Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
Kurt Root started a thread a while ago about riding together in michigan. Now that the weather is shaping up...we need to push our group. new Jersey has got something going.....we need to do the same. We are the Great Lake state. Plenty of aqua to play in. We can gather at different places thru out the season. This would be a really cool thing. Who's in? I say we start with Kurt Roots spot....on another note...July 26th I have Gerry Nunn doing a clinic. And I am looking for riders. My buds bailed on the 26th,,,originally we had it set up for the 19th which would have worked for my buds. But it is first come first serve. email me for full details on price and location. I do have three riders in line so far. So spaces are filling fast. Could possibly set up a second date if it works in Gerry's schedule. I am providing lunch for free.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-14-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Scott,

I am in and possibly some buddies for the Nunn clinic.

Jake
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
I am down to have people here in Battle Creek lets set somethng up.
June 24th All Day
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-14-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
If anyones down with riding, driving, or spotting on a loaded X1 on Lake Charlevoix in Boyne City, northern MI, let me know.

Took the first sets of the season two weeks ago up there, mighty cold but totally worth it. After that the water will feel like a hot tub in a couple weeks.

I expect everyones getting out for Memorial Weekend if you haven't yet..??

I think it would be cool to throw up your Michigan wake pics throughout the season as well, just to keep the thread interesting.

Upload
May 4, 2007 - Lake Charlevoix

Upload
same morning (captured from vid)

Upload
tailfish - whoops
Old     (wakepunk16)      Join Date: May 2005       05-14-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
any of you michigan riders riding up in the U.P.. i go to school at northern and we bring my boat up and shred the U.P. lakes
Old     (wakepunk16)      Join Date: May 2005       05-14-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
some pics from our secret little lake in the U.P.
Old     (truk)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-14-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Lets set an initial date. Scott, we should ride at your place first; it looks like the closest location for the guys from the south. We can decide what boats to bring when we find out who is coming. I am a teacher, so my summer is open!

Jake, Adam Wensik is an awesome rider and a down to earth guy. I saw him ride in a couple tournaments.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-14-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
Here is my backyard. Looks rough now, but next spring - water.
Upload
Upload
Upload

I don't know if you can see it, but there are 3 lakes being dug side-by-site. We will start underground utilities next month.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Roddyrod ... I'll be on Lake Charlevoix on Saturday of Memorial weekend visiting my Uncle ... I would love to bum a ride. There cottage is on Spring Water Beach Road, just past the state park. Are you near?

As for meeting up, is Scott's place near Howell?
Old    d_fresh            05-14-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
SE Michigan invites you to ride!!!:
Old    d_fresh            05-14-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
One more time
Upload
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2007, 5:04 AM Reply   
Chris Trimner I am going to bum a ride from you when I vacation to the U.P. this Summer. That butter looks awesome. Kurt Root...your on bud....I will set up a time and date and post it right here. See if we can overpopulate the lake with boarders instead of tubers. Karl...your diggin your own private lake? Way cool....I want to check it out when you get it finished. Could hold a clinic like the one I am having with Gerry in a setting like that. I went to a Lavelle clinic wayyyyyy back in 98 on a private lake. it was awesome. Butter all day long. Doug...thanks for the post...I know I will be at least at two of those events. Good times. I am looking into starting a wakefestival in mid Michigan next year. I already have the endorsement of one major board company (four other s very interested) and two boat companies are in. And three pro board riders will attend. Again, it won't be until 08 season. But it is gonna be a total blowout with all the planning going into it. Anyone who wants to be part of the development, contact me thru email. It is going to be a lot of fun.
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-15-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Doug Gierosky where are you riding at in the SE, I am living around the Auburn Hills area and looking to ride as much as possible. I also have a winch that needs to get used a ton, ready to go anytime...

