Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
My 15-month old is anxiously awaiting warm water and I'm hoping to get her up on a skimmer this year. She absolutely loves the water and is learning the skateboard, so I think she'll have the balancing thing down and be ready to go. I came across this new type of skimmer, and wondered if any of you either have one and have used one. I'd love your opinions as to its functionality with 'real' kids and if, perchance, your child has outgrown it and you want to sell

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=73074
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-20-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
No experience here, but I would love to see some video of your 15 mo skateboarding!
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
We got that last year for my niece to use behind the boat. She was using it all summer, and loved it. Pretty stable. She was able to stand up fine on it. She started using in in like July and turned 3 in the end of August. My dad was satisfied with the purchase.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-20-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
I I bought this last year, it looks & I found it to be more stable for the kids than the other trainers out there. It is bulkier than I thought & somewhat tough to store on the boat but it works great IMO. My son was about 20 mos last summer and while we never used it behind the boat we did use it in the pool and around the shoreline. He loved the tubing and this year we are looking FWD to using it behind the boat this year and can't wait to see the smile on his face( as well as mine ).
Attached Images

Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-20-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
i just bought one too, should be here today! The reviews are excellent, not a single negative!
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-20-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
a 15 month old child can ride one of those while being pulled behind a boat? holy cow.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
I'm not sure she'll be able to...but I have hopes. She sits on my longboard and I pull her around on the street with a rope while she holds a wakeboard handle, and she stands balancing and holds my legs while I ride the Indo board...add that to the fact that she LOVES water and I'm hoping its a go. I mean, Parks did ski at 6 months...my girl is no Parks, but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility for her to start this summer.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate the quick feedback. I'll post pics from this summer when she (hopefully) rides.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Yeah, I have 4 kids (8,6,4,2) I have been looking at these since last year. None of my kids ski or wakeboard yet, so this may be just the thing to help build some confidence. Of those that have it, everyone likes it, it seems. $189 sucks, but for us with 4 kids I have to believe they would use it. Oldest loves tubing, but want to get her to wakeboard, any thoughts there? How to train that?
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-20-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
We went to OWC in mid March and Cobe had that one and one that fit a wakeboard. My friend's son tried the wakeboard one and it worked well. You can see both in the photo below. I don't know where either came from. Since he is a Obrien rep, it might be from them.
Attached Images

Last edited by jroyal; 04-20-2010 at 1:07 PM. Reason: edit text
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-20-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
The ski trainer is a great confidence builder. My daughter started riding hers at age 6, she loves it! This year it's time for the board!

Name:  DSC03160.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  69.4 KB
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
What are you riding in the picture Dave?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-21-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
I've been eyeing those as well and I think the one Aaron posted looks liek the most stable / easiest to learn on. I've got another year or better though, mine just turned 8 months.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
I picked one up in March. I have been pulling the kids around the yard in it , since the water is still too cold to risk putting them behind the boat. Seems pretty stable.
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-21-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
I bought mine at Overton's for $169 with free shipping. It just arrived yesterday and it seems very well-made. It has a plywood bottom for stability. Pulled the kids around the living room last night and they loved it! That green/purple one above is a great idea!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-22-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
I was messing around in the back yard today and working with my little guy on his bike. Then I remembered this thread and thought I would try out some things. First I used a skateboard and pulled the little guy around, which worked, but turning was not possible. SO then I got thinking and used an old bike pump and a radio flyer. I ran the rubber air hose through the handle of the radio flyer so that it would pick up the steering and all of the tension is on the pump handle. videos below. BTW William is 20 months.

Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-22-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
Jeremy, it's an ironing board!

(No, actually it's a wakesurfer)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyal View Post
We went to OWC in mid March and Cobe had that one and one that fit a wakeboard. My friend's son tried the wakeboard one and it worked well. You can see both in the photo below. I don't know where either came from. Since he is a Obrien rep, it might be from them.
The Ski Trainer Tubes you see with Cobe there are from Ronix/Radar.

These have been amazing for kids!!! Everybody raves about them, such a good way to learn and build confidence in those early years.