Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (npcain1)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-17-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
Buying my first boat lift and I know relatively little about them. I have found a few used Shorestations; one is an older model (3600lb) that recently had the cables replaced for $1500, i also need extension legs due to mud issue $250, the other is a newer style Shorestation lift (4000lb)for $2000 (again need extensions $250). My other option is a new Metal Craft lift for ~$3000 (no extensions needed) installed and full warranty.

Is it worth purchasing new to save headaches down the line?
Anyone have experiences with the different brands?

Also almost any repair work needs to be done by someone with a crane due to the mud and muck that the channel I am on is.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-17-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about Metal Craft's but I have a 4000lb shorestation that I bought used 4 seasons ago and am happy with it. I use it alot, 200+ hours on the boat per season. I haven't had any problems yet. This year I got a 97 super sport and am glad I have the 4000lb lift, I can tell this boat is alot heavier than my old 88 mastercraft.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-18-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
I've had my 3600 lbs. shorestation for 15 years and only had to change one of my cables once. I wouldn't worry too much about maintance headaches. There really not that much to do, maybe grease them once a year.
Are you going to leave it in all year? How long of extensions do you need? My beach is really sandy and I don't use mine, I think that they are about 3' long and I am in your area.

I will say that it gets to be a hassel to crank them up all the time. If I was going to get a new one I would probably get a hydrolic.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-18-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
I agree with all of the above. The cables are the weak link in my opinion - not all that much of a problem regardless. I have two lifts - a shore station and a harbor master. No question the harbor master is a better lift if you can find one. Otherwise, go used - you will save a ton of money.
Old     (npcain1)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-18-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
Thanks guys think I am going to go with the cheaper 3600lb, baring I take a look at it this weekend and it looks like hell. The main reason I need the extensions is the mud at the bottom of the channel, the water depth is not more than 4ft, but you could potentially have another 2-3ft of settling.

Karl the 3' long ones would be fine, how much do you want for them?

BTW-the guy has a 12V motor I will probably get for another $400.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-19-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Noel:

I sent you an e mail. You may be better off putting larger feet on your lift.

K

Old     (npcain1)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-19-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
Karl thanks I just got your message...in addition just talked with a guy who installs/service and suggested adding 2 by 12 that run the length of the station. I think that is going to be my best bet. Thanks for everyone's help!