Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       02-23-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
I opened Windows Media Player today and found under the media guide, one of their scrolling pages was about extreme sports. Of course following the links to the movie page, I was pretty sure that there would be nothing about wakeboarding on there (in fact I even made a comment to a co-worker about how scuba diving was on there, but wakeboarding wasn't). However, on the list on the left, there is wakeboarding!!
There are the trailers for All or Nothing, Invisible Cinema, Sfumato, and Captured. I may be way behind on knowing this, but it's the first I've seen it. Hopefully, this means that soon I won't have to describe wakeboarding to people as snowboarding behind a boat because they'll know what it is.}}
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
Yeah I'm actually coming a across a lot fewer people that don't know what wakeboarding is.

Now if only I could get the people to ask "So can you do all those cool looking spins"? instead of "Hey can you do any of those flips"????
Old    jetgofish            02-23-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Um, I have a ruptered ACL and torn miniscus and my first (I've since changed) doctor didn't know what wakeboarding or snowboarding is! Tell me how to explain that?!!!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
He didn't know what snowboarding was!!! Good thing you changed.
Old    klk            02-23-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
nothing personal but i prefer inverts to spins, don't really injoy spins unless it includes the invert.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Blabel, Inverts will allways be a crowd fav, especially the "superman". How many times I heard, do and invert blah blah when I was in Mexico, it wasn't even funny.(but the chicks liked it)the cool thing about spins is, its something other boarders can appreciate for how truly difficult they are. To me it helps divide the posers from the real boarders. (klk I'm not calling you a poser or saying that inverts arn't difficult, just often a little over-rated) but when you do a switch backside 180 very few guys will, that was cool, do a Backroll and everyone cheers. Not that it really matters, ride for yourself.
But it is cool that you won't have to describe wakeboarding so much these days, there was one point where I was carrying around WBM just to show people when they asked.
And my god, when will they stop using "Extreme"

(Message edited by kristian on February 23, 2004)
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
What are most boarders more proud of??? First invert or first 360. For me it took a lot more balls to throw that first tantrum compared to a 360.
Old    jetgofish            02-23-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
I have to agree with both Kristian and KLK, inverts are cool, however the difficulty and style of a spin is much more apperciated. As a female rider I chose first to attempt inverts (backrolls) Once upon a time I was also bashed for this by a certain person on WW. Any how they told me that I had no business doing inverts specially as a female rider. I now (well as soon as the knee is better) will attempt my first 3. 180's are fluid, however I would like to reach higher and go for the 3.. I'll be doing the handle passing in the yard and working on rotations. I know this isn't the same as the water, but with a torn miniscus and ruptures ACL I have no choice. It's not like I can work on the backrolls though either.

Kristian, I think "Extreme" will always be dubbed with wakeboarding. After all what other sport are you towed at 20+ mph hurling your body that is attached to a board in the air doing crazy (but cool) stunts? I'd rather be mocked as "Extreme" sport that takes skill and talent over Bowling! (No pun to any bowlers out ther!)
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-23-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
Every time someone finds out that I wakeboard, they always ask the same question: Can you do flips and stuff? The question is always followed by the words and stuff. I find that amusing.

(Message edited by ty540 on February 23, 2004)
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-23-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
But I can only do and stuff. But in regards to flips or spins, I've gotten worked much harder trying a 360 than I have trying a backroll. I have to give much more credit to those who can throw big spins.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-23-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
We're totally off subject, but 2 years for the first spin and 7 tries for the first tantrum. For me learning spins was harder, however I did learn spins first...and I still do love the "can you do flips and stuff" questions. He, he
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
Sorry Sean I kind of highjacked the thread!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-23-2004, 5:05 PM Reply   
...damn spinjackers

but seriously i really hate it when they refer to it as flips and stuff and Sean i noticed that also the other day pretty cool we are getting mainstream press!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-24-2004, 10:37 PM Reply   
spins, flips... personally, I'd be happy just to get up on a wakeboard again at this point... You guys are soooo lucky you're getting to ride right now.. I wonder if I'll remember anything at all. I haven't ridden in months, and my boat's probably full of rainwater and spider webs by now. How nice it'd be just to be on the water again... a week or 2 more and this game should be in manufacturing, and I'll be back in the water!
Old    happyrumdrinks            02-25-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
Anybody see the pic of Cameron Diaz riding?
Old    norcal_99            02-25-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
Kristian, What's a poser?
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-25-2004, 3:51 PM Reply   
BS, post the pic