Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-03-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
Hit a log today in my 05 vlx BU it bent the prop which i will get fixed but it also bent the support arm that the shaft goes through. The shaft seems to be fine but the arm is bent about 3/4 inch to the left my question will this affect the shaft or tranny or should I replace it and can i replace it own my own.
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-04-2006, 5:54 AM Reply   
I would also check for spider cracks around the strut(support arm) were it connects to the boat. They could be tiny and not noticeable right away, but can spread and get pretty nasty due to the stresses in those locations. We did the same thing and the cracks werent noticable until the dealer took a wax pencil(?) and colored around the areas. After he wiped the excess off, the cracks became visible. We bent the prop, rudder, strut and had spider cracks. Close to $4000 in repairs, but thats what insurance is for.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-04-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
That sux bro. Been there, done that.

See this post from the Supra board: http://supraboats.com/msgboard/read.php?TID=1004

Unfortunately, you'll need to pull your underwater gear. Pull the shaft and take it to a machine shop and have them put it on a lathe with a dial indicator (the shop will know what you're talking about) to see how bad its bent, and yes, it WILL be bent. SC told me to replace it if its over .003" off. Some shop's might offer to straighten it for you, thats up to you. The strut will have to come off too. Some people claim that the strut can be repaired, but i wouldnt risk it after that kind of stress. Cant elaborate any more right now, got a final in an hour. Post back if you need more info.

DKJ
Old     (iroc)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2006, 6:03 AM Reply   
Alex, I just had the same problem last weekend. The wind pushed my boat back into the ramp and the prop hit the ground. I bent my Strut and the boat started to vibrate. 9 times out of 10 you bent the strut, which is the support bracket that your shaft goes through, under the boat. The cost for mine was $180 for the strut. Now they are going to have to see if you bent your shaft also. When they pull your shaft from the boat, they are going to have to align your engine again. The parts are cheap but the labor depending on where you go can be pricey. I ended up upgrading mine to the new spline shaft with a 14.25 by 14 prop and a newer style strut. The cost should run me about $1000 in parts and about 3-400 in labor. Peace... Joe
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-04-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
thanks guys