Scott, I'll send you a email, sounds like a good event, and want to be a part of it!!!
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
i got a place in Howell with a tige.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
Jason...did you say Howell Dude we need to ride sometime. I am from Howell as well. I am having Gerry Nunn out for a clinic on July26th in our area. Let me know if your interested. Should be great to watch Gerry get some serious Huge air.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
Joe- I sent you a PM about Memorial weekend.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
I'm form mighigan like all you guys, i live in Rochester but ride just north of there at lakeville lake.
Old     (blkid)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
If you want the best lake in michigan go check out burt lake 9 miles long and 3 miles wide
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-17-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Hey DOUG!

I would like to get you guys some shirts and stickers for your events, plus get them on our events calender.

Hit me up Mike@midwestwakeboarder.com

For all other MI riders, you have your own forum at www.midwestwakeboarder.com feel free to make it your home!
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
shop guy - the best lake is Michigan is 9 x 3 miles but it is called Crystal Lake and it is in Frankfort MI. I just sent my old boat up there so I can use it during the summer when I am up there. I am enjoying the LE Zues bindings that you sold me as well and my buddy likes his 06 Zues bindings that you hooked him up with. I will stop by and say hi when I get the chance.
Old     (blkid)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
thanks chris...how big is crystal? Burt is the 2nd largest in michigan next to mullet or maybe 3rd...thanks for the support,,
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
As for the best lake for wakeboarding in MI. Actually it's not a lake but a river. Proof is in the pudding. Approx. 14 miles long and 100yards wide.

http://www.liquidglassmedia.com/wake/liquidglass.htm

FYI: Rider is Kurt Root
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
It is 9 x3 miles and is south of Traverse City on the west side of the state. Basically it is right next to lake Michigan. We have some property up there and my wife's family has a cottage on the lake. The water is crystal clear (hence the name) and there are a ton of white sand beaches. I don't have any pics on my computer but this lake is dope.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
root - that river does look pretty sweet and you killed it out there. Good times for sure.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-17-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
Just because its the biggest lake doesn't mean its the best... I ride most of the summer on one of the biggest lakes in the state, and although you can't beat being able to drive in straight lines for miles with no one around, the window of opportunity for calm conditions is much smaller due to the wind.
Old     (blkid)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
chris,

burt lake is 17,000 acres and chrystal lake is 9800..burt is 2nd and chrystal is michigan 9th largest lake...
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-17-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Okay, I gots a deal for you guys!

You guys get a grassroots get together going in MI and Midwestwakeboarder will sent you out a gift pack to mark the occasion.

Drop me an email when you guys get a location and date set up, I will get you a few shirts and you can help bring "what new jerseys got going on" over to MWW.

This is what I love to see, people getting together just to ride and have fun.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
root ... keep that location on the DL.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-18-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
I think my lakes at 2,150 feet long, 280 feet wide, and 15 feet deep will ride pretty well. Not a long stretch, but the shore is engineered and constructed to prevent washback and reflections. Butter every pass. Should be rideable in '08. I'll have a grand opening event.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
Roddyrod- I agree on the good water call. We usually just head to the side of the lake that the wind is coming from and glassy water can almost always be found. Bigger is definately not better.

shop guy - I never stated Crystal was the biggest but it is a very sweet lake. I love the water clarity and all of the white sand beaches that you can hang on when not in the boat. I have gone up there every summer for the last ten years and I love it. Where is Burt Lake? I really only know the west side of the state since that is the only place I ever visit up in Michigan.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-18-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
karl let me know, maybe we can line up some pros for the grand opening. might want to start asking now so they can get it on their schedule. make a big festival out of it. Maybe hold our Wakefest at your place. I will volunteer to help put something together if you like.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-18-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Scott, I'm in Clarkston... shoot a ton of video/stills pros and friends. Definely should get a ride sometime. Most of my crew are teachers in Clarkston and don't work all summer. Total riot!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-18-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
I wish I was a teacher to take the Summer months off....I am totally jealous. You should get your teacher possy together for a Nunn clinic. He is going to be at Skiers Pier July 27th. He might be able to schedule more appearances if Skiers is full for that day. I have him doing a clinic on July 25th...It was the 26th, but we moved it to better accomodate Gerry's schedule. So let me know...I can connect you to the Nunn...Hey if he is in the area...might be able to take advantage and see the dude get the sickest air...everything for Gerry is to go BIG! Banks...if you shoot...we could use you. Now we have to convince Karl that his private lakes might be a great host for this event. Like I said, it might not be until 08 when we do this wakefest. The Pro riders for the most part are on a set schedule for this season.
Old     (rs1071)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-18-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
Anyone in the Grand Rapids area? I will also be in Houghton in Sept. with my X-1 for the UP riders.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-18-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
im in hudsonville
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Allendale
Old     (truk)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-19-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
root-I agree with Chiznit, keep it on the DL!!!!!!!!!

