Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-06-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
Just giving everybody a little heads up to avoid Sideways Sports on e-bay. Luckily I just bought a binding screw from this tool. The listing said binding screws and he sends just one, plus he overcharges shipping and requires insurance so he can make a few extra bucks. So I send him a note then he get's all defensive and leaves me negative feedback. Don't make the same mistake I did, avoid this vendor.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
Did it say "1 ONE Hyperlite Binding Hyperlock Screws"? As in "one aka 1" printed both ways for people who have trouble with reading comprehension?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-07-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
To be perfectly honest, you contradict yourself by say 1, as in singular, and then screws, as in plural. so yes, i would be confused as well.
Old    malibu73            08-07-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
What kind of email did you send the guy? Sounds like you pissed him off
Old     (jdarnold)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-07-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
Sounds as though you got "screwed..." Sorry couldn't resist...
Old     (bdaddy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-07-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
It seem like I see that shipping scam a lot. I almost bid on a snowboard that looked like a great deal until I notice the $200 shipping charge. Guys like that always get defensive and say they aren't ripping anyone off because the post said this or that but insurance for a screw is a scam any way you look at it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
Well, I agree that the fine print requirement for insurance was a bit of a scam. I'd be inclined to back out and agree to exchange bad feedback over that. But I'd bet he'd be willing to forgo insurance if you did that.

BTW, Shaun those weren't my words. I was curious and looked it up. That was a direct quote from his eBay page. I didn't find it the least bit confusing. Given the preponderance of bad grammer on the web, I'd say it was pretty explicit about the qty. But the insurance thing wasn't so obvious. If anything Mikeski's post is a good example of misrepresenting the facts.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-07-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
I sell a lot of stuff on line. I always require insurance. I don't make a dime on it.

I also only charge actual shipping charges - not inflated - rounded up/down the the nearest $1.00. So, a $12.75 pkge is $13 unless you provide your account number.

I also don't E-Bay small stuff - less than $40 or so. No money in it at all.

I am not defending anyone. This is the way I run my business and I believe it is quite fair. You just have to deliver exactly what you say you will when you say you will deliver.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-07-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
The Ebay listing was very clear that it was for just one screw, and the shipping costs and required insurance were clearly indicated.

$2.50 + 0.95 postage + 1.30 insurance is a lot for a screw! Not everything on Ebay is a good deal, you need to really examin the postage, handling and insurance information to figure out if it makes sense or not.