Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-01-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
I've got a friend that's looking to buy my 06 Pro-V but in our Oklahoma Market there's not too many. Can the Calabria owners please post any issues you've had maintenance wise, how many hours you have on your boat, and a pic. I've had zero issues with the two that I've owned so my experience has been perfect. He plans on keeping the boat for many years. I told him I was confident enough to provide a link to this forum so he could get responses throughout the nation FROM OWNERS.

BTW, I'm selling to buy a new 08. This will be my third and I'm still smiling.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
540 hrs on my 04 only issue has been interior and so far it has been resolved. The 05 and newer have different interior. This is our second Calabria and I would buy again.Upload
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-01-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
I had a severely misaligned windshield issue on my 05. I dealt with my dealer and the factory on getting it resolved. They each pointed fingers at each other, with the dealer eventually resolving the issue the best they could. I believe the problem was the result of some dealer work before I bought (the interior and stereo was stolen in the showroom and replaced before purchase). The factory was pretty good about staying in contact and explaining their position, and the dealer was in a tough position to try and work out the repair themselves. In the end, I'm 95% satisfied with the outcome of that particular squawk.

I don't know the hours on the boat because my PP replaced the hour meter, but I estimate it to be 200hrs +/-50. No general maintenance problems. Materials seem to be durable and high quality. We absolutely love the boat.

There is a fuel vent problem that I'm aware of on a handful of Pro-V's, mine included. Any time you have more than a half tank or so, and run in a bow-high attitude such as surfing (or towing uphill) the vent will spit fuel. I'm not talking about a few drips, but almost a consistent stream. One owner/salesman I spoke with had moved the vent line to a location opposite the fill neck and resolved the issue. In investigating this solution on my boat, we noticed that the anti-surge check valve was installed incorrectly and couldn't possibly work the way it was installed. We put it back together the right way and the problem is solved.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-01-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
Nate, your PP shows the hours if you hit the menu and up arrow. You may have to scroll through the options by using the up arrow.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-01-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
I am also looking at an 03 Cal-Air V 23 footer....how is the wake I am used to the rampy Nautiques and are there any issues with the 2003's or anything to look out for. I am hoping to get it on the water next week. Also what price range should I be looking at.
Old     (westsyde)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-02-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I have an 05 Pro V with about 210 hrs. It's great boat, never had any problems with it. The boat produces a nice wake for wakeboarding, but you will need to add ballast if your surfing(like most boats). We have a great time with ours.
Old     (jody7770)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-02-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
We have a 06 Pro V with 120 hrs. Great boat no problems. Just like CJ said nice wake for wakeboarding and add some weight for the kill surf wake.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-02-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Have an 05 Pro-V, and took delivery in 9/04.

330hp, about 300hrs, and no issues worth mentioning. I love my boat and the wake, especially now that I've re-propped and found a good weight setup for me. It's only been to B/V near Bakersfield, so I haven't seen the wake in deep water yet. I have no plans to sell it unless I get a great offer on mine -and- find a screamin' deal on an 05 VLX (wake preference only, nothing more).--DAMN YOU, BUZZ!! .....

No pics handy right now, but it looks like Phaeton's except mine is all yellow w/checkers....I would not hesitate to recommend a Calabria to anyone.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-02-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 Pro V-2 With 110 hours and no problems. First boat without any problems. I owned a mastercraft (mastercrap) with many problems and Malibu with many problems. I think Calabria is one of the best boats out there. The pro v-2 , you do not have to add more ballasts for wakesurfing. It is more narrow then the Pro V and it bits into the water more the the pro v.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by rbeckei on August 02, 2007)
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-02-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
Robert, that's an awesome looking boat. I'm thinking of getting the same color scheme on my 08!
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-02-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Ken, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do, Congrats
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
What's the weight of the Pro V-2? Also, has anyone heard of a plumbed ballast system on top of the Pure-Vert? It would be cool as an option.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-02-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Fatsac, 700 pounds and there is a wake plate, the wakes are very nice.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Thanks Robert. What about overall weight of the boat?
Old     (dc15boatman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
The Pro V-2 ways about 3200#
Old    kidrik            08-02-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I agree with all of the above! Plus tons of room and storage for days!

