Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Why does wakesurfing need to be affiliated with surfing when surfing doesn’t appear to want to be affiliated with wakesurfing. I just went to surfermag.com and surfline.com and found zero references to wakesurfing. Just don't see Centurion's responsibility to ocean boarders. As best as I can tell, Centurion is in the business of selling wakeboats which are used to wakesurf. Ocean surfer and skimmers use the ocean for their sport. Why should Centurion target a group of athletes that don't use their product for their main sport? If these athletes can't afford the $350 plane ticket to fly from LAX to Nashville, I doubt they can afford the $60000.00 boat that Centurion would like to sell.

I also want to see the best possible athletes at the event. There is nothing from stopping them. If they want to be there all they need to do is come. Still trying to figure out why if the best surf athletes in CA didn’t attend past wakesurf events in CA, why would they attend another event in CA.

Troy, great post. I think Nashville is a great location for the event and I expect it to be the best WWSC ever.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-22-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
The following is direct from the Centurion website:

We are extremely excited to announce the 2008 World Wake Surfing Championships ® (WWSC) will be on the move to the Music City this year! On September 6th & 7th, 2008, wakesurfers will converge on downtown Nashville, TN at Riverfront Park to show the south what wakesurfing is all about! Riverfront Park is located on the shores of the Cumberland River running through the heart of the city. The Hard Rock Café and Wild Horse Saloon are just two of the town’s most popular spots overlooking the park, and LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans, is located on the opposite shore. This venue will prove to offer the most exposure possible for the growing sport of wakesurfing, the athletes and the companies supporting the event.

I looked at some pictures of the venue, and it looks great!
Upload

(Message edited by wakesurf_ohio on May 22, 2008)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
"Still trying to figure out why if the best surf athletes in CA didn’t attend past wakesurf events in CA, why would they attend another event in CA."
that's because the marketing staff at Centurion isn't providing the media outlets with the required information. It's not surfline's job to search these things out. They only run the press releases and media material provided to them. You can't attend events they don't know about.

Why settle for for exposing a couple hundred of new people to the sport when we can be exposing tens of thousands of new people to it? Sooner then later someone is going to figure this out.
Old     (bluto)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Troy,
Your post is very predictable since you are a Centurion dealer and this is a marketing event. You also sponsor Drew as does Centurion. So far only two of the top competitors from last year has posted on this thread, Drew and Bri. I would hope that he would support where ever his sponsor wants to have this contest. Have we heard from any of the other top 6 riders in the Men's open division? Have we heard from the last World Wake Surf Champion winner other than Drew?
Wardo I'm with you on this.
Old     (mostknownunknowns)      Join Date: May 2008       05-22-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
Surf Rage, I am someone who rides boards period. Norris dude, I just saw on transworldsurf.com the best guys in the world (SURFERS) wakesurfing in Tahiti. I even saw a post on the news section of http://www.wakesurfmag.com Worlds best doing it up enjoying the stoke of wakesurfing & in exotic place. But, you dont think the athletes would dig on this, change it up a bit! Its just a matter of time before the surf industry catches on. Especially when the worlds best are doing it. T Mann thanx for the info on the WWSC event. Just reading your post & your description of the event site & weekend makes me want to be at the event. I bet the surf industry/athletes would be stoked if they were made aware or were pitched on it like you described it. But, Norris dude, again, with a mentality like that. Of course the sport will stay the same. I just wanted to stir the pot any ways. All the info seems to be on this forum, but, not unless the pot is stirred.
"SURFER REEKS HAVOC" hat should be my user name...
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
I guess there will be no excuse this year, since there is almost a four months advanced notice. There will be 70,000 people within viewing distance of the event on Sunday. Sounds like good exposure to me.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Chuck dude, just trying to stir the pot also. Glad to see that you want to be at the event in Nashville. Should be a great time which is what really is the important thing.
Old    mobster            05-22-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
www.surfline.com/video/video_player/video_player.cfm?id=3651&mv=pro
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-22-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
J.L. your my Hero! didn't have any idea we could post on surfline. I'll be uploading my footage.
Old    mobster            05-22-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
Cabo Charley can you Ollie I can on my skim board. Can you do a fire hyd? Can you do a spinner? We rip hard in Ohio and are going to bring our game to Tenn.
Old     (mostknownunknowns)      Join Date: May 2008       05-22-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
The surf industry will catch on, its such a new idea to such old dinosaurs.. Give it some advertizing from Centurion and we are all well on our way to doing big things.. Did anyone ever see the article a few years back of world champ Sunny Garcia wakesurfing for his training regimen?? Its the truth, real surfers know its sick, wakesurfing wouldn't ever have the word "surfing" in it, without the sport of SURFING.. if anyone disagrees then they dont deserve to call it wake"surfing" anymore,, they should make up some dumb name for it, It all boils down to information being released to the surf community.. Surfers care, I am living proof, Sleigh is living proof, the MOBgroup is living proof that real surfers care.. Surfing originated in the ocean obviously, and the only way its going to be a REAL sport and not just a hobby, is if it is brought out to the surf media.. I personally know a few pro wakeboarders and they downplay our sport so bad, they dont even consider it a real sport.. Give the surf community a chance to see what its about.. surfers care about surfing, any way you wanna slice it up!! Wakesurfing is just another way to branch out the best sport ever, surfing.. No more waiting for perfect waves, and no more hassling with overcrowded lineups!! thats something all surfers would be stoked about!!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
what's up with Hydro Dynamics? When am I going to be able to buy it?

