your board is not attached to your feet, it will not float you and you will sink like a rock.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Yeah Randy, but you'll be a stylish rock, with plenty of freedom of movement!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-22-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
get a sleeveless barefoot suit, you'll float like a cork and be able to take some slamming wipeouts and just go back for more, they are not cga.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-22-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
In Washington State if the cop suspects you are not wearing a CGA vest, they will stop you from riding and check and if you are not wearing a CGA vest....it is a large fine.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
I have the Helium Unapproved SWAT, I weigh 130lbs, I'm 5'5 and it floats me to my shoulders, I don't re-surface quickly, but I do re-surface. I also float well without my board.
It's got a lot of mobility too.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-22-2007, 11:58 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever died as a result of wearing a non cga vest while riding?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
I just bought Ronix's new vest. It's almost like not wearing a vest. You have to stand up in the water to keep from swallowing water. I'm not sure if I'll keep using it. But it feels like a freaking shirt. So I just hope I never get knocked out with it on.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-23-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Trevor, now try getting knocked out & breathing water. You will quickly sink like a rock. I used to use the Jet Pilot A-10, that thing sucked for float. I recently got the CWB Faction and it floats much better, but still is not CGA. The risk you take...
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-23-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Travis Moye commented on this issue a while back. I'll try to paraphrase his advise: put your vest on, get in the water without your board, then exhale. This will show you where you will float, or more likely sink, in the water.

After being knocked out last year, I want a vest that floats me. I'm willing to sacrifice some mobility for a few more years of life!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-23-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
Guy in Dallas was wearing an A-10, he was knocked out and sank. The driver saw this and literally had to pull him from under the water.

My question to you is: Are you that good or really need the mobility to warrant risking your life?

The quick answer is no, wear a CGA.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-23-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
I wear a A-10 and if I was not treading water I would sink down to face level. I have a CGA vest but it is so big I don't wear it. I'm looking for a good fitting CGA vest to ride with just in case. I love the fit of the A-10 but if I was not moving I will most likely be in trouble. Good times and be safe on the water.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-23-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
Josh, take a look at the O'Neill Law.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
There are some really slim approved vests out there.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-23-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
Brick ~~ Thanks for the post! I will hit the pro shop and look at it in person. The price is sure up there so I will have to shop around. Nice looking vest, with the comfort of a non cga vest.
Upload
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-23-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Try the Jet Pilot Full Metal Jacket. I had never found a flexible CGA before this, although I have always refused to wear anything but a CGA...because I'm not an idiot.

Well, with the FMJ you get the both of both worlds...a vest that floats you but one that is flexible enough to move around and reach all those different grabs.
Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       05-23-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
thanks for all your opinions!
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-23-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
I'm 5'10" 155pounds and my LF Watson Comp vest keeps me afloat when I fall. I use it on my jetski too and its fine.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
i hav the guru and im 150lbs and i ride at the delta.My head is above water when i wear it, and that all i rally need! i recommend getting one!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-23-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
my jetpilot falcon keeps me afloat very well!

its a small, i'm 160lbs and 6'
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-23-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
I must be fat! my A-10 floats me fine, not like my actual CGA vest but I don't have to work at keeping my head above the water.

I do know the difference between the 2, and when I am not just cruising then I wear my CGA.

Remeber neither vest will keep you face up. Face down rather 2 inches or 12 inches your still screwed!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
im 5' 10" and 130 pounds and my A-10 floats me well.

it kept my head above water afer i got knocked out last week
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-24-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Take a look at the 6am vest. I tried one on the other day and it fit very well. CGA and looks pretty good other than it has a big yellow logo on the back that I can't decide if I like or not. Unless I find something better I think I am going to get one soon.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-24-2007, 10:35 PM Reply   
the difference kenny... is if your face is 2 inches down... the rest of your body is floating, they pull you out, resuscitate you, you live... 12 inches down, becomes 24 inches down, becomes 10 feet down, (where did he go??? oh no, you are dead)... thats just the reality of things man... Ive been considering a comp vest but Im just not sure its worth it, I like my cga vest...
on another note... my friends LF impact comp vest floats real well, not quite on par with cga, but pretty good... your choice, your life, I wont comment either way because I may be purchasing a oneill vapor... it all comes down to fit and comfort (when Im waiting for the boat as well...)
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-24-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
I understand what you are saying Duane, but myself and the people I ride with, if you go down and we dont see a hand go in the air, we are promptly back at you.

