Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       07-03-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
So Isaac and I went to Lake Anderson and I took my brand new boat and I was rejected because of ounces of water in my front. So they just took my money. It has got to be a money scam to make more. The clown even went under my boat and said I had water on my trailer...WTF I just drove there and on their roads there was puddles I had to run through...lol....what a joke, anyone else have issues there??
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-03-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
Yea this mussel thing has the state going way overboard. They were not going to let me on Perris because they could not see my tanks (the 4 built in ones), we got lucky and found someone to say OK. it took 2 hrs though.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
I know Santa Clara county is taking it seriously but it only takes one boat to get through and then theres a problem that cost who knows how much once the mussells invade the piping. They tagged your boat right Jason so your good to go next time. I have a friend who goes to the delta and Anderson. Luckily he lives close so he can take it by there after going to the delta a few days in advance and have the tag put on. It costs money but its only fair the ones using the lake pay for it. The problem is only some counties are doing it so nothing is uniform and we all don't know what to expect. The mussells are in the state already so all the lakes better come up with something. I go to Don Pedro and they dont do anything. How long will it take for someone from So Cal to go camping there and leave some mussells behind? If it hasen't happened yet.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I completely agree. This zebra mussel problem is here and its spreading no matter what. No matter how freakish the lake inspectors get, something is going to slip through, if it hasn't already. Boat inspections are not going to stop the mussels, its just slowing the spread. The focus needs to be on finding a way to exterminate or clean.

I go almost exclusively to Lake Elsinore, and I'm worried that sooner or later we are going to start getting the Nazi inspections.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       07-03-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
I live in San Jose so I would like to use Anderson and Delta, but my boat was brand new never in water...they let 200 on and fail 200 to get more money...I get we are trying to protect our lakes, but come on. Just going to store boat at Delta..
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-03-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
I never had an issue at Anderson but I am very anal about making sure all is dry before getting there. I have not been there this year though so maybe my luck could run out.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-04-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
Jason my brother and I stored our bu at Orwood all last year, we are dropping here off MOnday for this summer. It's the best thing we ever did, no more Anderson, lots more time on the water.
Plus Anderson is blownout by 11:30 everyday. Plus it's really not that big. The only plus is the crap hole is close to home, but IMO not worth it.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-05-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
Just reuse your old band after you get it! They peel right off! Next time you go just slap it back on! lol

Did i say that out loud? oops!
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-05-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
any info on these zebra mussels? there are a bunch of clams type things here that i have never noticed before today
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-05-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
never mind thats not what we have. must be just regular clams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_mussel
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-05-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
Jason - Sorry it didn't work out for you man. I, like you, am five minutes from Calero and 15/20 minutes for Anderson but I don't even bother with either. Not worth the hassle.

T

(Message edited by trevorg7 on July 05, 2009)
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-05-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
that sucks for you guys there here in idaho they make us pay for a seperate registration sticker for the mussels and there trying to pass a law that anyone towing a boat here has to pull in a port of entry to have your boat inspected
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-05-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Take a run down to Disco and give them a salting. Being freshwater animals they probably won't like it. Either that or run some bleach your tanks.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
Salt in Disco???

The salt doesn't really make it past the Carquinez bridge, at least not more than PPM levels. To get enough salt to kill them you are going to need to go to the bay and that's going to do more damage than good.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-06-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
I stick to Anderson mostly because it's the closest body of water to me and so far I haven't had any issues. Trick is to pre-inspect before going to the actual inspection hut. I've always found some water some where after trailing up from salinas even if I've let it air dry for a few days. When I get up to the parking lot, I don't go straight to the inspection station. I park the boat, remove all cushions and check for standing water. I've always found some water(drops even) either between the cushions or lately it's been inside the battery compartments. Needless to say, I've been pretty lucky but the pre-inspection is key to avoiding the "walk of shame" when you fail an inspection. No fun whatsover..
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Right like I said I did that, my boat was new from show room...lol
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Its cool though Im storing at the delta where riding is grand!!!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
I totally feel your pain. I have been kicked once and now I just keep rocking the band. I think the way it works is that if you are failed but banded you still only pay once correct?

My biggest beef with the process is its inconsistencies. I have gone through inspection 3-4 times and each time its a different level of thoroughness. One time I didn't have to open anything up...the next I had to take everything apart. Ultimately once you figure out where your boat retains water its a pretty fast process to pre-inspect. Plus you can perform a quick wipedown in the parking lot before inspection.

However MORE importantly IMHO is to keep using the lake so they simply dont close it down and deem it a reservoir. There are very few lakes around here and it would be nice to keep them open.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-07-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
My lake (in Missouri) is worried about the zebra mussels also. I wash my boat at the car wash using high pressure/hot water to kill them, and let the boat dry before the next outing which also kills them.

What I am concerned about is that people think there is no way to kill them when in fact they are a living thing, and there are a lot of ways:
1) Regular old water above 104 degrees F kills them.
2) A mild Water/Bleach solution kills them.
3) Water/KCL solution kills them.
4) Drying the boat out kills them.

They have even proved that zebra mussels can be eradicated from a totally infested lake after the fact using Potassium Chloride (KCL).

Here is the EPA write up about the successful eradication that was done in 2006 at Millbrook.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/zebramussels/

(Message edited by tj_in_kc on July 07, 2009)