Bankssa, I live in St. Johns and have the summers off. If you need another rider/driver shoot me an email. All my crew, have to work all summer and live an hour away or more.
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-20-2007, 4:57 AM Reply   
metro D and west branch/ gladwin area on weekends
Old     (themann39)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-20-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
Sterling hts weekends and just outside of clare on the weekends
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-20-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Trimner-
You got your boat up here all summer? We'll have to hook up again. Email me your phone #....

Is this the same "secret" lake as above?

Upload
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       05-20-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Jamie...what's up bud. Is that the same secret lake that we rode on couple years ago? If I am up that way this summer we will definitely have to hit up that lake again!
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-20-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
Yeah.... That's the one.

I knew I shouldn't have shown that lake to Chris! How did your event go?
Give me a call or email if you're up here. I'll school ya in a little B-ball in the driveway too...
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-20-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
duuudeee jamie if that lakes in south west michigan u have got to tell me where it is...ill give u a ride behind my 05 SAN210 or my buddies 05 VLX
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-20-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
It's in the U.P.... and that's as specific as I'm going to get!!!
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       05-20-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
The event went great man! We raised over $1700 that went to the American Cancer Society and that didn't include the $2500 that we gave away in gear that a bunch of people sent us. I was really happy of how it turned out. My mom would have been proud!!

Max, where do you ride in south west lower michigan?
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-21-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Mucktoerider....

I'd be in to setting up a day with Gerry (and can fill a boat for a day with my crew).... I've shot video of him twice... I met him the first time at Shapiro's four years ago and then again at Murry's a few years ago... he can kill it and it a really great guy... Super laid back, level headed.... I'll dig up the vid I did of him in 04 and post it... If you are contacting him ask if he has another day in town available... Let me know I can get in touch with him through Murray but I don't have his number direct.
Always up for a ride and shooting stills and vid.. anytime
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-21-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/img/735

Here it is... this is really old school.... Nunn and Shipiro killin it for the time... funny how much riding has changed since then but no one goes any bigger than these guys. the edit is basic but fun to watch....
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-21-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/img/7352

This is the real link... forgot the 2 on the end of the last one...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
I'll call Gerry today and see if he can work in another date around that time frame. I'll talk to him about getting some shots and vid of all of us kids at play. That would be very cool.n Thanks Scott. I know for sure that the Wakefest in Michigan is going to happen for 08, and we will need pics and vid for that as well. Got a confirmation on 5 places that it can be held. Stay tuned for updates. Trying to work a few pros to join the event.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-21-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
I know Dallas, Cobe, Josh Sanders, Perry Richmond, Murray and a few more I'd be glad to ask them. They get really busy in the summer but have occasional time free.... I'll see most of them in Orlando on the 4th of July... they are usually there becasue there aren't any contests at that time... Get me the details so I can pass it on...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Will do Scott....that would be great! Some riders were asking ...why not this year in season 07....For the very reason that you mentioned...the pro riders are really busy during the Summer......We want part of the pro riders busy schedule next Summer to be our wakefest here in Michigan. Hopefully I will have most if not all the information by the second week of June for you. I will send you an email of what we have lined up so far.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       05-21-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
I have to ask for some help from the Michigan Riders....and am partially hijacking this thread- I apologize. I am from Toledo, but will be spending this coming Memorial Day weekend at Lake St. Clair. My bro in law just moved up there and lives off a canal on the lake. I am bringing my boat - and am planning on riding as much as possible. I know this is a huge lake - but any pointers on where to find good water would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on making another post - but thought this would help.

