Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-03-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
try this out!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&e=9&u=/ap/key_diver
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-03-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
wow, I wonder how many beers that guy had!

ingenious but stupid idea, the part about the anchor is still making me laugh!
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-03-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
that is hilarious
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-03-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Natural Selection
Old    r_dub            06-03-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
Magnet and a rope, thats all Im gonna say! Saved my ass this past weekend.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-03-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
i remember you post about that!

IF you beleive in the theory of Natural Selection, then why is there so many dumb people still?
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-03-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
maybe not enough garden hoses available?
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-03-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
or they didnt tie the anchor well enough
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 6:24 AM Reply   
What they didn’t tell you is that guy goes around to fire house all over MO and gives training on water rescue. Read the entire story in the local paper earlier this week. Surprisingly no alcohol was involved just stupidity. The guys last quote in the write up was, “I feel like and idiot.”
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-04-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
It says that he went down, came up, and went down again. This doesn't make sense to me because I don't think you'd even be able to take a breath through a hose at 30 feet. That would be a pressure differential of around 14 psi.

So say the front of your chest has a 12"x12"=144" area. The net pressure on it at 30 feet would be around 2000 lbs. So trying to take a breath of air at normal atmospheric pressure would be like trying to take a breath with a car sitting on your chest.

Am I wrong?
Old     (newgard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-04-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
That guy was so close to getting a darwin award. All the right circumstances were there for him. Maybe next time?
Old    ag4ever            06-05-2004, 9:43 PM Reply   
Salmon, yes you are wrong. people dive at that depth all the time. The divers have tnks, but they are not forcing the air into your lungs, you are still breathing naturally. The only way you would not be able to breath is if the hose collapsed, or if you wer breathing in and out the hose. You would be taking in the CO2 that you exhailed on the last breath. You would have to only breath in through the hose, and if you took your mouth off, you would have to seal the hose or it would fill with water.

Dumb move, and with a weight tied to him. I bet the moffia even laughs at that stpry.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2004, 11:10 PM Reply   
salmon tacos is not wrong, he is very right, i tried this same thing to recover jewlery lost off my dock. with a twenty foot hose and a depth of 12 to 15 ft it was imposible to inhale. Just like salmon said. it felt like the other end of the hose was plugged but it wasn't.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-06-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
salmon and mike are correct. you couldnt even breath through a hose in the bottom of a swimming pool. If you dont believe it, ask Mr. Darwin.
Old    airpete            06-06-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
It's due to the effort it takes to suck in air from a garden hose size opening from an air source that sits 30 feet above you. Remember the days of divers with hard helments. The reason it works for them is with a pump that's pumping air and the size of the hose. And even with that they needed to be careful not to crimp the hose
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Not to mention that it's not really safe to breathe air through a garden hose anyway. It's like suppplied air for breathing in an auto paint shop...all of those use hoses manufactured specifically for air delivery.

Best recovery device I have ever used is an old speaker with a rope tied to it. Cheap and powerfull. We pulled nails from the bottom of the lake that we there 40 years ago when the dock was built. Couple of steel beer cans too! :-)
Old    devastate            06-07-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
Actualy Robert you are wrong, i am a diver. when we dive we breathe pressurised air, as the tank of air goes down with the diver it is under an equal amount of pressure as the diver, therefor making it possible to breathe. Your theory of Carbon Dioxide is also wrong as the CO2 would rise to the top of the hose far faster than anyone could take another breath. Not to mention, when you were a kid did you ever stick a plastic bottle in your mouth and breathe in? you can breathe in about 7 times before you notice any difference because when you inhale your lungs only extract about 30% of the oxygen in the air, and even when there is no more oxygen you can still take a few more breaths.
And the last reason - have you ever tried sucking air through a hose on DRY LAND? its almost impossible even when its at normal atmospheric pressure.
Salmon Tacos was comletely correct in his analysis.

oh and i dont think the "mofia" would actualy have anything at all to say about it.

John
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-07-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
to settle this arguement we need someone to test it
Old    ag4ever            06-07-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   
I might be wrong on some points, but I still think that the pressure on your chest is not what is keeping you from breathing. If that was the case your chest would collapse under the pressure, and even with pressurised air from a diver's mouthpiece, I don't see it uncollapsing your chest.

Just my opinion, so I might be wrong again.

You did prove my point in a way saying that it is hard to breath thru the hose on land meaning that water depth has little to do with ressistance in the hose.
Old    devastate            06-07-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
in that you are correct, it has nothing to do with the pressure on your body, rather the lack of pressure on the air you are trying to breathe.
Old    hockeyruss            06-08-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
What a moron, he should have used empty soda bottles or empty beer bottles to supply the air.

do I need a disclaimer on this post?
Old    devastate            06-08-2004, 8:52 AM Reply   
how would you propose to get the air out of beer bottles when underwater?
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-08-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
What an idiot he could have just used an air compressor, heck probably even one that runs off of a cigeratte lighter. If he needed more hose you can get it at Home De-pot for about 15˘ per foot.

