Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-21-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
Finished an install today on my buddys.Replaced factory speakers, added fosgate 450.4 pushing to Pro 80's. Turned the volume up to 26 and headunit shut off. I unpluged front speakers and works fine, same when i unplug rear's. I tooke the copper wire from the factory and put to all positives, took silve wire and put to all negatives. When i looked at the 2 plugs that join the factory speaker wire to the headunit there are + wires going to - wires. Which makes me think that the factory wires these boats in series. If thats the case i will just cut the factory harness's and connect + + and - - Anyone know for sure?

Also on the punch 450.4 it is 225x2 @ 4 ohms bridged. So i have one pro 80 bridged off two channels of the amp and the other pro 80 bridged off the other two channels. Sounds great, i was really surprized since the amp was left in the boat when he bought it (hence being a repo'd boat) My question is there is a button for 2 channel or 4 channel what does this need to be set on?
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-21-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
1. Check the resistance at the amp with a multimeter, sounds like impedance is too low causing amp to go into protect.

You need to take pics of the wiring, or trace it and see how its wired.

if its wired like

| speaker | | speaker |
+ - + -
=series

| speaker |
+ -
| speaker |
+ -
= paralell

could be they didn't know how to wire it and messed up the wiring as well.

2. Needs to be on 2 channel if your running in bridged mode like that.
Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-21-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
The amp is powering the tower speakers, i can turn those up all the way when the cabin speakers that are ran off the HU are not hooked up.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Funny, I'm going through the same thing. Cuts out at 26 as well. I spent Sat. re-wiring to series from parallel. I have 6 cabin speakers wired to a kicker 650.4. I put the 2 bow speakers each on their own channel. The other 4 are in 2 pairs running about 7.2 Ohms. Turned it on, and bam... same problem. I isolated my problem to one of the front speakers. I originally thought it was a bad crossover. I've since found that to not be the case. It's either a tweet or the woofer. Pretty sure it's the tweet, but we'll see tomorrow.

It's possible you don't have a load problem at all, but instead have a bad component somewhere. If your resistance readings show ok, then unplug all the speakers wires. Turn up the volume on your headunit. If your amp kicks, you know it's in your RCA's or you've got a bad amp. If nothing, then you know to start isolating speakers. In that case, just start plugging in speakers one at a time. I'm betting it's a resistance problem though. Good luck finding it!
Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-21-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
I am running the cabin speakers off the headunit.
The tower speakers off one amp. If i unplug the cabin speakers from the HU, and just listen to the tower speakers i have no problems. I have a problem when all 6 speakers are played through the HU, the HU shuts off at high volume making me think the load is wrong, which leads me to series and parell
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
mine did that as well. I dont think your HU has enough power and its shutting down. I just amped all my moomba internal speakers and it kicks ass
Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-22-2008, 3:25 AM Reply   
anyone else have any input here? Was i clear enough on my situation
Old    jhoffeld            05-22-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have an '06 Supra with a very similar setup as you are talking about. Factory Kenwood HU and cabin speakers. Sub and Wetsounds are on amps. Mine has always done the same thing and I have accounted it to a load problem on the HU. If I fade the power away from the rear cabin speakers to the front, it allows me to turn the HU volume higher before cutting out, I guess since there are less speakers to power. I believe that you are just going to need an amp on the cabin speakers to get it louder. I have just accepted 25 or 26 volume and cranked the tower speakers up on the amp. The rider gets good volume without too much in the boat. Your description sounds clear to me since it has been the same problem with mine.