Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sendtobrit)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-17-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
We were at a lake all week last week and while the boat sat on the water it took on water. The bilge would automatically come on during the night. The Shaft seal is brand new just got replaced and before we left it was re-tightened after installed. What is the normal water intake on these direct drive boats? Is this normal? I need some help cause the dealer is saying its normal and it doesn't seem normal to me.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-17-2014, 8:01 PM Reply   
At 10-12 drips a minute you should be able to run all day and take on less than a gallon of water.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2014, 9:25 PM Reply   
I've never had that happen in several years so to say that's normal to me would be a misnomer. I don't feel as though you should be getting enough through the shaft seal to kick on the auto bilge.
Old     (sendtobrit)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-17-2014, 10:17 PM Reply   
yea when the engine is running it is misting out the seal kind of like a shower head. Its way to much water in my opinion. But the crazy thing is when it;s sitting still that's the part we can't figure out.
Old     (aussieboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-18-2014, 3:31 AM Reply   
Is it the seal for the rudder? I also had a leak and thought it was the shaft seal. Ended up being the seal for rudder.

The bilge would go on every 30 minutes for about 2 minutes, so it was quite a bit of water coming in.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-18-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
I had the same problem but it was the through bolts on the swim platform that were leaking. You also might check your exhaust hoses and mufflers, raw water intake, and any intakes for ballast
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-18-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
Sounds like they did not replace your shaft packing properly... Should not be "misting" around the shaft packing. Should just have the slight drip people mentioned. Probably getting all your excess water around that packing....
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-18-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
I know you got it posted in the right section now, but next time, try not to post two threads. Not only does it clutter up the forum, but it's hard to keep track of the discussion.