Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Hey everyone. Im pretty new to this community but was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting a new wakeboard. I've been using my cousins but its time I get my own! Im 5'6 and 110 pounds. Im intermediate-advanced (can do 180's clearing the wake, starting to get into 360's. I just wakeboard at a lake my grandparents own a cottage on. There are no rails or jumps, so i do all my tricks over the wake. If you guys could give me some advice on a board that would fit my needs I would really appreciate it.
P.S. For pricing it doesn;t matter too much as long as it doesn't get too high. I think about 650 is the limit, but if there is a board over that suggest it anyways and i'll think about if its worth it,
Thanks in advance,
Sliceman545
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-09-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
If you have any nearby shops I'd see what they carry. For $650 you can get just about any board you want
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
I know, but should i look for a continuous or 3 stage rocker? how long should the fins i get be, and how many should i have? should i have 4 on the corners, or 2 in the middle, or something different? these are things im not sure about, and i would be much more comferterable talking to a sales agent if I knew these things. Also if it makes a difference we got a new boat. The wake is pretty huge, we have a tower, etc.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-09-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
It all varies based on personal preference. Do you want something fast or something that gives you abrupt pop off the wake? do you want something that rides real loose, or do you want something that grips and charges? Personally, I would do without center fins, if you want control get a board with long outer fins
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
Well I am not that experianced of a wakeboarder yet (cant do any inverts) but I want something that grips well, but doesn't catch an edge if a land just a little bit off. Speed isn't a huge thing, but getting good pop off the wake is important for me. It doesn't have to be huge though. I would like something that lands a bit softer too. So im thinking atm a subtle 3 stage rocker, a wider board, and a bit on the short side. For edge sharpness Im thinking the thing where the tip and tail are sharper, while the board is more rounded underfoot. I want the board to be twin tipped, so i can still do 180 grabs and stuff. Im not sure if I want the tip/tail rounded or squared off atm (an explination of the pros/cons of each would be appreciated), and i want 4 outer fins. Do you guys think that that is good reasoning? Anything you gus would reccomend changeing? And where should i start looking for boards that fit this description?
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
Been looking a bit and found some boards that might be viable. The 2010 Byerly Conspiracy, 2010 Liquid Force Soven S4, 2010 Liquid Force Witness, 2010 Ronix One
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
What board did your cousin have? what did you like about it and not like about it and other boards you might have rode?
the boards you mentioned are all good, but the Ronix One might be steering away from your subtle 3 stage rocker plan, just fyi.

personally i am biased for boards with more pronounced flex features. might be something to consider. now days flex is as influential a decission as rocker type.

*** Also you should consider what bindings you want. a good pair of boots FOR you are as important (if not more important) than the board you ride.
closed toe or open toe?
stiff and supportive for controll -or- flexible for poking and styling
laces or velco straps?
these are some considerations.

let us help you with the boots too if you have not decided yet. Demoing is always the best thing to do for any equipment, and the kool thing about boots is you can sport them in the store and get a feel for them, but boards all you can do is use your immagination in the store. so hit some stores and give them a good look and feel

P.S. and gety a mainline made of "dyneema" and or "spectra" for a NO STRETCH rope if you don't already have one. VERY IMPORTANT

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-09-2010 at 3:36 PM.
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
jeremy has very good pointers and info.. but we really need to know what u like in a board in order to help out. u said subtle 3 stage just want to make sure? u thot about looking at other boards besides 2010s? just because the board is priced so high doesnt mean its the best... all those boards u listed are good boards but you can get 2008 or 2009 boards for alot cheaper.. and so what ur riding level? first u said intermediate-advanced but yet u only do 180s and no inverts.. advanced is throwing inverts, 5s, 7s and mobes and alot more. intermediate is more consistant 3s maybe a 5 here and there and maybe a invert or 2...
im not trying to be a dick so dont take it that way just trying to see were ur at because by the tricks u said u cud do doesnt really put u in the intermediate- advanced range..

for 650 bucks u can have a pro level set up and thats bindings included in that..
check out the 2009 hyperlite marek, the 09 lyman, liquid force are more 3 stage boards than subtle boards.. check the 08 and 09 ronix one board.. u want 4 fins on the outside one in each corner no middle fins.

