Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
Hey folks. I was just sitting here thinking about pumpkins & a coherent thought entered my brain. Since that doesn't happen too often I figured I'd extend the question to you guys!! Hooray!!

Question: When attending local tournaments how much influence does the type of tow boat affect your decision to participate?

Now I don't want to hear everyone's personal opinion on which boat they feel is better and the subsequent flame fest that will be generated by those responses. So instead of your personal opinion I want to hear what boat type you think would draw the largest # of participants. Nautique, Mastercraft, Malibu, Supra, __________.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-01-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
It doesn't affect my decision one bit. With that being said, if the boat wasn't weighted or not properly weighted I would consider declining my ride. For example if the boat was not weighted, I don't want to go out there and have to over-exert myself to throw down my hardest run, and take the chance of hurting myself.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2005, 5:18 AM Reply   
Its not the brand more then the Model and how its weighted...I am very partial to the small boat being used to pull the events since they will turn the easiest ,sink easier with little weight in shallow water ,get back up to speed quicker,and are usually the boat you ride behind the most..i usually wont enter if they pull out the 23/24ft models boats like the LSV,Xstar etc etc...

i like the 21ft SSV,X2,SAN and VLX since they have the peakiest more solid wakes then the bigger versions,..It makes it easier to take shorter cuts and get more pop with less work which helps when your being timesd and have to work fast..

Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-02-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
It's actually an interesting question. I don't think it is the brand either. The thing that gets me though is when they weight the boat down with 2500+ lbs of weight for the beginner/intermediate divisions. Up here, I'd say 80% of the riders arn't regularly riding behind wake boats, and the guys in those divisions are still working on going wake to wake, and the odd grab... The huge wake is just throwing them off axis and taking the boat half the course to get on plane. I think it discourages people a bit.
Just an observation.
B
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-02-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
I'd have to agree with Brad, I've only ridden behind a wake boat 2 times, once thanks to the help of jeff frew and the canyon lake wakeboard club, and the other was at a wakeboardnebraska tournament. The first time I hit the wake in the tourney, I nearly did a raley, but on accident, as I'm used to an I/O wake w/no balast. For the rest of my run I was afraid to edge even remotely hard as I was done as soon as I crashed again. It's just really hard for beginners to be used to railing into the wake every time to go wake to wake, then get to the tourney and the first thing they have to do is relearn how to cut just to get off the water.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-02-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
For me it would be more about what boat not what manufacturer. X2, 210, and VLX. These would attract me the most.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
Isnt part of the fun of doing a tournament getting behind a wakeboard boat for a lot of people? For those 80% of people that dont ride behind a boat, its a chance they won't have many other ways, especially not for $35 or whatever the entry fee is.

And for those other 20%, perhaps having a different boat to ride behind is nice in that its like demoing another boat.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-02-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
OK. my $.02. For me it is less about the boat than it is about the water and tournament conditions. I enter any local contest, clinic, demo that comes along (hey, that's one of the perks of being a teacher and having summers off!). I love getting behind different boats and I certainly have learned to love a few more than others. Riding behind a range of boats has also helped educate me for when I go shopping for a new ride. I have also gotten to know most of the water areas around here and some simply make for a lousy contest - either they are windy, too shallow, too trafficked, etc. Plus, I have learned who puts on an efficient day and who wastes my good riding time. The events I am most likely to enter have quality boats of any make (that's a given), good water and do not make me sit around 12 hours for one pull.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-02-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
i like the ones only with X-Stars!!!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-02-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
I agree with Brad 100%. The size of the wake doesn't bother me as much, but the time it takes for the boat to get on plane is sometimes ridiculous. I don't think the boat should be weighted so much that it's right on the brink of being able to plane out.

To answer Stephan's question:

I like VLX's and SAN 210's the best.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Cool guys(& gal). I'm actually using your responses for a little somethin I got in the works. Please keep the thoughts coming.

Also what boat throws the best wake in a private(shallow) lake? I figure it's the smaller, easier sunk ones. I also figure that since a SAN has such a steep wake it would hold up better in that situation. Thoughts? Anecdotes? General epiphanies?
Old    twisted            03-02-2005, 3:25 PM Reply   
Stephan~
to answer your question directly...

Zero. One can lose many times, But your not a loser until you place the blame elsewhere.
(sorry don't normally strive for profound).

Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
I'll ride in any tournament behind any boat as long as they don't sack the heck out of it. Stock ballast true wakeboard boats should be plenty for any rider.

As far as companies, I like seeing MC, Skiers Choice, and Malibu (no wedge).

(Message edited by Jon A on March 02, 2005)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-02-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
The make/model pull boat has NEVER influenced my decision to ride.

The rides that I have had by these pull boats at competitions HAVE influenced my decision on purchasing a pull boat.

I likes big wakes...

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on March 02, 2005)
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-03-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
and I cannot lie...

Same thing the Captain said.