Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
So I just got home a little bit ago and turned on the t.v. and for the first time ever caught a waterski competition, but they had something on there called "shortboarding" that looks like a wakeboard but much shorter and they're standing on it more like a skateboard. I know I can't longboard worth ****, but this looked fun. Anyone know anything about it, cuz I've never heard of/seen it before?
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-09-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
It might be a new name for trick skiing?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
maybe so! they also had some really long, fat skis for floating thru the air after hitting a ramp that was pretty cool. i dunno; it looked fun!
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       08-09-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
wakeskating?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
no, not that. they were attached to the board, but the feet (from what i could tell) appeared side by side, not in front of one another like on a ski, but the board was very short ... like sk8boarding on water!! whatever it was, i wanna try it! can i have a sponsor please??
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-09-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
Found this online - look how short the board is and at the stance - like on a sk8board. Anyone tried this?
http://www.awsasouth.com/news/2006%20Corys.htm
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-09-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
That's a trick-ski. Just stick to wakeboarding.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-09-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
I second that. Its just a trick ski. Stick to wakeboarding.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-10-2006, 4:24 AM Reply   
trick skiing is harder then wakeboarding, u slip over very easy
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-10-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
It's a really short Roam (which is of course a trick ski ).
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-10-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
Shortboarding is a vain attempt to reinvent trick skiing. If they really wanted to call it what it is, they should go with "flipping and floundering".
They'll need to do much more than simply changing the name of the equipment. To me it is blatantly trying to equate themselves with wakeboarding. If after 50 years the best they can do is come up with a name change, the end can't bee too far off.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-10-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
thers this judge who i know who judges 3 event stuff, i asked him why its not called shortboard. he said its because sometime they have wakeboard and trick ski contests together so they called it shortboard. porblery so it doesnt sound weird together
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-10-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
You can use a wakeboard without fins for a shortboarding (trick skiing) pass in competition. In trick skiing, you need to have a "toe" pass to get maximum points. This is where the rope is attached to your foot instead of holding onto the handle.

Shapiro was an outstanding trick skier (short boarder) before wakeboarding.

The main difference is in the size of the tricks. In wakeboarding, the bigger the trick the better - air, hang time, distance into the flats, grabs, etc. In trick skiing, small and quick rules the day. You have a 20 second pass to cram in as many tricks as possible. Almost all tricks are single wake and only in inverts does the ski get more than inches off the water.

Trick skiing (shortboarding) is much more like wakeskating than wakeboarding. Much more technical and harder to watch from a distance. If you think you have good balance on the water, try a trick ski for a run and be humbled. It is a lot harder and very different training to get good.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
guess i've never seen trick skiing til last night then (and i've sure never heard of shortboarding). it was still fun to watch, but ya, i'll stick to wakeboarding!! thanks!
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-10-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
There is a clip of Eric Ruck doing some trick skiing in one of the videos. From what I remember, he was pretty damn good.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-10-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
Eric Ruck can do his exact same pro tour run on a trick ski. That guy is very under rated.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-10-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Was that behind a wakeboard boat or a smaller waked ski boat?
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-10-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Trick Skiing owns.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
I didn't see/notice the boat; the wake seemed fairly large and they showed like 2 or 3 guys riding, doing inverts and stuff and it was pretty chill! But it was preceded by waterskiing a course, so it would make sense that it was trick skiing. Definitely impressive!
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-10-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
The wake is big becuase they are only doing like 15 mph. And I do agree that it looks like flipping and floundering. Now bare footing is a real sport.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
LOL - I'll skip the barefooting! Having already broken 3 toes, I'm hoping to keep the other 7 intact!
Old     (nwcoast2cascade)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-10-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Calling trickskiing "shortboarding" is probably one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. I'm sorry, I've got mad respect for trickskiers and it's way hard to do what those dudes do but they are definately NOT boarding, they're SKIING. Boarders stand sideways on whatever it is they ride, skiers' feet face straight forward. Calling trickskiers boarders just makes OUR sport seem less legitimate. I think "Short-skiing" sounds cooler than trickskiing, call yourselves that but don't kid yourself and act like you're a boarder when you're not. I'm not saying this to anyone in peticular but the trickskiing community as a whole and to educate those who don't know the difference between boarding and skiing.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-10-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
Is there a trick skiing community? I can only think of two people who trick ski and only one still does it.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
Lame!!
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-10-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
i dont get it
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-10-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
That makes me want to put on my hot pink wetsuit from 1985 and and grab my special toe hold handle so I can get funky. I thought that died with kneeboarding and skurfing. It should have.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2006, 4:56 AM Reply   
It's really kind of funny the animosity some of you have toward trick skiing and kneeboarding. Wakeboarding has some of its roots in trick skiing and a large group of your wake hero’s started out on these dastardly skis and could really throw down. It is surprising that with the beatings you’ve probably taken learning that next big trick that you can’t at least even appreciate the skill these riders have. I’ve seen trick skiers throwing mobe 5’s and 900’s and kneeboarders throwing double back rolls into a front roll off the bounce. The 1080? Went down years ago on a kneeboard. Just wish this community that swears they are all about “sharing the stoke” could actually share the stoke. But I guess you are just to core for that.