Last edited by bridges; 05-09-2010 at 3:47 PM.
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
kk ty. I want an open toed boot, also flexible. I would also like velcro straps. For the board flex, what exactly are you talking about? i did some looking on the web, and cant find out much about it. Also the pros/cons of a more flexible board vs a stiffer board would be nice
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
Well i can land about 50% of my 3's. Im working on tripping a tantrum but dont quite have it yet. Havent really tried many 5's tbh.
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
ok i mean the hyperlite marek is fast, has alot of pop its a abrupt continuous rocker.. not many cons to it if any... i have it and its amazing. its a 650 dollarboard but i can find you one for 300-350 probably. but the lowest size they make is 136.. that might be a little big for u but bigger boards are better.. and ur gunna grow some more also..

here is just a link to what the board looks like.. http://www.boardstop.com/product_inf...oducts_id=3249
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
and also there is 2009 marek bindings also that are top of the line bindings that i can find u for 300 bucks.. and thats right at ur 650.. the marek is rusty malinoski's pro model board that he rides.. he rides the 2010 marek tho, no difference in the boards except graphics, bindings setup on the board and price difference..

Last edited by bridges; 05-09-2010 at 4:02 PM.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-09-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
liquid force lyman! very forgiving board and can really get a good edge in! super soft landings. and with 2010 limited shanes it is crazy fun to ride
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
Looking at it im thinking about getting the Ronix District Package. The board seems versitile, which is good because since im not too advanced yet I dont want my board to limit me from a broader field of wakeboarding. Im not sure about the boots though? anone have comments?
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
What are some good packages I can get? There are packages for just about every board, but what are some ones with open toed boots on the flexible side, good binding, and a board with either an abrupt continuous rocker or a subtle 3 stage rocker and some of the specs i identified earlier in the post?
Old     (mathias)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-10-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliceman545 View Post
Well I am not that experianced of a wakeboarder yet (cant do any inverts) but I want something that grips well, but doesn't catch an edge if a land just a little bit off. Speed isn't a huge thing, but getting good pop off the wake is important for me. It doesn't have to be huge though. I would like something that lands a bit softer too. So im thinking atm a subtle 3 stage rocker, a wider board, and a bit on the short side. For edge sharpness Im thinking the thing where the tip and tail are sharper, while the board is more rounded underfoot. I want the board to be twin tipped, so i can still do 180 grabs and stuff. Im not sure if I want the tip/tail rounded or squared off atm (an explination of the pros/cons of each would be appreciated), and i want 4 outer fins. Do you guys think that that is good reasoning? Anything you gus would reccomend changeing? And where should i start looking for boards that fit this description?
Except maybe the wide part, you just described the witness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7XM-26QJoY
Old    Chaserwaser            05-10-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
Lucas I would shoot for the watson classic package, its a 3 stage and the bindings are open toed velcro it will run about 500$ I think it would be perfect for you here...

http://buywake.com/catalog/detail/3p2u1

and you can also add the rope/handle package for 60$ more
Old    star_star            05-10-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
i am 55 years old and am a mid-level rider for my age. been riding for about 8 years now. i am not very good but i can tell the differences in equipment. i own about 10 boards. all of them are pro models and therefore relatively expensive. the three best boards i have ridden are the 08 hyperlite murray, 08 byerly monarch, and 08 cwb transcend platinum. whenever i am on one of those three boards it is the "best" board i have ever ridden. it takes a set or two to settle in to the board i am riding that day but those are three great boards. i bought them all at the end of the 08 season and got them for up to half off. if i had to pick my absolute favorite board of the three i would pick the byerly monarch. my wife says i ride it the best so i guess that is an unbiased opinion. good luck and let us know what you pick.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-10-2010, 5:40 PM Reply   
Chase Hermanda mentioned the watson classic with the vantage boots which is good, but abrupt 3 stage. there are other LF packages including the same vantage boots.

