Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
I just got a new 7 week old Golden Retriever I'm wondering when everyone started to allow a puppy on there boat....How old and what not?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-23-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
We took ours out at about 6months, just because that was how old he was when it got warm enough. One word of caution, keep the stereo volume down. I put in a cd and forgot about the dog sleeping on the floor. It scared the crap out of him. That was a year ago. I am still cleaning hair out of the boat.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-23-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Our puppy was about 2.5 month's when we took her out. They sleep most of the time so it's not that big of deal. Just watch them when they wake up and need to go pee. We have our dog go pee on the swim deck. If we think she needs to go poo we swim her over to the shore now that she is a 1.5 years old. Teach her from day one what is expected out of her on the boat so when she gets older she'll be calm and not out of control.

Give her some time to learn how to swim also. Don't just throw her in let her get in on her terms. It might take her until the end of summer to get use to the boat.

When she does start swimming and she wants back in the boat don't pull her up by her coller. Put your hand on the back of her head and push she'll push back and just climb right onto the swim deck.
Old     (wildcatter)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-23-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Wait until he's house trained or crate him- you don't want to be cleaning up after him when he has an accident. My Viszla stands on the bow letting me know he needs to go. I pull close to shore, he swims to shore and does his business, then swims back to the boat.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-23-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
We had our lab in there at 3.5 months. Stay near a shore so when they have to dump, you can make it.

We keep her on a blanket on the floor. She stays pretty mellow.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-23-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
We are about to bring home our puppy too and had the same questions. I am hoping to train her to go potty on the swim step.

Our problem will be to find a place that's just for her to be that isn't in the way. I thought about the "play pen" but it's too bouncy up there and I would be worried she would bounce out.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
I ride on a river so I'm always near a sandy shore..I just don't want to make him sick or anything like that from being on the boat on a hot day....I wouldn't stay out all day with him maybe just a few hours. Think I'm safe?
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-23-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
the dog will be ok in the bow when it gets older, when there young they like to sleep under the dash.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thats what I was kinda thinking bring his bed/pillow and put it under the dash, then every half hour or so head to a beach for a few min. to see if he needs to go to the bathroom, maybe start getting him in the water just a LITTLE.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Dennis, that golden retriever will have no problem with the water... I had one about 20 years ago and we couldn't get that damn dog out of the water.... I thought we was part dog part fish. Good luck.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
Haha, thats good to know david I'm real excited for his first time in water! And that day will hopefully be tomorrow. Maybe I'll get some pics..Lets see some pictures of dogs out on the water......
Old     (rzrich)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
Goldens are great boat dogs. We brought our's out at less than a year old with no problems. One thing I did that might be helpful is wrapped (not tied) his leash around the ski pole a couple times and kept it around my wrist while driving. It kept him where I could keep an eye on him and also in the shade.I wouldn't advise attaching the leash to anything just in case something happens. The last thing want is your puppy attached to a sinking boat.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-23-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Dennis... The only problem you'll have is getting your dog out of the water.... Our golden jumps in anytime the boat stops moving. Once we're moving she just lays down. They're great boat dogs.

We've never had any trouble with her peeing in the boat, but she was about 10 months old before we got her on the boat for the first time.

Have fun.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-23-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Dennis our dog was about 8 weeks when we first to her to the water. We had he on one of those leashes that goes out and reals back in.

So we go to down to the docks and she just starts going nuts the closer we get to the water. I'm thinking great Shasta (puppy) is going to love the water. She goes running down to the water to get her feet wet and didn't see the drop off. I could see it coming but couldn't get my finger on the stop but fast enough. Off the ledge she goes and she sinks like a rock. It was pretty funny. It was at the end of the season so I figured she would forget about by the time we boated the next year with her. She didn't forget. I took her almost almost all of boating season to get her to swim. Now that she has it figured out we can't keep her out of the water.

My point being don't push your dog to swim and don't let her just jump in becasue it will freak her out.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-23-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
both my dogs have gone #1 in my boat. my fault we went out for long ride sessions both times. It cleaned up pretty easily but the chicks on board were freaked out.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-23-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
We took our chocolate out as soon as he was swimming well. I wouldn't bring him out before then...every couple of hours we pull the boat close to an island or shore, he jumps out, swims to shore, does his business and swims back. I highly reccomend training the pup when he/she is ready.UploadUpload
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-24-2007, 1:05 AM Reply   
I am sure our 2 choc labs would love to be on the boat, but both the lakes here that we can use prohibit dogs on boats, or within, I believe, 75 feet from the shoreline. I know, it sucks bigtime. If/when we take a river trip, they will get their first boat ride. I really want to get one of them on the wakesurfer!
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-24-2007, 5:40 AM Reply   
Great pics man!! Keep them coming guys!!!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-24-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Buzz, what is the purpose of the dog ban on your lakes?
Old     (greenspirit_hydro)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
BIG DOGS ON BOATS? I was wandering if my big dogs nails would pierce the leather on the boat? Is that stuff usually durable enough for a dog?
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
keep the nails trimed, or do what i do take him on lots of walks(on concrete) and you will be fine
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-24-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of our dog when she was pobably 2 or 3 months old on the boat.
We take her out sometimes to just cruise or hang out but if we are out riding she is all over the place and we usually leave her at home.
She is not the typical water dog but likes to get in and swim around a bit.

Upload
Upload
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-24-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Ok, so I was so pumped to go out today, but the wind is blowing around 40mph!! Looks like its going to have to wait till the weekend.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-24-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
My dogs love the boat, but hate my subwoofer. They also don't approve of me being in the water when they are dry (retrievers, NSDTR's).

Upload