Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-07-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
I have been looking on ebay for an amp to drive the Wet Sounds Double Ups. I came accross some old school Soundstream (reference) amps. I have had some experience with these when I was younger and they were awesome. They were very powerfull, drove down to 1/2 ohm loads and sounded awesome. THere are even some Class A's being listed which are not made in the industry today.

These amps are superior even by todays standards and just not made this way anymore. Some of these are being listed as new which I find hard to believe since they stopped making these in the late 90's. There is even a rare Van Gagh for sale which was probably the best soundstream built.

Has anyone had experience using these older amps today and more specifically in a boat. The only downfall I can remember about them is they got very hot when pushed.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-07-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
They get really and draw a lot of current. Especially the class A. For the most part, alot of companies moved away from class a because they suck so much power. I've had a few, they are super clean.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-07-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
I used to run all soundstream stuff in my cars when I was in high school...I thought it was awesome, but did get pretty hot when pushed.

I ran an old school Pioneer Premier amp to a secondary Polk Momo sub in my last boat. It did the job. The amp is over 8 years old and I now have it in my truck running one kicker 10 and it sounds as good as it did when new....a little temperamental at times, but sounds good.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-07-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
I think there was a reason they were nicknamed Smokestream's. A lot of them went up in smoke.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
heath,
I can not comment on the older stuff, but for what you are powering, I used the Tarantula series TRA960.4 for my 4 pro 80's. It is freaking loud and clear and it does not get hot at all even on a hot summer day. My interior speakers are being powered by a JL 6 channel amp and it gets very hot, but the soundstream is barely warm.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-07-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
I had 3 Van Gough amps in my last boat and still kick myself today for selling them with the boat. Super clean and very well built. Probably the nicest amps I've ever owned and currently I run Jl Slash in my new boat but dont think they really compare. I agree newer Soundstream amps are not the same buth the VGs are bullet proof
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
I used to sell a ton of Soundstream when it was still made in Folsom, CA and the Reference series and the Class A series literally caught fire in several customers cars. Those were the amps that put Soundstream out of business. They were then bought a short time later and all the product was tooled off shore. Stay away from the old stuff. Besides, I don't think anybody will repair it when it breaks...

Good Luck
Scott
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-07-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
Class A amps always get beat by AB amps. And the quote "These amps are superior even by todays standards and just not made this way anymore" needs some real data to back it up. What topogrophy did they use and how many output fets. If you can't answer that you probably are just talking out your a$$.

And you are talking to someone who had 3 of those amps- I love them, but the new profile stuff for less than $100 bucks would beat it any day.

And to close, I used to buy expensive amps, but then I turned 18.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-07-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
Got a reference 500 in my car. It died once but was fixed for 50 bucks by a local shop. Been working for many (8?) years since.
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-10-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
I have an old rubicon 805 and the thing pounds like no other