Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-07-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
finally got to go out and really shred it on my new lyman. the first real set ive had. ive got the liquid force lyman 139 with the shane ct boots. best set up ever. i highly recommend it to all. my ollies are way higher. my wake jump is way higher. i land in the flats like its nothing. the board is so easy to throw around in the air. it tracks extremely well. i ride at 25 mph on a 75 foot line btw. anyways. best set up ever. im so glad i finally put the money out to buy this set up. i would defiantly ride it if you have the chance. im so stoked right now
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-07-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
amen to that bro. let's give it up for the lyman board shane ct boot combo. I totally love mine.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-08-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
David ~~ I'm in the same boat, my CWB AB 141 will be here any day and my Shanes are waiting to mount it. I have rode the Park's since 2004 and think this is a well needed change! Post up some pics...
Old    dperizzolo            10-08-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
hahaha i have that exact same set up, but last years. love the lyman and the shanes.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I have been getting my ass kicked by my Lyman. Where I could take tiny cuts on my watson and go wake to wake easily, it seems like it takes more on the lyman, which is driving me nuts. I love the speed, but I tend to wimp out and let off my edge some before I hit the wake and land in the trough a lot... It's definitely an awesome board, just not exactly one that is good to transition from a watson....
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Nick, my dad has the watson 142. kind of ironic right. but anyways. i like both boards but i like the lyman more. it might be since i love to do board slides. what i realized about the watson when i was riding it saturday is that when you start to cut it digs in and takes off. it cuts harder then any board ive ever ridden. anyways. the watson is meant to go up and is a great wake to wake board. but the lyman is a better flats board. idk why your having a difficult time. do you have any pictures right when your leaving the wake?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Yeah, the watson is slow until you edge right. I don't know what the problem is. I think it's just that i'm letting off my edge because I build so much speed. I can't seem to take the Lyman any bigger than the Watson (to the outside edge of the trough of an 05 210), I don't know. It's weird. I'm working on adjusting to it, but I'll probably ride the watson next time I go out, since I seem to be progressing better on it. I can stick all my 180s on the watson, but not the lyman, not sure why...
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
hmm idk nick. i can be around 10 feet from the wake and edge in and clear it no problem. on my old board. (2006 synergy137) i had to cut out twice as far and cut twice as fast to clear the wake. with the lyman its a piece of cake. but if the watson is working better for ya. go for it! i wish you the best of luck
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
Nick, dont let off your edge! go out and do some edgeing drills and work on your progressive edge. Its all about good form..
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
BTW, the lyman is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Upload
mines for sale if anyone is interested....
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-12-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
crazy that your lead foot is so far duck like that... you WILL have knee problems
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
his bindings are not that far out. mine are about the same. thats whats comfortable for me
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
dude thats the way I ride..... but the way i look at it is stand under a basketball hoop and see what your feet look like when you jump and then when you land and also the distance apart they are... or when your weight lifting look how your feet are when your squattin... Its just they way I roll
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-13-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Do you know anyone who 'doesn't' ride duck like that? I thought we all did?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-13-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
hey simon, i think i might be interested in buying it.
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
dude... i got it over in classifieds if your interested send pm

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/635204.html?1223910876
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-13-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Meh, my bindings are way ducked out like that... And I hurt my right knee before I ducked my back binding out to mimic the front (regular)...
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
If you ever have knee injuries and talk to a doctor or physical therapyst more like it. They will tell you that ducking out your feet is extremely hard on your knees because of the irregular compression. Hasnt stopped me tho. I ride all the way out, but then again I dont have knee problems just some of my buddies do and thats the feed back they got. I ride the Lyman 139 w/Atlas or Ones (yes i know i mixmatch becuase thats what fits comfy) and the Lyman is by far the best board Ive ever ridden. I think the new shane will be a close competitor though. NO MORE CUPPED FINS THANK GOD! Loved the pop of the shane but the cupped fins just killed me. The Lyman is way more well rounded, but felt a difference in the pop between the 2
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
hey dave, which board has more W2W pop... the shane or the lyman?
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Shane, its a 3stage. Lyman is more of a hybrid I believe if not a continuous rocker. Thats why if they mixed the rocker of the shane with the bottom shape of a lyman Id have a board Id ride for life haha. This year though I believe they are getting rid of the cupped fins on the shane so it will release a little quicker off the wake like the lyman does.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
3 stage= wake2wake abrupt pop

