Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-10-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Do any of you take out kids as thirds or do you like to have a parent along?
Old    murrayair            02-10-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
I've had my little cousins and their friends as thrids that are that age and I dont really have any problem with them usually. Just make sure that if any of them have never really been on the boat you tell them the rules.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-10-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
I personally wouldn't have anyone under 18 on my boat. Too much liability.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-10-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
I duno i trust alot more people under 18 to be safe on the boat. But then again we have all been on the boat our entire lives, my dad would use me as the flager back in his slalom because the wake would be smaller.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-10-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
SO would any of you guys allow me (13) as a third?
Old    chris_newrider            02-11-2005, 4:31 AM Reply   
My daughter (12) is the best third anyone could ask for. She's a great spotter, she helps with the rope, boards, towels, etc. And the best part...she wakeboards right along with us!

Yes, I would allow you as a third Zack.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 6:03 AM Reply   
At 13, my brother and I were pulling each other with no one over 18 in the boat! Times have changed!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-11-2005, 6:38 AM Reply   
I ride occassionally with a 16 yr old and have had no problems. Helps on gas, cleaning, etc. He's an experienced rider, (I usually have someone else drive) and knows the rules.
Old    walt            02-11-2005, 6:57 AM Reply   
My son is 12 years old, soon to be 13 and I use him as my third every now and then. My son is very responsible for 13 but I know other kids and adults for that matter that wouldn't make a good third. It really sucks to have someone that doesn't pat attention as a third.
A friend of mine has a son that's 14 that even drives the boat and does a better job than a lot of adults .
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
My cousin has been my third most of the time the past two summers. He turns 11 in a few weeks. I don't let him drive but he's really good at everything else. In MN, legally speaking, no one under 18 is allowed to drive my boat, too much HP.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-11-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
Hey Mark, is that your boat or any boat? In MI you can your boaters saftey lic at 12.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-11-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
Airwarrior;
I think having you as a third would not be a problem as long as there was some discussion with your parents prior. There is a lot of liability for the owner in taking other in the boat. Age has no berring in the leagality of it. But as a boat owner I hope that people in this day and age can take ownership of there actions. I bring my daughter (14 7/8th) regulary with me and she brings a friend most of the time. I have never had a problem and would not expect any. So in short I would not have a problem with it as long as parents of the kids going are fully aware of where we will be and are comfortable with it.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-11-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
We've never had an issue with minors on the boat. Heck, i've been pulling my dad skiing since i was about 15, sometimes all by myself if nobody else was around. my sister has even pulled us when she was 15 or so. I guess if you grow up having your kids around motorsports all the time, you trust them with vehicles a lot more than most other people do.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
I'm 14 tommorow and go out with my dad and my buddy and pull my dad slalom @36 and my friend is the spotter, no problems, I'm licensed to by the way, well, g2g back to school
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-11-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
I've been pulling skiers since I was 11 years old. My mom is terrible at it and gets really nervous. It's all about experience & responsibility. In CA you have to be at least 12 to be an observer & I think that's a good idea as long as the importance has been taught. Now at my old age of 23 I have been pulling skiers/riders longer than not & am pretty good at it, as long as there are no ladies in the bow, then I'm a terrible driver.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-11-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
I've been taking my son as a third for 5 years. He was 4 when we started. All we had to do was let him swim once in awhile and he was happy. He just turned 10 last week as far as I'm concerned he is a second and I'm now looking for a 3rd. He helps out on all aspects and rules of the boats.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
In reference to my first statement. I think it's all sorts of different if we're talking about your own kids. I mean, who doesn't take their kids out on their boat? It's a family activity.

Being a 26 y/o single male and most of my riding buddies being about the same, I just wouldn't feel comfortable bringing someone elses teenager out with us as a third or for some pulls.

On a related note, I also don't like to pull anyone that doesn't have health insurance.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-11-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
Half the time my third is under 18. My 12 or 15 year old neighbours are some of the best thirds I ever have in my boat. Most of my crew come to think of it, or at least half of it is made up of riders under 18. I just don't let them drive.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-11-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I take my freinds boy and his friends camping with us all the time. They started going with us when they where 14. I didn't think twice about it. We even took him to Shasta for a week a few years ago. The boy know that if he get out of line I have permission to slap him around . He is 18 now and I'll still invite him to come along this summer. Would I do this with everyone heck NO.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-11-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
My daughter soon to be 11 is my best observer. She is very responsible and pays attention. I have also taught her how to drive a boat. She has passed the USCG test, although too young for the official test. She can even hold the line in a slalom course, can block a pull, and knows the Perfect Pass adjustments. She is always under direct observation and control of a responsible adult.

The point is this: with kids, the maturity of the kid is the important thing. There are some adults I won't trust to be an observer or even touch the throttle. Of course, know and obey your state laws regarding children in the various roles in the boat.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-11-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Both my sons 11 & 13 both spot and can drive including towing. They have been brought up on boats all their lives and have a very firm understanding that safety is first I will not tolerate any horseplay bull----. I trust them 100%, but supervise them well too. Now some of their friedns are not as mature or well behaved and I pay a little closer attention to them and in fact would NOT trust some of them to handle such responsibility. So Zack to answer your question if can act responsibilly and control the situation I would certinly give you a chance if you were on my boat. I think it makes a young man more responsible and aware of their behavior and actions.

