Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (jessz71)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
I know this is kind of a wild question, but has anyone brought a wakeboard with them on a plane lately? Just wondering if they charge out the rear for bringing one on the plane.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
they hit you extra if they know its a wakeboard.... so lie.

Slingshot makes a wakeboard bag that says "PRO TOUR GOLF" on the side, so its a lot easier to lie about it.

If you're going for an extended period, and in the states, I would UPS it... only like $15~ for the board, pack your boots.... cheaper than checking another bag
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-10-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
No charge with Southwest. They just won't insure them, and it must be under 50lbs. A lot of airlines are like that, and charge once it's over 50lbs. Golf bags are the only thing allowed over 50lbs
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-10-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I like the Liquid Force golf bag myself. It has done the trick when traveling. You can buy it on the Liquid Force website and some lucky dealer near you will get it shipped right out.

Liquid Force Golf Bag
Old     (amark)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-10-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
do u have to have it in a bag if u fly? or could u just check it, with the bindings on n no bag?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-10-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
I've told them it was a snowboard since most people have no idea what a wakeboard is.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-10-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
You could just check it as long as you never want to ride it again.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
i just tell them its snowgear
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-10-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Why do you get charged extra if it's a wakeboard? Why are golf bags ok? People bring guitars on planes, I don't see what the difference is.
Old     (osu_bcky1)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-10-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
They put it in the same category as a surfboard which can often run several feet longer. Typical close minded morons that judge too fast because its name almost sounds like a surfboard. Ive also heard you can call it a "water ski" which usually counts as a standard checked bag and get by.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-10-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
I believe because of a "foam core" they charge extra since they are more vulnerable to be damage.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
We flew United Air back in October. I just threw it up there and said hear is my skiing equipment. They let it go as regular checked luggage due to being under 50 lbs. Their policy is to charge about $125 or so for a wakeboard though.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-11-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
Like A-Dub said Southwest is awesome. Try to fly with them, it's cheaper all the way around and they have great rewards. US Air is the worst for fee's. Southwest even has free curbside check-in, you should always tip of course... Wow I sound like a spokes person for SW
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
Most airlines, other than Southwest, will charge you the standard price, about $15, as long as you say it's snowboard gear. Don't tell them it's a surfboard or you'll get stuck with big fees.

I just flew last Memorial weekend, with a board, and checked with the airline before I went. So, first hand experience here.
Old     (jessz71)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
I am just putting the board in a old carrying case I have and it says cwb all over it. The only reason I asked because last time I flew she wanted to charge me $100 dollars each way because it was a surfboard. I argued with the lady and two other employees at the counter and didn't win. I just wanted to see what everyone else does.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
it's ski equipment, doesn't even matter snow or water. They then usually assume it's snowboards, which are usually free under 50lbs.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-11-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Jees, the same thing happened to me on a return from TSR to Florida. Several of us packed 4 boards into one bag (about 35lbs). They insisted they were surf boards and wanted over $200 because of multiple boards. Fortunately everyone else was already at the gate and I told them I would pay the $80 for one board but they would need to call the others at the gate to ok the rest of the money. They settled for $80 and it cost us each $20.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Shipping it is super easy if you've got someone to receive it on the other end. Go to your local board shop and pick up a box from a new board. Pack it up and ship away.... It'll get there in less than a week and will be way easier than toting an extra large bag through the airport. Just a thought....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
another tip; if you've got multiple boards or are close on the weight, take the bindings off and put them in a duffle bag as a carry on. Weight doesn't matter on the carry ons.
Old     (buckweat)      Join Date: May 2009       06-11-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
Just flew from seattle to utah and back had it in a bag and it had to be under 50lbs on Southwest they didn't even ask what it was.
Old     (ncsumalibu)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-12-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
In my best Samuel Jackson voice...."There's to many F****** wakeboards on this F****** plane"!
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-12-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
The easiest thing to do for me is to check it in with the Sky cap and give him a $10. They usally won't even ask once they see the $10.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-14-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
If you take the bindings off and do what Evan suggested, get a box, you're golden. I just tape the board up between two layers of cardboard, kind of a big cardboard envelope. When I check it, I tell them it's a picture. No problems.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Or the Samuel L. Jackson TV version:
"I have had it with these monkey fighting wakeboards on this Monday to Friday plane!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A&feature=related
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
Definately UPS or FedEx it. My board got lost when we went to Orlando to ride at O'Town. We arrived on Thursday, my board didn't get there until Saturday! I'm just glad I got it back! I'll never check my board again. They won't insure it, and they had no idea where it was. The airline said, and this is a direct quote "We don't scan luggage at departure or arrival, so it could be anywhere" Made me feel pretty safe.
Old     (phat_steve)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-15-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
I flew us airways from New York JFK to las vegas and back on delta. Both charged me 15 Bucks. I have the liquid force travel bag. I had two boards two sets of bindings rope, handle, and one life vest packed in it. Total weight was only 43lbs.
Old     (phil_dixon)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-19-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
Delta screwed me over real bad.....my board was well under all the requirements to put it on the plane and they still charged me $220 to bring it. I called and complained and all they basically said was thats tuff s*#t, and that they wouldn't refund my money because its a competitive market of some crap......F*#K Delta
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-19-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
Wow for 220 you could buy a new board haha.