Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-23-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say how much class some of the pro riders have. I won a trip down to ride with Rusty Malinoski in Feb of 2008 and then i went to Iraq. I got home about 2 months ago and i was home for less then a week when i got a phone call from Rusty saying welcome home. Then it was my birthday a 2 days ago and again same thing a happy birthday from him and even his wife hit me up to wish me a happy birthday. I just find a ton of class in a person who is willing to go out of his way to do that. he could have just given me the free trip and never talked to me again but he still goes out of his way to stay in touch.

I also think this says a ton about our sport (best sport in the world) that no matter what level of rider you are you still don't forget your human.

I'm sure there are many other riders who are the same way.

So lets shout out to the pro's that still have a ton of class.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-23-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
I met Shaun Murray years ago after winning a instruction day with him at Mission Bay from one of the Wakesports Contests. I was just learning backrolls and he got me dialed in with them. 3 or 4 years later at the Nautique Games at Lake Elsinore i ran into him again and proceeded with the "you probably don't remember me" and instantly he says oh yeah i remember you how are those backrolls....Now Shaun is definitely a Pro Rider with a ton of class
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
I've met / ridden / worked / hung out with a lot of pro riders. Most of my encounters have been great. The guys that really stand out are Andrew Adkison, Ricky G, Nick Jones, Rusty, Shaun Murray, and Brian Hutton. These are the guys that go out of there way to meet the kids, be friendly, and make themselves approachable and accessible.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-23-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
I met Scott Byerly about 18 months ago at San V during his Byerly boards demo tour. With 4-5 others, we rode some sets on his custom 210 Nautique with the kids getting to try out his new skates & boards, Byerly driving. He was awesome - giving some tips to my boys, then 12 & 15, getting jacked when they tried or landed a trick. Talked about his summer on the road, what that's like, family, etc. To this day, that was a BIG DEAL for my boys. Whether he knows it or not, he made a great and big impression on them for which I'm thankful.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-23-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
Its amazing how approachable these guys are. Very down to earth, super cool and will spend all the time they have talking/taking pics or just bs'ing. Hope that never changes about this sport.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
Did a demo ride with Keith Lyman in June 2008. Super nice guy and was really enthused about giving people pointers on their riding. (Would post a pic, but it is stuck in my old computer with a crashed hard drive)
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-23-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
+1 on Lyman, and he's a funny guy to ride with too.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-29-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
OH CRAP, I left Ryan Wolfe off my list by mistake.... He's been way cool to me!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I think I've posted this story on WW before... but it fits perfectly with this topic...

About 10 or 11 years ago now, back when Boardstock was still at Shasta, I had a great experience meeting Murray.
I was on shore behind a row of houseboats and saw a friend cruising by in his MasterCraft. In order to catch his attention (and a ride), I ran onto one of the houseboats... along the outside walkway to the back deck and yelled at him. As he pulled the boat over, I apologized to the two guys sitting on that back deck, playing guitar and enjoying the morning. That's when I realized one of them was Shaun Murray himself. I expected him to be mad and really, he had every right to be, but he wasn't. He was as cool as ever... allowing me and all my friends to use his houseboat as a dock while boarding my friends MC... and then even playing a little song on his guitar while we videotaped as a birthday gift to my friend's son who wasn't there.

Murray is a real class act.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-29-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
About 8 years ago I met Shane Bonifay when I was working at the movie theater. He was just killing sometime waiting to catch a flight back to Florida. Got a picture with him and got him to sign a Wakeboarding Mag that I had in my car. Super cool and down to earth guy.

I met and rode with the Ennen's and Bret V, also chatted with Bret V a few times at the boat show before.