Mine is an '06 Pro V with around 165 hrs, and lovin' it!Upload
Upload
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
'06 with the teak deck and old style console/glove box?
Old     (drew72)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
my 07 has the teak and old style console/glove box also, i've yet to understand but i got a great deal on...No problems yet and I would recommend Calabria to anyone also
Old     (drew72)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (richie44rich)      Join Date: May 2006       08-02-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
2006 Pro-V w\120 hrs. This boat has been a blast!! All kinds of room too!!
Upload
Old    kidrik            08-02-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
Nate.......long story, but my boat is a late '05 model mixed with many '06 features.........

Crazy huh? It's stamped '06. I went in to demo a different '05 right before the end of the year......and ended up riding this one. Fell in love with it, because at the time, there was no "stainless steel" tower, and window trim, etc.....(where I was) and also, the model I was looking at did not include perfect pass......plus other crap. But once I tested this one, I knew I wanted it!! So even though it's a "half-breed" of sorts, I couldn't be happier!
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-02-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
I love my '05 Pro V. It is great for boarding, skating and surfing. The pure vert is the greatest thing. 700# of balllast in 45 sec and dumps in 10 sec not to mention it does not take up any storage space. People are amazed that I can fit four large coolers in the rear comparments. (We drink alot on Sundays) IMO it the the best wakeboat out there for your $$$$, it seats up to 15 and is far wider than just about every other boat in its class. It is great versatile boat that does most things very well.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-02-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Damn Mox that's alot of clam...
Old     (dc15boatman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-03-2007, 5:19 AM Reply   
Anyone out there want to get all the Calabrias together for a day on the water? Seems like more and more of us coming out of the woodwork.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-03-2007, 5:50 AM Reply   
It's about time calabria owners come out of the woodworks. It seems like everyone on this discussion board is always taking about mastercrap and malibu. Down at the lake where I go to, It's mastercrap, malibu, supra, and mobius. when I show up everyone does a double take at the calabria. I am the only one down there with a Calabria. It's a great feeling.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
Calabria Regatta is a great idea.

Rik- I hear you on the half-breed, I somewhat have one myself. I bought mine as a new 05 in March of 06. The story I was told (a year after purchase while investigating the windshield issue) was that the entire interior was stolen from the boat. It sat in the shop for a while during the investigation, then was sent to the factory for an interior replacement. I have an 05 with certain 06 elements like the stainless cup holders.

I have other questions about the history of my "new" boat before purchase, but it's inconsequential since I'm so happy with the boat.
Old    kidrik            08-03-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
Wow, that's three on this post with some sort of crossover going on.......

Whatever. I look at it as they "customized" it just the way I like!

So when's the "Cali-Bria" get together....? And if it ever does goes down, I want Mox to bring his incredible upgraded ballast system!!!!!!

Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-03-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
what happened to the windshield, let me know.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
My windshield issue is something different than that which is happing with the newer designs. I'm not familiar with that problem, as I have the old style windshield.

My windshield was mis-aligned. This resulted in the flange that supports it when closed, getting jamed under the top (starboard) windshield rail where it ends at the pass-through. In chop or a big bump, the hull would flex a little and it would get jammed. Eventually this beat up the top frame rail until it broke off with a nasty edge.

It took my almost 6 months to get it repaired. When the boat got to the factory they noticed that the stereo and speakers were not stock and started to blame my stereo guy (very well know in the area for great work) for removing the windshield to replace the speakers. The problem with that theory was that we didn't touch the head unit or speakers after delivery. We only added amps, sub, and tower speakers. The stereo and speakers were a brand the factory would never install...this brought up a few questions.