Yes I agree you are at risk, like I said I only wear it cruising slow when I work on the basic
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-25-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
not trying to be debbie downer here, or a huge d*ick... but accidents happen at the most inopportune times... Corey Kraut, albeit not wearing a vest at all drowned on a fall on a backside 180 (pretty standard trick for a pro...) Ive never seen someone go down, just know it can happen fast, and that muscle sinks like a rock... sometimes I have to swim myself to the surface wearing friends comp vests... even wearing my cga at times as I feel I need to get to the surface and not be underwater...
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-25-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
The Vapor rocks...I love mine and float is pretty good. Kind-of a pain to get off, but its super comfy on the water
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
The JP Baller floats me well. I am 6'3 185. But i will say that I have never had the pleasure of going insanley big and eating it either!
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-25-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
The Vapor is a great vest with very good flotation for a comp, IMO. I took a very hard fall on a 3 last year while wearing it, however, and passed out for a few seconds. I woke up underwater, barely able to move correctly and somehow got myself back up to the surface (no thanks to the vest) - scared the crap out of me. If you're worried at all about flotation, get a CGA vest - I'll only wear my Vapor while surfing now. I went with the Helium CGA Swat and never looked back.
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
i recently bought a billabong comp vest and it works perfecto and looks like a regular vest. i've had jet pilots, helium's collin wright, and spent 100's on vest, but the most comfortable by far as cga goes: stearn's v-flex at walmart! go figure. it only has floating pads on the front and back. none on side or middle of back. extremely flexibleand $40!! try it, you'll be surprised
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
Piont is; I like my non CGA, I wouldn't recomend it though because we all float differently and some prefer the absolute saftey of a CGA, and I respect that, yes it's somewhat reckless to float only to the top of my shoulders, but that doesnt make me an idiot.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-28-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
The Jetpilot Cellblock is the most flexible CGA vest i've ever worn. Now I use the Hyperlite Parks which is also CGA and it is really comfortable.
Old     (jmiahhenry)      Join Date: May 2007       05-28-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
I used to do rescue for a speed ski association and I was the medic on our boat. Trust me a cga is the only way to go. If you are knocked out then you want to be on the top of the water. I never lost anyone but came close. And I was certified. I recommend that atleast the boat owner know CPR.

I have seen people hit there head and not make it...but I was never close enough to help.

It is just might to cents but it is worth about a million dollars, I think!
Old    umdank            06-03-2007, 12:17 AM Reply   
booo non comp vests. Look good, feel good, board good. Peace.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-03-2007, 4:04 AM Reply   
I just won a new Jetpilot Cellblock off Ebay for $70 shipped and the guy has a bunch of them. Everybody else wants $110. It shows you how much they mark this stuff up.
Old    malibu73            06-03-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
I have a Medium Jetpilot Cell Block vest for sell right now for $60 shipped if anyone is interested. I bought it new around Christmas time and have only used it about 10 times. I really need to get this thing sold. Sorry for the hijack....

(Message edited by malibu73 on June 03, 2007)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-03-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
I have a JP Baller and it floats me well, I may look for a nice CGA vest this year though. After reading about Murray getting knocked out last year (and he was wearing a CGA vest), I started rethinking how much I needed a Comp vest. My buddy just picked up the Ronix vest and it is about the equivalent of a shirt. I don't think that I will be riding in that. I have had enough falls that I couldn't tell which way was up to know that I like a little flotation.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-03-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
For me it only took one bad fall on a backroll to make me decide that I will never wear a non-approved vest while riding. It's too scary when you get knocked hard and the last thing I will be doing is figuring out which way is up. I recently picked up a Cell Block in last years colors for dirt cheap off BoardStop and love it.