Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Hey all. I am currently riding a 2005 Roam and I love everything about it except trying to load the line toe side. When I cut out toe side to do a heel side jump I find that if I pull too hard or lean too far it just slips out or tucks under water. I haven't tried toeside w2w yet with it but I'm afraid I'll find the same experience. Everything heelside is great and the surface tricks are insane.

I guess my questions are - Does anybody else struggle with this on this board? Is the 06 or 07 Roam any different with regards to my problem? Is there any other board that edges better toe side without all the channels and fins? Am I just being a wimp?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-22-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
1. Put the Roam away until you have a rail to hit every time you ride.
2. Buy a board that can hold an edge...aka.. anything that doesn't say Roam on it.
3. Realize how much fun it is to wakeboard.
4. Go see Anchorman after a few drinks.
5. When you can edge clean and hard on all edges, pull the Roam back out for some fun.
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions GettingOlder.

1. I'm not interested in rails yet and don't think I will be, but never say never.
2. I have plenty of boards that don't say roam. They all stick like glue and they all suck.
3. I thought I did. Isn't that why I'm here. Oh, you mean without the Roam. Well, I guess I'm just different.
4. Go f yourself San Diego. OK, done.
5. That's what I thought. I just can't handle the stuck like glue thing.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-22-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/353649.html
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-22-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
I'd look at a board that has some bottom features yet is still able to break free. The problems you are describing can be directly attributed to the fact that your roam doesn't have any bottom features to prevent it from slipping out. I ride a CWB Absolute and it has long molded fins that offer a fair amount of traction yet are easy to release when flat and when spinning off the wake. I've ridden the 05 & 06 Roams and while they are fun they are not the greatest boards for wake tricks(the 06 is better than 05 though). Your issues will be helped by a traditional wakeboard. Roams can be ridden off the wake but it takes a more experienced rider, not to cap on your skills but it seems pretty obvious you are not ready for the Roam full time.
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
Thanks kristian and Big. Big, you're probably right. I guess I'm looking for a normal board that has looser characteristics. Wow, that's a long word.

The closest thing I've ridden so far is LF Fish 133 w/o fins. Not fun on a choppy day but it was way loose in the middle and edged well for me toeside. The PS3 looks like a longer Fish. Rounded edges in the middle, sharp at the ends. Very small molded fins and shallow channels. I might give it a demo.

I'll probably just have to demo many normal boards to find one that rides loose enough for me. I'm still open for suggestions.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-22-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
GB Wes Brisco 138 finless that is the lossest board I have ridden
Old    gotwake123            10-23-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
go with a new ronix i have one of the first ones sold and they arent very grippy without the fins and they have alot more pop than most boards. here is a ronix board that is shaped diffrent and ech side to help your toeside edging easyer http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard8.asp?ProductID=3535