Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-05-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about ordering an 03 Wakesetter VLX and was inbetween the Titan Series II (polished) or the Boss Malibu Billet? I have to fold my tower everyday to go into my garage and I don't want a tower that will rattle. The tower has to be easy to fold and have no rattle. I know the Boss is about $500.00 more then the Titan. Please help.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-05-2003, 1:24 PM Reply   
Take your pick. Both appear to be pretty sweet.
Think about form and function (pulling the rope, holding boards, holding speaker, holding a bimini).

bu_titan

bu_billet
Old     (scott44)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-05-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
Titan II all the way, strongest and best tower on the market in my opinion
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-05-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
BTW, I think the new Titan is awesome. I do also wish they did a stretch bimini, from tower pole to tower pole, that would eliminate most of the bimini hardware. I don't care for extra bimini poles on any boat/tower.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-05-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
Titan is a great company, Ijust kinda like the looks of the Boss, that is why i'm undecided
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-05-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
The new Boss looks "trick" but when it comes down to function...I would give them a season or two to work out all the new design kinks (if any?) It looks a little low for speakers/lights? Racks look like they might create a blind spot? Where does the bimini attach? How much rigidity do those crucial areas of billet support on each side? Titan has a proven product and in my experience has been one of the most rigid towers I have ever ridden behind. Their new II series has nice lines! Looks functional with spinner racks, bimini, and light housings on top! Can you believe all this is coming from a guy who upgraded to a Boss "Swoop" on his new Tige? Geez, talk about objective! Good luck :-)
Old    beercity            04-05-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
The Titan II tower is the best tower on the market right now that combines functionality with great looks. It is rattle-free and SUPER strong, plus it can handle all the accessories you can throw at it. The polished version that is in the above picture is very cool looking.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-05-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
I really like the look of the BOSS but I would have to go with the Titan because it's proven and it will do everything that you need, and it's CHEAPER!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-05-2003, 7:09 PM Reply   
My Titan tower is as rock solid and quiet as they come and it takes about 10 seconds to break it down. Their only problem will be that they're going to have a tough time improving on it!

I'm not familiar with the Boss tower.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       04-05-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
Plain and simple, Titan towers live up to the hype. I have no experience with Boss but I have been around a Titan on an older Sunsetter for 2 years now and it's as good as they come.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-05-2003, 9:35 PM Reply   
My garage door opening is 6' 10" (lower than most). I just went through this process on my '03 VLX, and here's what I decided:

I eliminated the Titan II because the walk through window rests on tower when open, and there is only marginal ability to clear my garage door @ 6'10". I was told I may need to remove the tow spool each time.

I eliminated the Boss Billet because the "double" joint that allows tower to fold forward looks poorly engineered, but even more, the top bar seem very low to accomodate speakers and bimini.

I chose the Skylon Low Profile Swoop. This is a bolt-together after-market tower. It is solid, accommodates speakers and an after-market bimini, and fits easily into my garage while still attached to my tow vehicle.

An ironic note, the Skylon bimini doesn't fit under the Skylon DeafCon III speakers. Who'd have thought!

I need to update my profile pic

Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
A couple pics of the folding Boss Billet...
billet
billet2
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       04-06-2003, 8:45 PM Reply   
I had the Titan I on my previous boat and ordered the polished Titan II on my current boat. The Titan tower is incredibly sturdy and easy to break down for garage storage. I have looked at other towers, but the Titan seems to be a better engineered tower in my opinion. If the looks/style doesn't bother you, Titan is the way to go.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2003, 5:11 AM Reply   
I personally think the Boss Billet looks sweet!

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-07-2003, 6:49 AM Reply   
Phillip:
How is that new mirror mount working for you? I first saw these on the 03 MC's and I thought they looked sweet! Does it allow you to move it around enough to suit drivers?
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
Those pictures are not of my boat. I have a VLX with the factory Swoop tower on it. If I was to change out my tower or buy a new VLX, I would choose the Billet tower. I do know that the mirror is fully adjustable. You can move the arm up and down. The mirror slides from side to side and swivels up and down.