Another boot to maybe consider is the New Liquid Force Ultra. Very flexy, but with a lace.
http://buywake.com/catalog/detail/MaGmN

1. witness (grind) 136 with vantage boots (though you might not intend to hit rails it is ok to use the grind version behind boat)
http://buywake.com/catalog/detail/UkxSL

2. Lyman w/ vantage boots (it says the lyman is "abrupt 3 stage" but ACTUALLY it is a progressive 3 stage and fits your desired rocker type)
http://www.the-house.com/wake-package-300.html

3. CWB Transcend w/ AA boots (AA boots are supposedly quite supportive and wont flex as much as the vantages... i think)
http://buywake.com/catalog/detail/DuGNP

4. CWB Kink with vapor boots
http://www.the-house.com/wkcw34ki24v...completes.html

5. CWB Vibe "flex board" w/ vapors
http://www.the-house.com/wkcw36vi68v...completes.html

*the websites used are of course just examples, feel free to look around for another deal and or items

Naturally, packages will be pairing the same company of boot and board. it is ok to mix match if you decide to do so, but at the expense of a "packaged deal"
#5 is the only packaged deal WITH velcro strap type boots that featured more pronounced flex features. these boards are just, well, different. they are made with foam and wood and durable sidewall amterial all sandwiched together as compared to just foam as with other boards. the flex is said to allow for softer landings and provides a more "lively feel" overall. some love em, some don't. Me personally I highly prefer "flex boards," but you might not. Other boards like these are Slingshot's entire line of boards, Company recruit and severance, humanoid flex, LF watson hybrid and FLX, and a few others.
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate all the help this community has been giving me. So far im looking at the Liquid Force Witness, the Liquid Force Watson Classic, and the Liquid Force Lyman as my boards of choice. How do these boards complare to each other? They are all around the same price (500-550) but what advantages/disadvanteges does each board have compared to the others?
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 6:49 PM Reply   
i can get u the watson classic package thats a 650-700 dollar value for 450 bucks.. my buddy has the classic package and its awesome! u cant go wrong with a package for that price.. i can get u a lyman at a discount to but its just the board no package, so u wud have to buy ur own bindings..
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
i take that back i can u get u the lyman and bindings of ur choice for a discount also.. just let me know..
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
KK im gona talk to some shops and look around to see what i can find. Ill get back to u tho!
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 8:44 PM Reply   
alright sounds good. i mean its just a internet store but i have a 10 percent off thing that anyone can use.. and just so u know if u go to local shops there gunna be super high unless they will match the price..
Old     (Sliceman545)      Join Date: May 2010       05-11-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
kk cool. Im in canada so I have to weigh the price of shipping vs the price of buying local. I might try to bring down the local shops price though by telling them the price I can get the price the Watson stuff online. Also my cousin has some wakeboarding connections in B.C. so I might try and see if he can pull some strings.

Last edited by Sliceman545; 05-11-2010 at 7:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-11-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
i think it might be free shipping also.. i think they have a thing were if u spend 75 bucks or more they ship it for free.. i know they ship for free in the states if u spend 75 or more.. il check and see..
Old     (bridges)      Join Date: May 2010       05-11-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
nevermind i lied, my bad lol its not free to canada sorry man.. but just go find the set up u want on some internet site thats actually a site, like evo gear, the-house.com, or buywake.com then print off what price they have and take it to ur local board shop and see if they will match it if they say no just say sorry ur lose and walk out of the store.. no sense in paying 600 bucks on a board when u can find it for 300 on the internet..