Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-31-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
How many will sale their boats due to the gas prices going so high. Believe me the thought has crossed my mind. Kind of kills the joy at the start of the day and your out over a bill before you ever hit the water.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-31-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
sell.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-31-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
I would never sell my boat,its to much fun.Ill cancel my cell phone,cable,internet and anyother entertainment costs first.
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-31-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
I agree too much fun, plus it is relaxing being on the water

good luck
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-31-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
It is tough when you go to the pump, but all is forgotten when you're standing on the swim step racheting down your bindings.... I will say though it sure makes me less bashful reminding those friends that don't always offer up gas funds just how much the boat costs to run.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-31-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
Dude, pimp your sister for gas money, but keep the boat.....
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-31-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
sell, never. Gas, is just another expense. You can cut down in a lot of places. maybe it will mean fewer people on the water
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-31-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
I would never sell my boat. Its my life style I bust my A$$ to get cash to ride. I will just sand and paint more boxes to ride. I would sell my house before I sell my boat she is like part of my family. Besides Charles if everyone sold their boats where would that leave you and I for income. Plus your profile pics says it all.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
Charles: I say save your gas money for stereo equpment. Then you can park your boat and turn up the tunes and save gas!
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-31-2005, 9:01 PM Reply   
Oh I wont sell her, I know a lot of people put them self in the hole just to own a boat. I am lucky to be able to own mine and enjoy it. It is hard to watch the pump just keep rolling the numbers, but we all do what we love.

Grant we still dump tons into the boats, i think we would paddle out if we had to.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-31-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
I'll live on my boat before I sell it. Probably would want the hot water shower upgrade though first.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-31-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
Like any other sport..got to pay to play!!!!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2005, 10:53 PM Reply   
People will change the car/truck they drive, not the boat they drive.

BTW, how much better is the SAN with gas over any other top-of-the-line wake boat?

We went out all day on Wes's SAN the other day and we used something like 25 gallons. Geeze, my BU would have blown through 35 gallons for the same day. At $3 per gallon the SAN saves $30 per outing. Interesting....

Narrow boats like the SAN rock. Great wakes for less ballast and less gas.

What we need is the SAN with the TOYOTA engine with the BU storage. Sign me up!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
sell my boat? I just bought one. picking it up on Saturday! I hope that dealer throws in a full tank of gas!
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-01-2005, 6:51 AM Reply   
Yeah, I bought mine almost two months ago and demanded a full tank.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       09-01-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
Hey GD, I think my SAN goes through about 4 gallons an hour, with regular crew and weight. I'd guess running the wedge would be a big drag on Malibu fuel consumption, although I'm sure a smaller hull could help too.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
Selling mine.

To buy a new one. Testing 2 this w/e.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-01-2005, 7:35 AM Reply   
My old '01 SAN w GT-40 was pretty good on gas, but this new one is outrageos. Just rolled 10 hrs since my second fillup and I am barely under 1/2 tank.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-01-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
The people that will sell is the people that barely use their boat. Kind of akward.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
chas your not allowed too sell i'd have to find a new boat to whore on.
Old     (wickedride)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-01-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
yes chas you cant as i will also have to find a new boat to whore on, by the way emily leaves oct. 15th fro arkansas
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-01-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Yup, I'd sell everything else before selling my boat. I'm gonna get a tractor to launch it with so I can ride a motorcycle to and from the boat (I leave my boat at the water). I agree though; no gas money, no pulls. I used to be a little more lenient. I also will probably be doing less lake trips to save truck gas and trying to ride closer to where I launch instead of driving around all day.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
That's a ridiculeous question! If you consider fuel to be a major expense in your wakeboarding experience, then you need a refresher in economics.

-cost of boat (whether you call it payments or depreciation)
- repairs, maintenance, upgrades (like sound system, ballst etc)
- Insurance
- Tow vehicle
- New WB gear every now and then
- Missed days at work to go WB'ing
- time wasted on this stupid forum during work hours
- Rental of lakeside property (or premium when buying)
- annual trips to WB camp
- Everything that comes with being on a lakeside lot - like guests that show up on sunny saturdays and that end up staying for lunch dinner, and breakfast the next day.

I'm sure you folks can think of a million other related cost...

But you know what, it's worth every penny! Hell, just think of what you could be doing, for example this coming long week-end, if it weren't for Wakeboarding.

- Cleaning the house
- Go for a bike ride (zzzz...)
- Invite the in-laws for dinner
- wash the car
- Go watch another useless movie
- waste time on the internet or in front of the Boob-Tube

Like Steve said, there are many other useless expenses I would cut before giving up WB'ing.

Santa
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-01-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
I gave up Starbucks @ 4$ a cup, less bottled water @ 8$ a gallon.

I will hang onto my Toyota Epic for a while, digging the 61% less gas consumption.

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-01-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
higher gas prices = less people on the lake
Old    sebastian            09-01-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
hmm I think it's people that r thinking aobut buying a boat, not the owners
Old    sebastian            09-01-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
hmm I think it's people that r thinking about buying a boat, not the owners
Old    zboomer            09-01-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Not selling, but I'll be riding without ballast a lot more, and doing more anchoring/swimming!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Shoot I already gave up Starbucks to pay for the boat in the first place. Looks like Chipotle is next. I'll just bring more friends along for more gas money and free beer.
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
Santa's right with the numbers. Better start dollar cost averaging your fuel, It's only going to get higher. My boat's been in a slip since late June. Dock gas since then has gone from $2.99 up to $3.60 (last weekend). I'm sure that this weekend it'll be at $4.00 due to the Katrina factor. Fuel going up 40% is a drag, but not a reason to 'Sale' the boat. If Santa's overhead list jumps 40% then I might be looking for a co-owner. Sell? No way.
Old    oshensurfer            09-01-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
I sold mine to upgrade, but I'm second guessing the larger boat now....
Old    powaman            09-01-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
I make due with my little 140 horse 4 cylinder:-)
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-05-2005, 1:45 AM Reply   
I'm sure we will be able to see the difference at the lake if the gas price will stay this high (or higher). But the first ones the stay home or sell will be the weekend wallys and party-pontoons. Real skiers and wakeboarders will be out there as before.
The boat industry in general is going to take a major hit though...

(Message edited by bughunter on September 05, 2005)
Old    absolutofft            09-05-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
I'm going to go to venezuala and fill a tanker with some cheap oil. Does anybody want some?

(Message edited by absolutofft on September 05, 2005)
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
I just ride with lots of people, that helps bring the costs of gas down to like 5 bucks a person. We had, I think, 12 people on our team boat ('05 MC 197 ProStar) and the gas only cost like 3 bucks a piece. If you have people who are...well, decent human beings, gas shouldn't be such a bad factor.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-05-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
I would try wearing that shirt that says "My boat works on gas not thanks".
Only if your guests don't get offended.

Aaron, I'll pay $1.00 a gallon for some of that Venezuelan gold. It's only like 18 cents a gallon in that country.

(Message edited by mbrown on September 05, 2005)
Old    flipout            09-06-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Im selling mine. You guys should help a fellow boarder out. Go to classifieds and help sell one of your friends my 1996 Malibu. I need a bigger one. My kids are 2 and 4 add a small crew and there isn't much room. I can handle the gas. Like the guy said earlier, trade in the vehicle for a more economical one.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
As wakeboarding progesses from a passion, to an obsession to a way of life the cost of fuel goes from "Holy Sh_t" to "Whatever it Takes" :-)

(Message edited by MonsterTower on September 06, 2005)
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
Just bought it almost 2 months ago. Planning on going out just about every weekend until it gets cold.