Rick
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
both my 12 and 14 year old sons are the third. My 14 year old will be taking the boating safety coarse this spring so he can legally drive. I have more faith in him that in plenty of adults I have seen.
Old    michaelvinczii            02-12-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Ive been driving boats, waverunners, etc. since i was a small small child. You teach the children when they are young and its a second nature by the time they are allowed to go out by themselves. I would trust a younger experienced driver thanany old one. Responsiblitity is the key to it. Even though I still love to goof off at 20, I know more about boats and driving than most people twice my age. But that happens when you grow up on water and lakes skiing and ridingall your life.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-12-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
I got my boaters licence when I was 9 for flordia nad now I am 14 and me and some friends, ll 14 yeras old, drop the boat in, go riding, come back, put it on the lift, spray the boat down, spray all the gear down(salt water), put the cover on, and put everything away. While we are out riding, one person is the spoter, one drives, one rides, and the rest sit. We all are very responsible and none of us mess around enough for anyone to get hurt. It just shows the people who say "I don't let anyone under 18 on my boat" that they are wrong and are pre-judging people under 18! just my opinion! I bet Im more responsible then a third of the people like the ones who go out with beer and 15 people and go partying while wakeboarding
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-12-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
OK! sounds great if any of you need a third in nor cali just call me i do more on the boat dock it everythinig my dad doesn't even need to get out of the drivers seat well of course if in im the water wakeboarding. i look forward to riding with all of you so yeah just give me a call. ill be glad to tag along!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-12-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
sorry I was 10 when I got my liscece...
Old    wakeboardn4life            02-12-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
me and my friends take our my friends boat and he is 16 im 15 and everyone else that usally goes with us is 15
Old    blind5            02-12-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
i started taking the boat out by myself at age 12
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-12-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
Zack, when it comes down to it your parents still have the final say an any situation where you will be going out with someone older than you who they may not know. And I would hope that anyone who you were going to go out with would take the initiative to speak with your parents before taking you out. Most of the people who have responded to this post are talking about haveing THEIR kids out on THEIR boats as a third, or they are talking about good friends' kids who they take out. The other people are talking about how they grew up on the lake (like myself) and know all the rules and so on. How much experience do you have on boats?...that is a key issue for you going out with 'a stranger you met on the internet.' Those words don't exactly bring love into a parents heart. Good luck finding pulls man, I suggest you become friends with a kid about your age (you can meet him on the web, thats cool) and go out with him and his parents in their boat.
Good luck.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-13-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Gordie, the horsepower limit is anything over 150 hp, you have to be over 18, period. I got my permit at 13 and could have anything under 15hp, then at 14 or 15, anything under 100 or so and pwcs. 16 brought anything under 150 hp. I have 275 on my MC, so no kids allowed.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-13-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
Typically not having people under 18 due to liability concerns sounds tragic. Many, many youth in this sport are significantly more responsible and knowledgable about the rules while on the boat, and rules in and around the water(ok, maybe some exaggeration.) To a large number of wakeboarders, it is a family sport, implying the inclusion of young people. The proper teaching of these young riders ensure more safety and fun for all of us.

Personal judgement is also important. Unfortuantely I do not live on a lake, but my family has enjoyed the boating and watersports for my whole life, allowing me to gain valuable driving, flagging and boating experience in general long befor I could even drive a car. Back in the day, my dad (thankfully) trusted me a lot, and I was priviledged enough to take out our boat with just my friends as early as 17. My brother, however, is a total 'space cadet' and would never be trusted with my dad's wonderful investment.

Sorry, I really don't want to make a post glorifying how responsible I may be, just trying to say that all this is subjective concerning what age an individual needs to be, in order to go on a boat.

oh yeah, and good point about asking the parents of a young rider that wants to come...
Old    michaelvinczii            03-04-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Some of you guys take this whole thing way to seriously. I wont let anyone out on my boat under 18. WOW is all I have to say about that. What are you affraid of getting sued.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-04-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
"WOW is all I have to say about that. What are you affraid of getting sued."

Actually, yes. That's probably what would happen if they were to get hurt. Along the same lines as someones homeowners insurance dropping them if a kid was to get hurt on their trampoline or pool or something similar.

And though this topic sucks and I hate to think about it, people get seriously hurt in this sport. I broke my tibia and blew out my knee 06/04 and the co-owner of my boat just broke his tibia last sunday and had to have pins/screws put in it today. Imagine what would happen if that was someones underage kid that happened to while out with you under your supervision? Not like you can prevent it and it doesn't mean you were being irresponsible.

(Message edited by Stanfield on March 04, 2005)
Old    billabong            03-06-2005, 5:42 AM Reply   
I'm 15 and i ski with a group ranging from 11-60 and half the time its just me and my friends driving and spotting while the others chat it up on the dock but it depends on the kids like the 4 of us have lived and breathed wakeboarding and water skiing our whole lives. The whole getting sued thing could happen but it is not very likely in my mind any ways! Not only that but at 16 you can be a coach and teach others to ski or wakeboard!
Old     (wakeboardbum)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-06-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
I have been around boats all my life and I have been a third for other people since i was 14 and learned all the rules about pitching in for gas and cleaning. When i was 15 my dad decided it was a good idea for me to go to the class and get a boaters liscense. I have been going out with all kinds of people behind their boats and driving for them since then. I have learned many things from riding with all sorts of people and learned a lil bit of everybodys techniques and mixed them all together to become the perfect boat whore. Before i turned 16 and got my liscenses my dad would always have to go out with me and meet who i was riding with and see how they act on the water but i think he just wanted to get out on a boat thats not his haha. I have even gone on 7-8 hour trips away from home with somebody that i met online and started riding with. Having a minor on the boat isnt as bad as some people think sometimes they might even teach somebody a new trick or something.
Old     (wyblea)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-07-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
My buddies and I have been on the lake by ourselves since we were 15 or so...I think we were safer then than now..mainly because we had the fear of god in us from our parents. If you are planning on taking minors that are not related I would say that it is probably smart to at least talk to their parents to see what they think. In general taking the neighbor kid out is a time that you can teach them how to safely be out on the water, while still having a good time, I would have appreciated it when I was younger.