End hijack - thanks again!!!

I would also be in for the Nunn Clinic on the 26th with Jake - he rides w/me.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-22-2007, 4:22 AM Reply   
I highly doubt you could wakeboard on St.Clair this weekend..... It will seem much more like an ocean than a lake... You will have all sorts this weekend tearing it up. It rarely rideable when no one is out there...

Sorry...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2007, 4:52 AM Reply   
Nate and Jake....sorry the Nunn clinic is full at this moment. Talked with Gerry last night, we are working on seeing if his schedule will allow another date to be scheduled. He mentioned he might be able to do a half day. Stay tuned right here. Or I will email you once I know what is going on for sure. Gerry called me to see if we had any room in our clinic left because he has another rider in our area that wants in. I am thinking we have way more than enough people to schedule a second day. I am hoping to know before weeks end. Gerry takes to the road June 6th...so we'll know definitely before then. Lake St. Clair would be tough to board on....water will be chop and traffic will be awful. There are plenty of other lakes that would work out better. Check out michigan dnr, recreation, boats, and inland lake maps...then just start picking county's to go to. This gives you a map of depths and possible water hazards. Hope that helps.
Old    d_fresh            05-22-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Here's a great story. A couple of years ago Skiers Pier had Gerry for 2 days. It was near one of the holidays. The first day was filled up. The second day, I was the only one signed for it. It was like having a private lesson. For me it was fantastic!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Gerry Nunn is adding a second day to our clinic. The difference is the location is going to be in Battle Creek because of his tour schedule. So look it up on mapquest and let me know if your down with that. The date I do believe that we are working with is July 26th. That was my original clinic date, but we moved ours to the 25th to accommodate the Nunn's schedule. So who is in? We already have about 6 guys signed for this clinic, and I think we are maxing them at 10. Send me an email if your are interested.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-22-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
Nate- I'll second that your probably not going to be able to wakeboard anywhere on st. clair. Just go to gull island and drink with everyone else. I don't even take my boat out there on fear it would be capsized lol.
Old     (truk)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-22-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
We should find a lake and do a wakefest this year. Even if there are no pros. We could pick a date and lake, then whoever wants to come could come and bring their boats.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
Kurt...I second that motion....it will be a blast just the same. We can make it a big pow wow for next year for sure. Maybe having one this year will help our creativity and planning for the next one.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-23-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
Battle Creek on the 26th is tough for me... I have some local committments... that would be a good drive.

I would be down for a wakefest... where? When? any thoughts? Pontiac Lake Beach... should be easy to get... huge beach...
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       05-23-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
I would be in, along with Jake for a wakefest party if it were in southern Michigan....well - can Ohio riders come? LOL

Jon - capsizing your boat? brutal - does the lake get that chop? - or do all the weekend warriors come out with their IO's ripping tubers around the lake?
is it worth bringing a V-drive to the lake at all or will I be miserable with it?
thanks!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-23-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
St. Clair is brutal....I would not attempt. You will feel that your effort was a waste, if your plans were to board. Ohio....you are always welcome. Anyone is welcome to the wakefest. Most likely the fest will be central to southern Michigan. Just got to see what fits best and when. Kurt and I will work hard to find the most appropriate setting.
Old     (neller0414)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
whats up guys, im nate, i work with scott. he has now reminded me how fun it is to talk about wakeboarding all day long at work in preparation for hittin the water in the evenings lol. so i live in keego harbor, my supra launch is on sylvan lake and 2 of my neighbors both have wakesetters, we're out all the time feel free to shoot me a pm if you're in the area and wanna come ride. we board, surf, skate, ski, pretty much everything behind the boat so whatever u wanna do. plus twc board shop is right around the corner. nice to meet u all, hope to ride with some of you this year. the bottom pick was a pretty crappy day and an untailored wake, normally the water back on otter lake (connected to sylvan) is nice and smooth.
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by neller0414 on May 25, 2007)