Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-03-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
I heard a lot of discussion on magic eraser. There have lots of posts about the quality of the product. I have a 2006 X-1, and I was wondering if it was safe to clean the interior with the eraser. I just don't want to spot the interior or rot any threads.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
yes, do a search, the eraser has no chemcials in it. but be ready to clena the entire interior, b/c the eraser will pull all dirt known to man out of the vinyl.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
The magic eraser uses just water and some elbow grease. It will not harm your vinyl. It works great but is time consuming.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-03-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
Matt; I just bought, and used Magic Eraser for the first time a couple days ago. It's everything everyone says. It's the Sh*t. I don't know how it works, no foaming, no smell, just seems to be a wet sponge, but does a super job. Like Adam said, be ready to clean the whole boat. You won't want to stop at just the vinyl.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-03-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
It is abrasive. I used it on the vinyl floor of my bathroom to get up some heel marks. It got the marks up great, but left a dull place where I had rubbed. It does do a great job on the boat interior though.

Jman
Old    bocephus            08-03-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
It is just high density commercial grade Melamine foam.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/261816.html

Magic Eraser is a cleaning product comprised entirely of Melamine foam, which, because of its microporous properties, actually removes otherwise "uncleanable" external markings from relatively smooth surfaces. For example, it can remove crayon, magic marker, and grease from painted walls, finished wood, and hub caps.

While this does appear miraculous, it's simply a property of the kind of foam used. The open cell foam is not only microporous, but its substance, melamine, is also extremely hard, which means that it is actually working like sandpaper, but on a very tiny scale, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the subject being cleaned. Because the bubbles interconnect, its structure ends up being more like a maze of fibreglass strands than like the array of separate bubbles in, for example, styrofoam.

The substance simply needs to be wetted to work properly, and it does break down rather rapidly, so that a given block of foam generally is seen to last only a single intensive scrubbing session, though it can be used repeatedly for much smaller marks.

While the name-brand "Magic Eraser" is made by Mr. Clean (Procter & Gamble), the foam itself was already a common product before this new use was discovered, and other companies have also began cutting it up and marketing it for its cleaning properties, either under other names, like Coralite Ultimate Sponge, or as a generic product.

It can be purchased much cheaper through a plastics, upholstry, or industrial supply store. I buy it in 4'x8' sheets for about $40 a sheet.

(Message edited by bocephus on August 03, 2006)
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-03-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Bocephus;
Thanks for the detailed explination! I just thought that it was some space age chemical that did the cleaning. Being an abrasive, I would be leary about cleaning any fiberglass, or chrome with it. What do you think ?
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-03-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. It does say on the package not to use on fiberglass or chrome.
Old     (hsmunoz)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-03-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
I found a clone on the web, "magic clean" about 1/2 the price of MR Clean and every bit as good. I hate these little erasers though, because once you scrub out a scuff mark,, you see how dirty the rest of the vinyl is and then you have to scrub for 2hrs to get the whole boat done.