Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
I'm just curious what the main difference is between power wire from a place like Stinger, as opposed to the power wire you can buy from Home Depot or the like?

Other than the look of the wire (stinger has clear casing's in various colors and whatnot), what is the real difference in the two besides the price?

I have three amps, six tower lights, heater, etc - the amps already have 0 and 4 gauge stinger power wire running to them; so I just wanted to know if I really need to spend the extra to get the Stinger wire over the HD wire to wire my other components.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks much.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Most of the time the wire made by audio specific manufactures is a higher quality copper. It will be more oxygen free. Also it will be higher strand count wich will make it more flexible.thus easier to make corners and work with.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-19-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
This is one area where I am different than almost everybody else. The semi-clear jacketed stuff that the car stereo shops use in boats oxidizes in boats. Marine wiring is simple but different, my first choice in wire is pre-tinned finely stranded marine grade, my second choice is THHN or THWN commercial power wire that is gas and water resistant, my third choice is the stuff the car stereo guys use. More importantly than the type is the size. It's a mistake to size wire based on ampacity alone, you also need to look at voltage drop. When you are only starting with 12 volts a 1 volt drop is very significant for your electronic devices. My audio power distribution block operates at 1-2 volts higher than the stock instrument harness, my amps thank me for using big wire by delivering more power to my speakers.

Here is the stuff I use: http://www.pacermarine.com/wirecable.html

The wire is also approved by NMMA, USCG, and UL.
Old     (biscuitakatammy)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
WE CARRY STINGER AND HAVE INSTALLED IT IN MANY BOATS. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A COMPLAINT ABOUT CORROSION.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-18-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
I use welding cable in many installations as well as in my boat. All connections are crimped and soldered, no oxidizing taking place that I can see. I have even cut into the jack awhile after to see and no oxidization effects have taken place.

Plus its super cheap like 99 cents a foot for 4 awg (CND)