Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-25-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
Ok, here is the situation. I have two batteries with a perko switch. I just installed a second amp. I have a rockford 300 watt on the tower speakers, and a kicker 750.1 on the sub. When the volume is turn up pretty high the stereo cuts off. I noticed the volt reading on my guage is a little over 10 volts. I am thinking I have some bad batteries, so I charged them over night. Today while we were on the water I had the music on while we were anchored (not loud at all) and my small back up battery got drained in about 25 minutes. Is this normal? How do you all run your music while anchored? What can I do? I am thinking about pulling my batteries and getting some better ones, but I don't want to do that and have the same problem. Any advice or previous experiences?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
I'd swap out the batteries, doesn't sound like they are taking a charge very well. To check them charge them fully and they should be reading just over 12v with the boat off. You sure your alternator is working. If it isn't your battery is supplying the power to everything on the boat.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Totally agree with nu bu. Good advice.

Take those batteries to a garage, they will generally bench test them for free; that'd be my first port or call....
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
what kind of batteries do you have now, when you say "my small back up battery got drained in about 25 minutes" that might not be a problem with the battery and may just be that's all the reserve capacity the batteries have. Like nu bu said though have the batteries checked out to make sure they're ok but if they're undersized for your load you may still have to get new bigger ones.

Stereo's are only as good or loud as the weakest link and many times the little things get overlooked when putting together these systems.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-27-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
I think it is the batteries. I have them charging now. The bigger battery is 725 cranking amps and 120 reserve. The smaller battery is 675/100 reserve. They both are two years old. I am going to test them after they are charged. What types of batteries are you all running? what are their ratings?