Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
So I've been working on my v-drive. Had to replace the seal. Well it takes a special socket to get it off! Basically a 2" hub socket, you know the type with 4 prongs on the bottom. Well nobody makes it its an odd ball size. Indmar, the manufacturer of Malibu's new ski-V v-drive makes a specialty socket but its expensive. But here's the kicker none of the local dealers even have this socket to work on these tranny's I called all my local dealers. Heck they say they've never even taken one out. I even went to some local boat repair shops with no luck, by the way the guys at Topside Marine in San Jose were very helpfull even though they didn't have the socket either. So I ended up having to make a socket.

Then I ordered the seal and try'd ordering a new nut for the shaft. Well they sell the seal but they don't sell the nut? The nut is a nylon lock nut that holds the flange on the shaft and they don't sell it? I don't usually like re-using lock nuts especially nylon lock nuts but I have no choice now! Well I do actually, if I want a new lock nut I have to buy a new v-drive and it comes with a new lock nut on it! Why are these manafactureers not supporting the products they sell with parts?

And then to order the seal its a pain, can't order it direct from Indmar, have to order from the malibu dealer, who orders it through Malibu, then Malibu orders it from Indmar, then hopefully Indmar shipped it out!

I well say James at Salinas Marine was really cool and did everything he could to get it over nighted to me. Hopefully it actually arrives today!

I just can't believe how difficult they make it to work on your own boat! I guess gripe over with!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
they do it just to piss you off. did it work?
Old    SamIngram            06-04-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Go to a transmission shop, they all have that socket. The guy in the Snap On truck also has it, but it's not in the catalog.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Transmission shops dont have it Sam, they only carry it for vehicle specific applications, 2 3/8 ' for chevy 2.25" for ford and 1.75" for mercedes, trust me I tried. Also snap-on doesn't carry it either I spoke with my local snap-on dealer don, he looked everywhere and even called in to speak with his tech line giving them the specs and they said no dice! Trust me I tried everyone and no one carry's that socket. It truly is one of a kind. The socket has to be 2" o.d. the closet socket anybody manufacturers is 2" i.d.

Robert I don't like your reasoning but i have a feeling your 100% right! It worked too! I spent 6 hours driving all over the place and then ended up spending another couple hours buying material and maching a socket!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Do you have mig welder and some patience? You could probly fab one up thatll work...
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
I threw a 2" pipe on my end mill and made one but its just a pain in the butt they don't make it in a normal size or the fact manafactureers don't supply all the dealers with all the tools they need to work on our boats.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
robert seems like all the manufacturers car and boat also motorcycle don't want anyone but their dealer techs to have access to tools and equipment to fix their products. i've been in your shoes before. execpt i was cussin alot!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-04-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Its only Malibu. When I owned my dealership we had to make that tool to work on the Malibu's. PITA!!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Maybe you can sell the socket to the transmission manufactuer now?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-04-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alans View Post
Its only Malibu. When I owned my dealership we had to make that tool to work on the Malibu's. PITA!!
How so? Malibu is not the only mfr that uses the Walter V-drive unit.

This is not good. My V-drive has a slow leak in that seal that I need to fix. In fact, it's a known common problem with the Walter units. Can you post a sketch of your custom socket? Want to make another one?
Old     (malibumatt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-04-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
sounds like someone has a business opportunit on their hands.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Mine is in the shop getting a second replacement v-drive covered under warranty because of a leak. This will be the third v-drive in the boat. They replace them because it's cheaper then paying the mechanic to re seal it.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
My boat doesn't have the Walters v-drive it has the ski-v which is the new v-drive malibu has been using since 06 according to malibu! As for selling the sockets not worth it there a pain in the but and unless its hardened steel the damn tabs bend after using it one time i'd have to make another just to replace it again if I had too!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-04-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
If I remember correctly it is not the v-drive that is the issue, it is the clearance between the v-drive and the gas tank or support that is the issue.