Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    kristal8            06-20-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I'm about to buy my 1st boat. I've been looking at buying either a Malibu VLX or Mastercraft X-30. Any opinions or advice you have about each boat would be greatly appreciated!! I've heard something about the Mastercraft's ride porpoising really bad??? I really like the Malibu but I can get alot more accessories on the Mastercraft for the same price as a stripped Malibu. I know both are great boats but any opinions on either boat? Thanks!! Kristal
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-21-2005, 12:10 AM Reply   
My dad went through this in 04 with a lsv and a x30, but now the vlx is bigger, so it is a better compairison. Both great boats, lots of storage, lots of room, pro caliber wake. It all comes down to dealer service, which boat you out right like more. Go test drive them thats the best way to make up your mind.

what made my dad choose malibu over master craft. Extras, like bow ballast, wedge, turn down exaust, choice of towers, how the storage areas were accesessed.

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-21-2005, 12:35 AM Reply   
well first of all, the VLX is 21.5ft and the X-30 is around 23 feet long. next the VLX is built from the ground up to be a wake specific boat. the X-30 is a Maristar 230 with ballast and tower. a better comparison to the VLX would be the X-Star. about the porpoising- demo the X-30 and drive it at high speeds and see if it is a problem. mastercrafts seem to porpoise, but its not necessarily a problem all the time. just throw some extra weight up there and you might be alright. also take note of the bow rise when you start from a stand still. those are two of the kinds of things that you would want to keep in mind when you demo the VLX so you can compare the two boats.

but yeah, figure out which dealer you think will provide better service because that is also important as hyperlitenerd said.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
I have to agree with the demo suggestion.
I had a pretty clear vision in my mind of the boat I wanted (because of looks, features, storage, etc.) but after I drove several boats, I changed my mind completely. Some boats do not drive well at all.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-21-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
The VLX is Malibu's premiere wakeboard boat. I'd pick the VLX over and X-30--all things being equal. Toss an X-Star or an X-2 into the mix though and the decision is harder to make.
Old    mendo247            06-21-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
Personally id go with the vlx.. both are awesome boats loaded with features..for me the x-30 has a good wake but seems to be a little clumsy at slow speeds espically when manuvering around riders and the docks..but your not gonna go wrong either way!
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-22-2005, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have an X30, looked at the VLX too. Came down to dealer and that I like the way MCs are built. If you are looking at the 06 X30, they are not even in the same league.

And the fact that you can get the MC cheaper than the BU surprises me.... usually it is the other way around.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-22-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
yeah I agree with Matt... if you are able to get the x30 for less than the Malibu you need to be negotiating a lot more on that Malibu. I personally like the VLX better with all options, but that is strictly opinion. They are two different boats. I agree with the others and if you are comparing the X30 you should be comparing to the LSV or if you are looking at the VLX you should be comparing with MC x2, xstar and even tons of other boats out there in that range. All are beutiful boats though... I am sure you can't go wrong.... Pick a good dealer take a test drive!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       07-23-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
Visit the factories and get a real good look at construction and who is constructing your boat and you'll probably go with the VLX. If you demo the boats most likely you'll find the VLX to have better handling. I had a similar dilemma and chose the VLX based on those differences.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-23-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
Kristal,

No advice other than test them out.

Regarding dealers though (as was previously mentioned), if you can get a "loaded" x-30 for the same price as a "stripped" VLX, that tells me right away that the Malibu dealer is ripping you off from the get go. Since you're in CA, I'd find the next closest Malibu dealer and work with those people instead.

David}}