continous= smoother, predictable, and usually into the flats. Width of the board can determine how much into the flats your gunna go though.
Old    thebiggmann            10-13-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
Well first off, took my lyman out for the first time ever yesterday and I gotta say, its awesome. Such a step up from my 07 murray, twice the pop and way smoother landings cuz everything isn't in the flats unlessi wanna be. I usually ride about 12 degree ducked but after yesterday I'm thinking about going less. My knee is a little jackedfrom football and every landing just killed it. Tantrum=worst decision of my life. Even with a bum knee and all the wind I'm thoroughly impressed with the board and can't wait for next summer when I'm all good!
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-13-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
The Liquid force website says it's an aggressive 3 stage.

I love mine :-)
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Actually your right my bad, but I dont think its an aggressive 3 stage. If you look at all the old 08 specs and even here on wakeworld. Its a PROGRESSIVE 3 stage. Meaning the rocker is not quite abrubt. To me if you look at the board from the side you can see that its not that aggressive and it does not have the same straight up pop as the shane. I rode the shane for the last 2 years and trust me as much as I love my Lyman it doesnt pop like the shane. Even in our 2009 dealer book if you look at the actual photo of the board it say aggresive 3 stage. But if you go to the back where all the specs are it say PROGRESSIVE 3 stage.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Never been on the lyman... but those shanes are awesome
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
Hey dave how would the shane compare to the watson??
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-13-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
I ride with VERY little duck and its because at NO time while weightlifting or jumping should you be standing like that unless you naturally waddle like a duck. It puts a ton of pressure on the inside of your knees and then you add weight or compression to it and we wonder why there are so many knee injuries. It would be interesting to see a study done on this and if it coralates or not. I think it does and some people just dont know, so therefore I said something.
Please dont let this turn into a bashing on me, it was a comment, and maybe someone will learn from it like Loren or someone else. Loren, you have knee probs dont you or had probs?
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
ha... waddle like that duck that was.. good

I think that 12 degrees is where it is at for me and thats where I ride snowboards at too.. its comfortable for me! whether it is right or wrong I really dont care....

imo
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
Fairly similar bro from what ive heard, but honestly the Watson is a shape I havent had much experience on. If you were interested in picking up one of the 3. Id say the Lyman is the most well-rounded. If you want some extra kick off the wake I can say the Shane is your best bet, but Ive also heard that the Watson pops just as well. I just have any personal experience on the Watson.

Jonny- To an extent I agree with you that having your feet ducked out can and usually does lead to knee injuries. I ride all the way out. I have the claws on my Atlas' at the last notch on the plate and both boots are as far out as they can go. I do this becuase I find it easier to grab through the center of the board whether its mute, indy, or mellon. Its just easier and it gives me the ability to poke it out certain ways. I have never had one knee injury. Yes they get sore on occasion especially after riding 5 times a week in the prime season. But I love double ups and riding into the flats. So Id have to say that some people can make this work without injury. (god please dont let me jinx myself)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
about 2 years back (+-) i remember seeing an article about stance width and duck angle in WakeboardingMag

I remember it saying that on average the (lets use healthiest) "healthiest" stance was about shoulder width apart.

they pretty much said that whatever stance you land in from jumping off a table would be best and that your "knees should bend over/parallel with your toes." everyone's body is unique. everyone has a slight bow-legedness compared to another and vise versa. so these last statements are good for covering it.

However it did say that many people choose greater width and duck because it helps with rotations and stability on landings... but at a bit of a physical sacrifice
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-13-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Jeremy... well said!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
There's a point where you're actually hindering the leverage and control by ducking too far. You're going toe to heel edge on the board, and your knees are doing the same, if you're feet are angled out too much you begin to lose the toe to heel transition and your knees must work harder to make up for the lack of control and strength to turn, cut, land, etc.... The point this happens differs from person to person, and you need some duck in order to relieve your knees, but super ducked makes you vulnerable and you lose some power. People who are super ducked probably where the inside side of their boots out pretty quick because their knees are trying to straighten their feet.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
I think the angle of the pic just makes them look more angled. 12 to 15 degrees is normal
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
There are some great points here. I think it comes down to personal preference and what works best for the rider. Jeremy put it perfect IMO "However it did say that many people choose greater widths and duck because it helps with rotations and stability on landing.. BUT AT A BIT OF A PHYSICAL SACRAFICE" If your willing to deal with that then rock it.