Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2008, 3:05 AM Reply   
Anybody else think Philip should have won wakeboarder of the year? If not this year then when? There's not really much more he can do in terms of achievements is there?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-15-2008, 4:37 AM Reply   
Depends. Who won?
Old     (the_love_muscle)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2008, 5:02 AM Reply   
He was the best contest rider, but not the best rider. There is a lot more to being the best rider than just contest riding. Plus, it is a popularity contest also, and he is not the most popular. I'm guessing because of his attitude in the past, but from what I hear, he is getting much better. If he continues riding like he has lately, he will likely get it some day.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Rusty won.I don't know about it being a popularity contest. It shouldn't be.Nicola won because of her achievements this year. If it was popularity Dallas would probably have won.
If they do not judge it on achievements ie. contests, then how??
How would they define Rusty as being a better wakeboarder than Phillip this year? Just curious.
I would have thought that if Phillip didn't win then the hard chargers,like JD or Rathy.
I don't want to take anything away from Rusty.Just seems odd.
I think Phillip was 4th. Or even 5th???
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
Rusty did get a lot of good press on the multiple 1080s he landed and a back 9.

Phillip obviously ruled the contest scene.

I don't think that Rusty getting this award is that surprising, but I can understand the arguement.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-15-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
What were the rest of the awards, are they posted anywhere
Old     (the_love_muscle)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
I should explain what I meant by "popularity contest." If you are not well liked by some, it will come through in how you are judged. Someone can be disliked yet still get the top spot by dominating both contests and freeride progression. Nicola totally deserved her spot because she is pushing women's wakeboarding further than it had been in a long time. I believe she would have won whether she were well liked or not. And not to take anything away from Dallas. She will always be one of the best riders ever. There will always be other options... I know mine normally differ from most, but I think Rusty deserved it.
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-15-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
the wake awards are all voted on by a panel of industry people... magazine editors, videographers, photographers, tour judges, other pro riders, etc... people who are really in the know about who deserves to to be called rider of the year and who doesn't. in my opinion, Rusty not only won several contest, edging out the one man everyone thought would be impossible to beat (phillip), but hes progressed his riding ALOT and works hard doing trips and photos shoots all the time. I couldn't be happier for Rusty, and I think it's very well deserved.

I also think Nicola's award was super well deserved. And I bet that if it WAS a popularity contest, Amber would have won, and not dallas. So that's my industry opinion.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
jb. I think Wakeboarding mag is publishing them today?? I got this info from Nicola obviously. I wasn't even in the country and couldn't find anything on the net
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Results and a few photos:

http://www.sbcwakeboard.com/hotbox?news_id=205
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-15-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
Rusty winning should come as no surprise.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-15-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
I'm curious as to why they spent about 20 seconds announcing and awarding the Best Women's Wakeboarder award when they spent tons of time on all the other awards. It was also the only award that was handed to the recipient at her table rather than having her come up on stage. Am I missing something? They did bring her up on stage for the Queen of Wake award later in the program.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-15-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
I would equate Rusty winning wakeboarder of the year to baseball when a player wins MVP and yet their team wasn't one of the best. You can be the 'best' for the sport without being the 'best' in contests or standings. If it was called 'Best Contest rider'...okay, hands down I think Phil wins. I would have voted for Phil because I equate best with winning contests...but it encompasses so much more than that and I'm not enough on the inside to see those other components.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
David, I was in the UK and Nicola told me about that on the phone?? She seemed baffled. Priscilla gave her the award and said something about Nicola would be going up on the stage later for the Q of W so they would just give her this here (the award at the table) Nicola wasn't even entirely sure of what it was at first.Lol
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-15-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Yeah, that was really weird. Plenty of riders were up on stage receiving awards more than once, so that explanation doesn't really make sense to me. I think Harf was up there three times. It just seemed kind of disrespectful to the accomplishments of the women and Nicola in particular.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
Yeah. I don't know? At least you brought it up and not me
Hopefully Dallas, Nicola and all the other ladies will come out charging next year and earn some real respect.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
thanks for the sbc link adam. whats the deal with all the guys wearing rockstar, redbull and monster hats....... well i know the deal but man that goofy. give it a rest for one night. hahaha.

its crazy what a stronghold coke and pepsi along with redbull have on the wake industry.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-15-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
I could be wrong but I believe only 48 ballots went out for all of the wake categories. Like Barrett said only industry people got to vote.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-15-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Yeah, I think they do that to avoid having it turn into a popularity contest, which is what you end up with when "fans" vote. I'm stoked that they let me vote!!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-16-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
I made the ballot this year! Stoked! But how can you argue with the greatness of Josh Letchworth. Congrats Josh!