Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-09-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
I always carry a small assortment of tools in the boat in a thick plastic bag for that "just in case"scenario. I am trying to come up with some new ideas for holding and storing these tools.

What kinds of tools is everyone carrying, and more importantly what are you carrying/storing them in?

thanks,
KG
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-09-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
I just picked up one of those cheap universal kits from Lowes that has almost one of everything in it. it was well under $100 and has worked anytime i have ever needed it. Everything folds up into the case and it fits under the seat.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       04-09-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
I picked up some clear boxes from office depot that hold my tools. They sit in a storage locker hoping to never be used. They are made by reallyusefulproducts.com. They are overpriced but I like them. I have a full tool set in 2 boxes.

Last edited by Silverbullet555; 04-09-2011 at 6:06 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
I have a plastic tool box from Snap-On full of Snap-On Tools.I also have Snap-On jumper cables.Just in case.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I have a plastic tool box from Snap-On full of Snap-On Tools.I also have Snap-On jumper cables.Just in case.
doesnt count! your the rep hahahaha!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-09-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Not tools but I keep a spare raw water impeller, a belt and an extra quart of 15w40 (Good for my engine and V-Drive/Transmission). For the impeller I keep two paint can openers that make it easier to pull the old one out by hooking behind it.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-09-2011, 8:04 PM Reply   
Also, since it's so cheap for a Chinese, supposedly ignition protected, starter from here:
http://www.dbelectrical.com/

I've thought about buying a spare starter. My primary starter is from there (Chinese too) and it's been fine for about 25 hrs (100+ starts since I rarely let it idle) now.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2011, 12:17 AM Reply   
I have a small Craftsman tool / socket set, I added some pliers, screwdrivers, etc.
I got all Craftsman tools when possible, so that if / when they rust out, I can replace them for free!
I have a few impellers, hose clamps, tape, a cheap multimeter...spare prop & puller, and a battery jump box.
Probably forgot something...
I'm going to add a spare fuel pump to it this summer.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2011, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
doesnt count! your the rep hahahaha!
I can still use them if i need them.Also a battery jump box is a good idea if you play a stereo all day.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-10-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
I keep tools in a waterproof pelican case. I think I have pliers, a couple of allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and a spare impeller in there right now.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-10-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CCoQ8gIwAg#/
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-10-2011, 3:11 PM Reply   
screwdrivers, a few wrenches, adjustable wrench, pliers, dikes, electric tape, sand paper, vice grips, can of carb cleaner and quart of oil and trans fluid... And a couple paddles. This season I'll be keeping spare belts and impeller on the boat. I just have it in a bag in one of my storage compartments. Should cover any stupid little stuff that could come up. For more major things, that's where the paddles come in.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-10-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have a basic toolkit that I bought at Target--it has metric and English sockets, crescent, pliers, etc. The part I like that that the case is the perfect size to stand up straight and fit between the gunwhale and the side of the rear seat--totally out of the way but easily accessed if needed.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-10-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
I just keep the basics. Screwdrivers, pliers (needlenose and channel locks) sockets to fit, and some zip ties andtape. Also have allen wrenches to fit a few things on the boat. Any repair I can do on the water I can do with these things. Also keep a spare impeller, belt and oil. It all stores in a soft sides tool bag and stores under the rear seat.

Also keep a good knife and a pair of goggles on board in case I wrap a line in the prop.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2011, 8:33 PM Reply   
I had one of those universal kits on my last boat and it rusted up quick. This time I used a Pelican Case with the basics. I place the tools in waterproof bags and wrap them in Marine Tuff Cloth just to be safe. A good knife, adjustable wrench, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutter and a mask is all you really need. A prop and prop puller is also nice, but I dont think of that as part of my "tool kit".
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-11-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
I also keep it pretty basic;
  • Utility Knife
  • Screw Driver
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Wire Cutters
  • Plyers
  • Allen Wrench multi-tool (I don't know what they are actually called, just one of those folding things with 12 different sizes)

I also carry electrical tape, band aides, and that kind of stuff as well.

I used to keep a bag full of all sorts of tools, and it just became a PITA to find what I might be looking for quickly, so I pared it down. I keep my boat on an inland lake, so if there every was any sort of major repair I'd just drift to shore, walk around the lake and get a buddies boat to tow mine back in.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-11-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Goo info, thanks