I started asking the dealer questions and that is when I found out about the stolen interior. They had the factory do the interior replacement, but farmed out the stereo/speaker install. If the misalignement was a result of the stereo install, it was before I took posession of the boat. The factory sent it back to the dealer unrepaired. New parts were not available as the windshield design had changed and Taylor Made didn't have any replacements.

The dealer did a workaround that works well enough. The repair doesn't look "good as new", but it's not bad either. Bigger than the physical windshield situation, is a little bit of mistrust I developed for the dealer. I'm not thrilled that they failed to disclose the history of the boat but they provided some free service to make up for the mess and before this they have provided top-notch service.

One thing I know is that every business grows a few warts. I consider this to be an isolated incident with an otherwise excellent operation.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
I think the Calabria Regatta is a great idea!!

I will even sponsor a keg of beer for the event! I think I might even know a DJ that might be interested in spinning the tunes for the event (Shawn if you are reading this please excuse me for throwing this out there). I might be able to raise some prize money for this: best boat, most boat bun, best stereo, etc.

Party down, with your Calabria!!

The only issue to speak about that I have is the windshield issue. The front window slides under the little metal part up front and you have to muscle the window open. I heard that they are taking the boats back one by one to fix this though.

I love my boat, so much room and all in all it has the most bang for the buck than any other boat out there. I like the wakeboard wake from my friends' x-1, vlx, x-star and even the sanger better but I suck as a rider so a better wake does not make that much of a difference to me anyhow. The surf wake however can match up to any boat that I have seen and is just as good as the Enzo that everyone talks about! None of the other boats can come close however as a party, wakeboard, wakesurf, great bang for the buck boat!

richie r (richie44rich: I still love that color combination. Makes me rethink my choice!}
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-03-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
First off....Mox......nice!!! I have an 02 Pro V with 490sum hours. Awesome boats. My only complaint is there's only 700# of ballast. Loads of room for entertaining though.

Upload
Upload
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-03-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
I had the same issue with the window on my 05 my 06 hasn't had any. For the 05 what I did was take two small set screws, drilled a starter hole in the top drivers-side where the window would get under. I put the screws in and the metal no longer had a place for my middle window to get under. Went to home depot and got a thin piece of rubber with sticky. Used about 1/2 inch by 1/2 piece to cover the screws....problem fixed!! The two support arms holding both the driver and passenger sides I replaced the small screw that was factory installed with a longer fatter bolt for re-enforcement.

Oh, BTW I pulled the trigger on my new 08 pro-v ;0). It's dark grey with black tribal light and dark grey interior. Can't wait to take delivery.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-03-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Sucks when you leave the radio on though.....BTW thanks Laci!
Old     (westsyde)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
I agree, a Calabria Regatta would be awesome. If anyone decides to organize one, hit me up. I am willing to offer my time.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-05-2007, 12:18 AM Reply   
I might try to organize the Regatta. I have to see if in the next two weeks I have time to get some sponsors together. We also have to see if Shawn will still have his Calabria to act as the party center...I heard that he is making the change to an MB
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       08-05-2007, 4:56 AM Reply   
Hey Tom- Wouldn't miss a Calabria Regatta for the world. I'm sure digger004 would be in too.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-05-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
How about everyone starts suggesting dates for the Calabria event and I will try to put something together, no promises but it will give me a starting point and a goal to work towards. Anyone else want to help out and invest some time?
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-05-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
Tom,
I think Shasta would be a great place, most central. I have been buggin' Phaeton to get this thing going for years but he is " too busy " (jk, Trav)
As far as a time, we have about a month or so.
Try area dealers and Calabria for swag.
Also all who attend could bring unused gear and what-not to give/trade with others.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-05-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
John - You are very welcome. We just finished a successful seafair and three boats in front of the house on the dock and none of them belong to me. Which with the circus this weekend I am happy about, but other days I miss my former baby (your 02 Pro-V).

My only real complaint would have beem the local dealer was a dick and wish I hadn't bought through him.