The guy is lucky he didn't try to hold his breath until he got to the bottom then breathed in. The pressure of the water at the depth could force the air out of his lungs so fast it could cause an embolism, then instead of breath full of air he would get a breath full of blood.

skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-08-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
an air compressor?
Old    devastate            06-08-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
air compressor?

and no the air would not have been forced out of his lungs. trust me, i frequently scuba dive at over 135 feet and i breathe pretty much all the time...
Old     (tallman)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
This seems like a lot of work for nothing. If you write down the VIN # that is on the inside of the drivers door. Most dealerships can cut a key with little trouble. The best part is it cost around $12. Trust me I dropped the keys to my work van in about 50 feet of water and I didn't have a spare. It took the dealership about 15 minutes to make a new key without a copy.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-08-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
I scuba dive also, not to 135 feet though I am scared of the dark. Actually I dropped my phone in the lake last week and went down and got it. Scuba diving is different because the regulator equalizes the pressure. If you bring a hose down from above say in your mouth but you are holding your breath when you get down to 30 feet, then try to breath in it could get pretty ugly pretty fast. Lets see a cubic foot of water weighs 62 lbs. . . with 30 feet of water over your head that is 1800 lbs sq ft, or 13 psi. With that type of pressure on your body then you try to suck air in at standard atomspheric pressure. You ever see Beetle Juice where the guy gets sucked through straw? I think that was the movie.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
Regardless of the stupidity...you got to give the guy credit for trying. It at least sounds like a good idea. Anyways, if it weren't for stupid ideas like that, we wouldn't be laughing this hard.

(Message edited by balr54 on June 08, 2004)
Old    devastate            06-08-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
i'm not laughing... i just think he's dumb
Old    xrated            06-10-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
This went way beyond beer intake, I'm thinking tequila or maybe mescal.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-10-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
this post reminds me of a song by Bill Engaval and Travis Tritt.

Heres Your Sign

Stupid people should have to wear signs that just say, "I'm Stupid". That
way you wouldn't rely on them, would you? You wouldn't ask them
anything. It would be like, "Excuse me...oops, never mind. I didn't see
your sign."

It's like before my wife and I moved from Texas to California. Our house
was full of boxes and there was a U-Haul truck in our driveway. My friend
comes over and says, "Hey, you moving?" "Nope. We just pack our stuff up
once or twice a week to see how many boxes it takes. Here's your sign."

A couple of months ago I went fishing with a buddy of mine, we pulled his
boat into the dock, I lifted up this big 'ol stringer of bass and this
idiot on the dock goes, "Hey, y'all catch all them fish?" "Nope. Talked
'em into giving up. Here's your sign."

I was watching one of those animal shows on the Discovery Channel. There
was a guy inventing a shark bite suit. And there's only one way to test
it. "Alright Jimmy, you got that shark suit on, it looks good... They want
you to jump into this pool of sharks, and you tell us if it hurts when they
bite you." "Well, all right, but hold my sign. I don't wanna lose it"

Last time I had a flat tire, I pulled my truck into one of those
side-of-the-road gas stations. The attendant walks out, looks at my truck,
looks at me, and I SWEAR he said, "Tire go flat?" I couldn't resist. I
said, "Nope. I was driving around and those other three just swelled right
up on me. Here's your sign."

We were trying to sell our car about a year ago. A guy came over to the
house and drove the car around for about 45 minutes. We get back to the
house, he gets out of the car, reaches down and grabs the exhaust pipe,
then goes, "Darn that's hot!" See? If he'd been wearing his sign, I could
have stopped him.

Back Home

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
obviously none of you have ever seen or heard of divers that use a floating compressor on a tube regularly to dive on lakes and such. Dont know about the physics of it and how it compares to diving with a water hose but it wont collapse your lungs at 30' .........ha ha ha ha ha yall make me laugh at some of the stuff you come up with....internet forums are funny, thanks for the laugh
Old    ag4ever            06-11-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
Bob, in general that was my point. Your lungs won't collapse from the water perssure on your chest. No getting air out of a non pressurised hose ain't gonna happen. The floating compressors are just that, they force air down the tube, not due to water pressure, but frictional losses along the inside of the hose.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-11-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
the problem is the available air pressure in the hose without a pump. atmoshperic pressure is 14.9 psi at the surface, which your whole body is subjected to. pressure in a fluid increases according to:
(pressure) = (density x gravity x depth)
in water, this amounts to approx 1 atmosphere for every 10 meters (32.5 ft) of depth.

