Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-31-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...are-420960137/
Old    SamIngram            01-31-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
I think its pretty interesting that we have a law that some people have to follow and others do not. Isn't this a violation of equal protections clause of the 14th Amendment?

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I guess the 14th Amendment only applies to the states?

Can you think of any other laws that only apply to some people, but not all?
Old    bigdtx            01-31-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
Washington Times = Not Credible.
Old    SamIngram            01-31-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
What in the story isn't credible? It's a general story with few details. The Obamacare waivers are common knowledge and you can find articles about them everywhere.... pick a credible source and do a search.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-31-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
LMFAO. Nothing to dispute, so shoot down the source. Seriously. You obama supporters will stop at nothing to defend him.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-31-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
Sam is correct, the waivers do exist. But there is a bit of an issue; All of these companies are not supporters of the Obama Administration.

As of Dec. 3, the federal government had approved a total of 222 one-year waivers that allow the insurance plans at companies like McDonald's, Jack in the Box and Ruby Tuesday, and unions, to ignore the requirement on annual limits. The lobbyists for the restaurant industry, National Restaurant Assoc., are staunch opposers of "Obamacare", factcheck.org. How exactly do they classify as "Obama's buddies"?

The companies haven't been granted permission to ignore the entire law, but many have been given one-year waivers to delay compliance with a key insurance mandate that was put into place this fall. The White House says it instituted the waiver process to enable those companies to continue to provide limited-benefits plans -- cheap, bare-bones policies called mini-med plans -- until the law is fully implemented in 2014.

These are not total waviers and they are not permanent.
Old    SamIngram            01-31-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Sam is correct, the waivers do exist. But there is a bit of an issue; All of these companies are not supporters of the Obama Administration.

As of Dec. 3, the federal government had approved a total of 222 one-year waivers that allow the insurance plans at companies like McDonald's, Jack in the Box and Ruby Tuesday, and unions, to ignore the requirement on annual limits. The lobbyists for the restaurant industry, National Restaurant Assoc., are staunch opposers of "Obamacare", factcheck.org. How exactly do they classify as "Obama's buddies"?

The companies haven't been granted permission to ignore the entire law, but many have been given one-year waivers to delay compliance with a key insurance mandate that was put into place this fall. The White House says it instituted the waiver process to enable those companies to continue to provide limited-benefits plans -- cheap, bare-bones policies called mini-med plans -- until the law is fully implemented in 2014.

These are not total waviers and they are not permanent.
But who chooses who gets a waiver? How do I get one for my company? Does the 14th Amendment apply?

Judge Vinson ruled that Congress doesn’t have the authority to force anyone to buy health insurance. As written, the unconstitutional health insurance mandate can’t be separated from the rest of the measure approved in 2010, the judge said. So he suspended the entire law.

“I emphasized once before, but it bears repeating again: this case is not about the myriad problems in our health care system,” the judge’s opinion says. “In fact, it is not really about our health care system at all. It is principally about our federalist system, and it raises very important issues regarding the Constitutional role of the federal government.”

Judge Vinson’s decision in Florida joins an earlier ruling by a federal court in Virginia, which struck down key parts of the law.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-31-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
^But Judge Vinson's ruling isn't where it will end. More than likely, a higher court will overturn the judge's ruling and then we can expect the process to be a continuous cycle.

I was not addressing the fact whether I agree if waiver's are "fair" or not. I was addressing an issue with the article as it seems to paint an inaccurate picture as only "Obama's buddies" are granted the waivers.
Old    SamIngram            01-31-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
^But Judge Vinson's ruling isn't where it will end. More than likely, a higher court will overturn the judge's ruling and then we can expect the process to be a continuous cycle.

I was not addressing the fact whether I agree if waiver's are "fair" or not. I was addressing an issue with the article as it seems to paint an inaccurate picture as only "Obama's buddies" are granted the waivers.
Huh? It will go to the Circuit Court for appeal and then to the US Supreme Court, without a doubt no circle will be allowed...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-31-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
But if the Circuit Court turns overturns the ruling, it won't go to the Supreme Court. The bill has been taken to court in the past (I think this is the 3rd time), then another state will argue against the constitutionality, and we will be having this argument again. Sam, I know how the process works, let's not argue semantics from my simple two line post, maybe we can agree on an imperfect circle?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-31-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
To answer your earlier question, I don't know how you can get your company exempt. And to answer an earlier question, I think the 14th Amendment is circumvented on many occasions.