Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-09-2017, 1:53 PM Reply   
Looking at new boats this year and at all the different color sequences and to try to find the perfect balance of the color schemes I keep returning to a black bottom boat. All my boats have been white hulls and I am looking for a change I think. My buddy had a black bottom boat and seemed to be fine with it, but again he didn't have that boat for more than two years and hardly used it.

Any Wake World advice out there on Black Hulls?
Should I do it or should I stir clear of it?

Also is there maintenance on a black bottom boat that I should be aware of?
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       10-09-2017, 2:06 PM Reply   
when black scratches, it scratches white.

no beaching
the trailer carpet will scratch it too (any little fine sand particles get caught in the carpeting)
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2017, 3:54 PM Reply   
Just bought my first black hulled boat this year. So far I love it, we will see if I still don after awhile.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-09-2017, 3:54 PM Reply   
Do it. It will scratch on a lift or trailer but they’re not noticeable unless you’re looking.
Looks great too.

Just don’t beach it
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-09-2017, 4:13 PM Reply   
I have black hull, gunnels and interior (with blue accents and metallic flake), when you have black and take care of it, nothing looks better IMO....on the flip-side if you are hard on your stuff or don't like to spend time cleaning after boating, avoid black cause stuff is gonna show up quicker. White wont show scratches or water spots easily...black will.
That is why my boat is black....I baby it, wash it on the regular, etc. My truck on the other hand is white and while I am still anal about oil changes and maintenance, its probably been all summer since it got washed, ha.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-09-2017, 5:36 PM Reply   
Car or boat. Black and clean looks the best. White is easiest to maintain and does not show dirt as much.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-09-2017, 6:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Car or boat. Black and clean looks the best. White is easiest to maintain and does not show dirt as much.
I agree. In addition, black is for people who wipe down meticulously daily, white is for those who aren't that picky. This is if you are choosing black over light color based on your cleaning habits
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       10-09-2017, 7:19 PM Reply   
I think a colored hull looks pretty sweet. Colored hulls look good in the water too when you are cranked up towing.

I had a black hull (boat was almost all black) and it was not that bad at all.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-09-2017, 9:06 PM Reply   
My Xstar has a black hull and its a 2005 model

the black hull looks way sicker than white. the trailer scatches the bottom for sure, but who cares you cant see it anyway. on the trailer the scratches are hidden under the trailer boards, and in the water the scratches are under water.

the black under the nose when planing out looks badass
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       10-09-2017, 10:12 PM Reply   
In my opinion black hulls look more expensive and like you actually picked the boat. To me white bottom hulls look like some Wally just showed up at the boat dealer and hey I think those speaker tubes hanging from that bar thingy look rad, I’m gonna buy this boat, oh and can I get it all chrome, that’s the best! yay skiboarding! But tubings the best!

Get a colored hull and look like you belong and don’t worry about he scratches because that’ll mean your actually using the boat instead of being a trailer queen.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-10-2017, 12:04 AM Reply   
Going for black when the time comes.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-10-2017, 12:45 AM Reply   
I can had both and I keep my boat in the water for 6 to 8 weeks at a time in the SE. I will never have a white hull again. The black does not show staining and scratching is really moot. I also trailer once in a while and no issues. I hate seeing a white hull thats brown, and hate climbing under to get it white again.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-10-2017, 5:27 AM Reply   
I have had both. The black looks really nice and classy, but can be a pain to keep clean. The hull will get scratched by the bunkers and other things and everything will be visable due to scratching white. But you wont see those any way. I now have a white hull. Would of loved another black one, but some deals you just cant pass up. The white is for sure easier to maintain, but doesn't have the sleekness of the black
Attached Images

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2017, 7:19 AM Reply   
I have had all black boat, blue/red/green, and various others. Now I am all white with matter black logos and it is my favorite by far. We wipe down the boat no mater what the color is and have it detailed every year. This one just pops on the water and to me, looks clean and classy.
Attached Images

Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-12-2017, 7:02 AM Reply   
As others have stated we have had white, light gray, charcoal, black and even one bottom painted. The bottom painted one was painted before we bought it. The white and light gray was easy to keep clean but would show the red ring when boating in TN. The black and charcoal look great but do show marks from the bunks and boards hitting the boat. Yes I know how to fix the boards from hitting the boat, don't put 100+ hours on a boat and let kids bring friends. I have learned to relax and let it happen its fixable. One kid crashed a new Victoria carbon board into the back of the boat learning to surf, it's life and it'll be ok. Will the next boat be mostly black again no, but it wont be white either. I would go with what color grabs you and don't look back.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-12-2017, 7:40 AM Reply   
maybe the gel and under spray on some boats are different. my enzo does not show white scratches
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-12-2017, 1:52 PM Reply   
Have a black hull and love it. For me black is my favorite but you got to be little bit more careful than other color cause everything appear.
My previous was red and really loved it too. I found Blue is a damn good hull color too. Need less work to keep it clean.

But its really a matter of choice, every boat will have scratches and will need to be washed up sometimes. And it will appears on every color. flash color are little bit less sensitive like red or green and some are more like black or white but still it depends on gelcoat quality. Some brand are better than other.
At the end when you scratch you scratch it ! And black hull still look the best haha.

Last edited by Mike88; 10-12-2017 at 2:02 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       10-12-2017, 2:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
I have had all black boat, blue/red/green, and various others. Now I am all white with matter black logos and it is my favorite by far. We wipe down the boat no mater what the color is and have it detailed every year. This one just pops on the water and to me, looks clean and classy.
Buffalow presents the exception to the rule. The all white storm trooper example is the white that works.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-12-2017, 2:18 PM Reply   
Dont beach it, and wipe down every time. Thats it. Youre good to go.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2017, 2:55 PM Reply   
Thanx Matthew. Was looking for full Boss Hawg meets storm trooper looking. This may be my last boat and wanted it to stay looking good and be re-sellable in 5/10 or 20 years.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       10-12-2017, 3:41 PM Reply   
Any boat that gets gel coat damage can be fixed fairly easy, color does not matter. I have products from Boat Candy (4 different bottles)...they will repair everything from bad scratches to minor swirls (deep scratches you may have to wet sand first), you just do it in steps, work it long enough, use the correct pads and have a variable speed rotary. I got mine so I can work the gel coat this fall since when it was stored at dry storage for previous 2 summers, those pricks were not careful with forklift when putting in/out of water and put a lot of scratches on the boats.
Point is that before you sell the boat whether its in 5yrs or 20yrs you can make the gel coat look brand new by either paying someone to do it...or taking the time to do it yourself as long as you properly educate yourself first...or watch plenty of u-tube video's.