Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (millerthymes)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-06-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
Someone help me with suggestions!!!!!! Please!!! I have 6 boat speakers and 6 tower speakers all are brand new Alpine 6 1/2 coax's. So twelve total speakers plus a 10" Rockford sub. For amps I have 2 brand new Rockford 4 channel amps. The first amp has the center 4 speakers on the tower wired to the front channels in stereo. The rear channels on that amp are wired to the remaining outside 2 tower speakers and the 2 front speakers in the boat. The second amp has the 4 rear speakers in the boat wired to the front channels and the sub is bridged on the rear channels of the amp. All coax's are wired in parallel thus giving me a 2ohm load on all my channels withe exception of the sub. My problem is that the 4 center tower speakers keep sounding like the tweeters are blown but the key here is that the bad sound keeps switching from the left pair to the right pair randomly??????? All the other speakers in the boat and the outside 2 tower speakers sound fine. I foamed and dynamatted the cans to see if it would help but had no luck. Have checked the wiring and the speaker wires with my meter for short with no luck either. Does any one have any suggestions. As well I just got the boat out for the first time since installing the stereo in which I installed a second Optima bluetop for a total of 2 batteries( 1 for the boat and one for the stereo). My volt gauge on the dash is now only reading a little over 12 volts. Do I need bigger alternator for just 2 batteries?? Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-07-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
Check the voltage right at the amp when the speakers sound bad. If the amp isn't getting sufficient voltage then it will not sound right.

If the volt meter on the dash isn't reading at least 13 volts then your alternator is not providing enough current. Adding a second battery will only extend (by an hour or so) the time before you are dead. If you are not producing what you consume, you need to either consume less or produce more.

Before you jump to that conclusion, however, can you expand on your statement? If the engine isn't running and you are getting 12 volts then there isn't a problem at all. Before you apply what I said in the paragraph above see what the guage reads after you have been running at cruising speeds for at least 5 minutes.
Old     (millerthymes)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-07-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
The gauge is reading a little over twelve while at idle and I didn't check it while running all the way across the lake. I used to be in the car audio industry over eight years ago so I have lost a step or to but should this thing read at least 14-14.4v?? I understand what your saying about the have insufficient voltage to the amp but cant figure out why it's only on the front channels of that amp. I thought maybe it was the cheap patch cables that I am using but the RCA inputs on the amp are set to 2 channel mode which if that was the case then the rear channels of the amp would sound bad. I am at a loss. Bad amp?? Bad speakers?? Bad day!!!!!

Thank you for your response. Maybe I will put the meter on it while running just to verify the gauge functionality. Let me know if you can think of any thing else. What do you think the amps on the alternator should be for 2 Optima's. I am not sure what came on the boat but will check it out. Again thanks for the help.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2005, 6:05 AM Reply   
Upgrade to a min of a 105 amp alt. It will produce close to 110 amps at WOT , closer to 25-30 at idle. around 80-90 amps @ 3000 RPM's. There is a guy selling 135 amp marine alt's on ebay. do a search and you'll find it...I think it's by a place called alterstart in Dallas.