Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-17-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
Me and the kids got out for a midweek session today - can't believe it's only March 17th. Beware of logs in the channels - while my daughter was riding we had to navigate around two logs capable of doing serious damage to the prop. I started paying attention to those weeds and sticks that we usually see to make sure we didn't hit anything large.

Hopefully this weather holds - in a few weeks we won't need to wear the shortie if it stays like this.
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-17-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
curt might have seen you 2day becuase we only saw 2 other boats we were in the red sky supreme........... 2day was awesome didnt even need at wetsuit. but there was a ton a stuff in the water
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-18-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
you should see my rudder
Old    jetgofish            03-18-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
Curt,

We've had unusually high tides this past week from all the run off. I live in Disco and have been riding all winter, where were you that you saw all these logs? Rode Victorias the other day and not a log to be seen, but out in Whiskey slough there were a few floaters.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-18-2004, 10:45 PM Reply   
I left a log in the delta one time...

And fyi...just because you dont see a log doesn't mean that it isn't there. I was with Chris Anthony when he hit a huge ass log and destroyed his rudder. Neither of us saw anything then all of a sudden BAM...
Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2004, 10:48 PM Reply   
Danny - we were in a Sanger v210 with 2 adults and 4 kids. We only saw two boats pulling as well, I remember a Moomba but I'm not sure about the Sky Supreme.

Teri - I'm not sure I know the name of the slough but we launch at Orwood go out past Disco and then hang a right at the T intersection and then a quick left (Skiers Beach is at the far end). Anyway, logs were on the side when driving away from Disco and towards Skiers Beach about halfway there. Easy to miss logs because there was so much small crap in the water. Since you ride out there year round, how often does this occur or is it mainly a spring phenom related to runoff?

Curt
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2004, 5:18 AM Reply   
i was out last week and there was no logs or debrie... then went out yesterday and it was everywhere... not sure why this week it was everywhere
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2004, 6:14 AM Reply   
Agreed with Scott, I didn't see anything and Bam! lost a tracking fin and and hit my prop. Still never seen anything.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2004, 7:04 AM Reply   
yesterday i saw a big one.... didnt see it till after i past and it was in the wake
Old    jetgofish            03-19-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
Scotta - We don't like the logs you left in the Delta!!! And yes they I know they lurk under the water, silly!

Curt - This is a regular occurance. This year a little more so than years past. With the early warm weather and abundance of run off the tides are plus tides (meaning higher than normal). This year I've noticed more debris in the water. They have been spraying the water hycinth to kill them off and when doing so the large clumps tend to break apart pulling with them weed, tules and logs that would have normally been trapped in the massive clumps. I would suspect by April or end of that the debris fields will be less and less. This is a normal after winter die off!

As Chad and Scotta mentioned look out for the submerged logs. Back in January my roommate and I plowed into a duzzy in Victoria's bent the prop up so much we cruised home at 5 mph! Not a fun drive!

Chad - you were riding in what is called Twin Sloughs!

(Message edited by jetgofish on March 19, 2004)
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
teri knows everything!!!
teri did you know:
In 1642, the first brewery in America opened in Hoboken.
Old    jetgofish            03-19-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
Aaron - I guess 29 years of growing up literally on the water does this to you. My grandfather was on the Delta most of his life after he moved to Pittsburg after WWII. Coming from a bass fishing family and out of a 6 year relationship with a bassfisherman who was on the water nearly 360 a year I can tell you alot about the ever changing water was we call the Delta!

Did you also know that procipines can not swim so in order to cross a body of water they must walk along the bottom or around it?

Here's a great Delta fact for you to!

"Indians had lived in the California Delta for centuries when the Spaniards first found it in 1772. The region was heavy from spring rains and from their view atop Mount Diablo they thought it to be a huge inland lake. French trappers arrived in 1832, and mountain men like Jedidiah Smith trekked its high ground. But it was the discovery of gold on the American River in Coloma in 1848 that hastened the reclamation and settlement of the Delta. Starting in '49, paddlewheeler steamboats brought Argonauts to the fledgling waterfront towns of Sacramento and Stockton, who then went overland to the mines. The California Gold Rush was on. History was in the making."
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2004, 8:57 AM Reply   
i rest my case.... she knows everything
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-19-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
Tell us more Teri!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-19-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
I don't know about logs, but I rode right over a tire and rim last night...I'm not talking dubs either. Just some hacked 15" bias-ply. Dude....That'd do some serious damage to my rudder if I bailed on it. Mill-i-wa-kay is the proper pronounciation by the way

Wet suit top only last night...feel the stoke. Yeah, workin' it.
Old    norcal_99            03-19-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
Teri, Did you know....There are over 50 bridges spanning navigable waterways in the Delta.
Old    jetgofish            03-19-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Rene - Actually I did, but thank you for pointing this out for me.

Did you know that the Delta's first drawbridge was Lisle's Bridge, a vertical lift (sort of) timber bridge installed across the lower American River in 1851?
Old    piglet69            03-19-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
Last month sometime, we had a rider actually hit an unseen log and fall while cutting into the wake... I believe stefani has aa video posted around here somewhere about the Gators in the Delta, showing the footage of this happening .... Rider and boat are both ok :-)
Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-19-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
Scott

You're just hoping that legend will keep a few more riders out of the area. Reminds me of Bill Murray in the hazmat suit in Caddyshack. Nothing like a Baby Ruth to clear out the pool. But seriously in the Delta you have to look out for the sharks, leeches, and other water animals that like to bite - I heard they might carry rabies.
Old    upupnaway            03-20-2004, 6:01 AM Reply   
Isn't it also filled with jellyfish and swimming scorpions?
Old     (bluesman)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-20-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
What's the water temp at the delta?
Old    piglet69            03-20-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
32 f right now, I wouldnt go there if I were you
Old    norcal_99            03-20-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
Teri, Did you know....That the same day Scott A dropped a log into the delta, three other crew members, on the same boat, rode dangerously close to it on at least seven occasions?
Old    jetgofish            03-22-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
Rene - I didn't know that! I'll have to add that to the fact book!

All - based on the number of boats out on Sunday I'd have to say that Scotta's log and all the gators, jelly fish, scorpians, sharks, seal and every other deadly fish out there aren't keeping the yahoo's away!

Dang ... Scotta ... more logs please \clipart.
{blush}

the Delta is so cold right now, dry suits with 4 layers won't keep you warm
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2004, 10:48 PM Reply   
Yahoos is right! And it's only March.
We saw a big daddy sea lion at old river and then later I tagged something underwater on Victoria and jacked up Fisher's prop. When we pulled the boat out you could see it was a straight gash with embedded rust stain - looked to me like it probably was re-bar, but I guess it could have been an old refigerator or car with all the crap that people throw in there.