Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       11-17-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Looking to replace prop on my 2000 Tige 21v limited. Currently running the stock OJ 13x13 4-blade legend and have seen some opinion that the acme 3 blade is a smart swap. Any feedback?
Old    troystubb            11-17-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I think that you get a little better out of the hole with a 3 blade, but a little less top end. The 4 blade props are a little less noisy. I have driven boats with both and I cant really tell the diffrence that much. Thats about all I can tell you
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-17-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
An Acme 4-blade will give you the best performance, but the difference between the 3 and 4-blade Acme cannot be felt. The 3-blades are a bit less expensive. My site - www.boarditup.com
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-17-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
You will not find any negative feedback going with Karl for you prop needs. He has taken care of quite a few WW's including myself. The difference between my 3 and 4 blade was unbelievable on my boat.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-18-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
I had a OJ 13x13 4 blade and went with a ACME 515 3 blade. A little better out of the hole.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-18-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
I was always under the asumption that a 4 blade prop was better for low end
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-18-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
It's not the number of blades as much as the cup and pitch of the blades that changes how quick the boat gets up on plane, and top end speed. It used to be that a four blade would balance out better thus being smoother than three, but now that Acme is using CNC to machine props, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the three and four blade.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-18-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
what would be the advantage to a prop with the same pitch and diameter but more cup? I know I have heard less RPM's, but what are the disadvantages. Am I wrong in thinking less RPM's means less fuel usage?
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-19-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
Karl is correct. Especially with a v-drive that has gear reduction and is used for ballasted running. Go with an ACME 4 blade CNC, you will not regret it. I went from an OJ non-CNC to an ACME CNC prop and felt like I gained 20 horsepower.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
There is no gear reduction in standard v-drives. All the v-drive does is switch the direction back towards the rear of the boat, then through your standard 1 to 1 tranny. There are some trannys with ratios other than 1 to 1, and the MB's with two forward speeds, but most are 1 to 1. You don't need to spend the extra $$ on a four blade from Acme. Again, it's more in the cup and pitch than the number of blades.

Erik, less rpm's doesen't always equal less fuel usage. You want the engine running in it's "comfort" zone. This zone should be set up for the weight and speed you use the boat the most. Too low of an rpm in this zone and you're bogging the engine down and using more fuel than needed. Same thing with too high an rpm in the zone.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on November 19, 2006)
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-19-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
Hey Sparky, did you end up going with the 525? If so how is it over the stock 515? Im still running the stock 13x13 four blade but will soon be reproping with one of the two. I run anywhere from 1200 to 2000lbs of ballast.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
You know I had initialy decided on the 525 but decided to call Acme back with some more questions, and after reconsidering I bought the 653. The 525 would of been fine for the weight I'm running now, (1100lbs.), but would not have given me a whole lot of room to go up from there. Sounds like the 653 would be your choice as well unless you're reguraly running around 2k then you might want to consider the 911.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-19-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
Sparky, how much top end did you loose going with the 653?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Whoops, I left that part out. I have not had the chance to make the prop change yet. My guess would be only a few MPH loss on top end, but I only occasionaly run at WOT anyway. Acme says I will lose around 200 to 250 RPM at WOT. That should equal a 2 or 3 MPH loss. I'll get some numbers and let you know here in a week or two.

P.S. I purchased it from Karl, I could not beat his price.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-04-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
just ordered my prop from boarditup. can't wait to see it.
Old     (speedy600)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-04-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
I know you got the prop already, but just for the info, this is straight from OJ and ACME. 3 blade will give a hare better top end, but a 4 blade has more torque low end. The 4 blade is suppossed to produce a larger, firmer wake, where the 3 blade tends washes a little more. I have an Ambush 4 (michigan wheel) personally, but I am direct drive with a powerslot.