Salmon Tacos is correct above. i remember when i was a kid, we had this weird snorkle that was a ~3' flex hose with a mouthpiece that went up thru a little bouy. you could breathe thru it while floating, but i always wondered why it was impossible to use if you got down even just a foot or so below the surface.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-11-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
trace,
Good call. We actually simulated this last night. I have vacuum pump and we set the vacuum to 14 psi. The hose that comes out of it real small so it isn't going to hurt you. Well when you release the vacuum with the hose in your mouth. There was no stopping it. We found when using your lungs the most you could pull was about 3 psi and this was just for a second there is no way you actually could breath like this. Arguing on the internet is kind of comical. In reality two people could be aruging two different topics.
Old    phantom770            06-12-2004, 1:57 AM Reply   
Qt: "ha ha ha ha ha yall make me laugh at some of the stuff you come up with....internet forums are funny"

Bob, you are hilarious. first you say something that makes no sense, then you laugh at people on internet forums. may i remind you that YOU are on an internet forum right now while reading this, and you made yourself look very silly. You talk about divers who use a floating COMPRESSOR and then you say that their lungs wont collapse... therefore its the same as breathing through a hose? well see the thing about a compressor is it COMPRESSES the air so that the diver is breathing pressurized air equal to the amount of pressure his body is subjected to. Very simple concept.

Thanks for the laugh bob
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-12-2004, 4:51 AM Reply   
OK I'm stupid when it comes to all this pressurized water stuff and I realize that so I'm not going to touch it, but I'd like to think I know my 'stupid' jokes pretty well and I thought that the sign jokes were originally Jeff Foxworthy's? Cause I've heard him do that whole bit a couple of times.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-13-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
Well guess what JOHN WITH A TOTAL OF THREE POSTS AND NO PROFILE , a collapsed lung was mentioned above and that is what i was referring to.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
Look the bottom line, it cant be done, try to prove me wrong... anyone who argues otherwise better have tried it first.
Old    phantom770            06-13-2004, 10:38 PM Reply   
Bob you continue to ridicule yourself further and further. My old account ^ above "John O" has 125 posts and a full profile, the profile for my new account i havent gotten round to yet.
Old    phantom771            06-13-2004, 11:34 PM Reply   
as i was saying...
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-15-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Gee why do you keep changing profile names you arent pissing anyone off ARE YOU, JOHN/JOHN/BOB??
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-15-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
Ya all are a bunch of KNUCKLE HEADS... The CO2 is the real danger, even when you normally exhale, you don't remove all of the air from your lungs, as a certain portion of it remains in your throat and lungs. Breathing through a hose extends the length of your throat and thus increases the amount of CO2 you are not able to clear from your airway.

All you scuba divers really disappoint me. This is basic scuba stuff... why do you think your snorkels are so short? DUH!
Old    phantom770            06-16-2004, 4:13 AM Reply   
my god. Snorkels are short because its hard to float on THE SURFACE with a long snorkel?! CO2 clears through any pipe faster than you can take another breath. your intelligence amazes me.
Old    ag4ever            06-16-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
How does CO2 clear out of the pipe faster than air when CO2 is heavier?

http://www.airliquide.com/en/business/products/gases/gasdata/index.asp?GasID=26
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
Which is heavier, a pound of CO2 or a pound of lead??

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old    swass            06-16-2004, 8:08 AM Reply   
I was wondering how a topic like this could generate 40+ posts. I wonder no more.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-16-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
Matt,

You're right about the CO2 BUT...

Your FIRST problem is that you won't be able to take a breath.

Your SECOND problem, should you be able to overcome the first, is the CO2 issue. You'd really only encounter this if you were in the bottom of a well or something where the water pressure would not be a problem.

Since high-pressure air is used for diving, you can't force the exhaled gasses back into the fresh air, i.e. you can't blow the air back into the tank and you can't blow it back up the hose. Instead it goes out into the water as bubbles.

For anyone who is wondering how people can breathe underwater with all this pressure on them, the key to it all is the regulator. This is a brilliant little device that allows you to breath normally, without extra effort, at any depth. It allows the high-pressure air to overcome the water pressure just enough to inflate your lungs without blowing you up like a balloon.
Old    phantom770            06-16-2004, 11:36 PM Reply   
Salmon said it all.
Old    beajackass            06-17-2004, 12:48 AM Reply   
adding my 2 cents. a while ago my friends rigged a shop vac to a hose. the shop vac added enough pressure to keep the hose inflated and air to the diver but only at about 2 feet under. i dont even think this post really helps anything. but it was a fun experiment at the time