Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
I have a sharp minidv video camera that was given to me and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I cant find a way to transfer the video to my computer. I just was under the assumption that all minidv's work transfer video to computer for editing but i guess im wrong. I new to this whole thing but i would really like to start filming and editing. SO any help would be great. thanks
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-18-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
Most miniDV cameras connect to computer with a firewire connection (IEEE 1394 connection).

If you don't have one, you can find cheap card/cable/software deals if you look. Search this disc. board for specifics.
Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
Ya thats what ive seen on this board but i dont think that my camera has the connection. I dont remember seeing that in the booklet either. ANy ideas??? thanks alot
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-18-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
What's the model number of the camera? Firewire is also referred to as IEEE 1394. What does the booklet say about connecting to a computer?
Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
Well the model number is 12pissenmeoff hehe, actually im at work right now and i dont remember off hand. I have connected it to a laptop and downloaded still pics and the book tells me about that but nothing else. DO some cameras just not hook up?? What would the port on the camera say, i know theres a usb. thanks alot guys
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-18-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
I'm sure that all miniDV cams hook up to a computer. Sharp calls it i.Link Digital Video Interface (DVI), which is what Sony calls it also.

You'll need the correct cable and a Firewire (IEEE 1394) port on your computer. If your computer doesn't have Firewire ports you can easily add them by installing a card - which you can buy off eBay for $15 or less. Of course you can also buy them at your local computer store.
Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
Awesome, i will check on any dvi ports or refrences in my book. Thanks for all the help guys. And no i dont have a Firewire port but ill check ebay or go to a computer shop.
Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
Actually i was just went to there website and tried finding my model # i think its the 100 becuase it will take digital pics as well. DOes anyone know if the ILINK is new or older?? my is like last years model, had it for like a year now. thanks
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-19-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
can you post a link of where you're looking? Or did you get the model number from home?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-20-2004, 6:32 AM Reply   
Firewire 800 has not shown up on any cams at this point to my knowledge. The high end Panasonics using the DVC50 format are supposedly going to get it soon so if you have ilink, 1394 or firewire it's all the same - 1394a 400. There's 2 plug configurations a mini 4 pin which most of the camcorders have and a larger plug which most of the computers have. Anything DV less than 3 years old should have the port somewhere.
Old                02-20-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
I have a Cannon DV video camera. Yes you can connect it to a computer by way of Hard Wire. If you are looking where on the camera is the terminal for it it is on the front of the camera. Look at the front of the camera where the microphone is there is a dark grey covering. That comes off and the terminal is there. Hope this helps out. I have not personally used mine to a PC but a friend of mine did and it worked great. good luck.