/end rant
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
Actually, Eric, we now go about 18-20 mph, and to all you haters, you're not as punk as you think you are. Being pretty darn good at both, but I enjoy riding more, (yes I still call it tricking), trick skiing is just another genre of the watersports world. the fact you don't enjoy someone spinning or flipping fast doesn't make it lame, it just makes you ignorant. Funny how wakeboards went to less and less fins, while a trick ski doesn't have fins. Oh but wait, thats right, it makes you feel cooler to say wakeboards are more like snowboards now. Hahaha always TRYING to be cool. Just let people do what they do. it is much harder to ride away on a tricker, and just like wakeboarding, there's different styles. I go pretty f-ing huge on trick flips, and have been known to wake to wake off-axis 7's off the double up. Does that make me lame? Just got on the water and have fun, and let others do the same.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-11-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Blain, best quote yet about "sharing the stoke". I know this is wakeworld however i am not under the mentality that this is the only water sport out there, i am simply not "one-dimensional". Trick Skiing was around way before wakeboarding and yes a lot of the "older" wakeboarders got their start on a trick ski. Have you guys that think its "lame" or just "don't get it" ever seen it in person? Have you ever seen someone pull a roll Or a layout (a Raley) on a kneeboard? Have you seen someone Barefoot longline and tumbleturn? Skurfing is still alive, its called wakeboarding. Its all impressive and fun...

Just you wait that neon Pink and dayglo green will be coming back. A Proven fact is History will repeat itself.

(Message edited by BIZ on August 11, 2006)
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
For those who think Trick Skiing isn't hard you need to watch this! SICK!

http://www.nicolasleforestier.com/2005/html/modules.php?set_albumName=recordvid&id=pending_124 00&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view _photo.php
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
hang on this doesn't appear to be working...
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
How about this link...

http://www.nicolasleforestier.com/albums/w2001/W2001_NLF_Cp.avi
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
Why would you put a toe pass vid up man? I'll try and upload my personal footage of Jimmy Seimers freeriding. Sickest stuff ever.

Side note: Did you ski with Corey Huey? Top City native here baby!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-11-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
amazing video k-state! i did see a couple guys on the program using the "foot handle" (my term, don't know what it's really called), and i knew that was trick skiing. what threw me off were the guys who had both feet locked in and were doing tricks and inverts because the style was more similar to wakeboarding, that is why i thought it was a really short wakeboard. also, the board i saw looked fairly wide ... are all trick skis wide like that, or are different skis used for those landing tricks vs. those using the "foot handle?" those guys have skillz, but i can barely get up on two skis which i think pretty much puts it out of my reach. BUT ... if someone out there wants to build me a shorty wakeboard out of, say a skateboard, and attach some bindings to it, i'd totally try riding it! i think that would be a blast! another question: i thought skurfing (at least the kind i'm familiar with here in colorado) was basically being on a little sk8board type thing in the river with a rope tied to a bridge a few feet above you and basically trying to ride up river (facing uphill as the river water travels downhill). i know people do that here - i've never tried it cuz i'd fall and crack my head on a rock. but if that's not skurfing, does anyone know what that is? (other than maybe really stupid!)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
I wasent saying that trick skiing is lame or anyone that trick skis is lame, I was saying that changing the name to short boarding is lame. Keep it what it has always been trick skiing. I think its lame to try to change the name to make it sound more like a new board sport.
Sorry dident mean to offend anyone, that wasent my intention.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
I agree they should continue to call it trick skiing...

Yeah a-dub I ski'd with Corey...
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
BTW toes passes are some of the hardest tricks to pull... AND I couldn't find any vids of Jimmy... ALthough that dude is sick! I love watching him throw a raley on his trick ski!

Kyle Nightingale is one bad mutha too!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Oh for sure toes are the hardest thing ever! I just personally don't like them, mainly cause I hate doing them. yeah the footage i've got jimmy does a nose grab frontflip, a switch krypt, and a look back type raley, along with all sorts of other stizzuff. Shortboarding is not a cool term, but does make sense when the state of waterskiing and college skiing including wakeboarding are taken into consideration.

Kstate....For some reason, I feel we have skied together.. Super Lake? Shawnee?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
WHAT?!? Kylie, remember that red and white Mastercraft that is always at the dock at Sloans at 9 am? They all trick ski. You've seen it! You've watched them do dock starts in front of us all last year and some of this year. Hmmmm......did that face plant to the concrete do something to you? LOL!!!! Maybe you were just watching boys when they dock started.... ;)
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-11-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Kraig - if that's trick skiing they'd better knock it up A LOT cuz they're lame compared to what I saw. It seriously looked like the size of my skateboard but with bindings attached. I don't know what the guys in the MC are doing, but it sure wasn't this! And ya, the concrete did a number on me and I STILL cannot bite into anything, and I'm dying for a hamburger!! p.s. Me? Watch boys? Huh?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
ADub -
I've ski'd both lakes... Depends on who you are!