edit:sick post Charley

(Message edited by caskimmer on May 22, 2008)
Old     (mostknownunknowns)      Join Date: May 2008       05-22-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
Yeah!
Hydro MOBster or should I say Dolly Pardon. I dont know what Wardovision is talking about? I checked your website, its pretty cool. The "Wake Up" trailer seems on point. I just saw the Alliancewake mag. JUNE issue," Winching California".. Go Beaver!!!! Reason I say that, is in the article I remember seeing MObgroup on the RV. Is that you? Mad Props.. Mad Props!!!!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
I forgot that the name was changed. Can't wait to get it
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-23-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
robg,is the pic you posted the actual venue?? if so,this could be the best venue ever,specially for spectators.does anyone know if the WWSC will split the two divisions,surf from skim?if its split,ASC will be there..if its not split,we wont be attending.i hope they split the divisions cuz my minds all over that tenn style bbq.
Old    4sher            05-23-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
So, I've competed in all but one of the Centurion World Wake surfing Championship events ( I missed the first one at Clear Lake). Here are my thoughts on a few of the above threads:

Regarding Centurion's sponsorship: Rather than knocking them, I think they deserve a big THANKS. I don't see anyone else stepping up and spending the massive amount of time (and money) to organize anything else like this. Some of you have put on large events, but for those who haven’t just dealing with all the local organizations to make this happen will take hundreds of hours. Just think how much it will cost them to bring their whole crew out, house them, feed them, drag all the boats around, fuel them etc. This is a big, expensive undertaking.

So, do they have something to gain? Sure they do. They are a business, businesses are supposed to make money. They want us to buy more of their boats. They feature their boats pulling the event, they create buzz about Centurion boats and wake surfing, everyone sees that the wake is good, more boats are sold. GOOD FOR THEM! They support us, we support them.

Regarding the location: Again, I’ve been to all of the venues. Here is my personal opinion on each:

Lake Yosemite: Nice place. Hard to see what’s going on unless you are on the dock but even then still hard to see. Not much to do when you aren’t riding. Even less to do in Merced (sorry local Merced people)

That park in Stockton: GROSS water (I swear I saw a syringe in the water) ,Don’t even think about getting that water in your mouth. Impossible to see riders. Huge shallow spot that kills the wake. Oh, and you can keep the freestyle motocross guys beating up their girlfriends.

Clear Lake: Great place to ride, easy to watch, nice to be included with Boardstock. Also, the biggest white trash rodeo I’ve ever seen with bikers, monster trucks and way too many angry-drunk, overly tattooed people. Go ahead and keep that too.

Nashville: Looks good from the pics. Willing to give it a try. Seems like good viewing from the land.

Regarding pro surfers/ skimmers: It’s great to see their involvement. They add a ton to the sport and I know that I’ve learned a TON by watch them and emulating them. They continue to push the limits of what can be done. BUT, they don’t generally buy boats and aren’t generally part of the inland water sports community (lake and river people). And, that community makes up 99% of the wakesurfing community. It’s that community that we need to focus on when organizing events.

Ok, that’s probably long enough. Thanks for reading.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Waterdog, the picture is the venue. Should be great for viewing. Here is the other side.
Upload

There will probably be over 70,000 people in viewing distance on Sunday due to the football stadium being on the opposite side of the river.. Haven't heard anything about surf/skim.
Old     (dubguy72)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
OK, everyone.. At all the events in CA (all pretty much being in NOR CAL) you have to drive @ least 2hrs (from the airport) the get to the event! then finding a hotel, places to eat, are slim to non.. or chose from the 5 hotels... and 2 resturants

In nashville you are less then 15 mins from an international airport.
In downtown there are over 12,000 restaurants and 50 hotels.. all more or less within walking distance.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
Nashville keeps sounding better and better. Hopefully, Carrie Underwood will be in town!
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-23-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
does anyone know if or how to find out about split divisions? or is it just common knowledge they will combine the two and judge them as the same.even though they are two totally different rides.sorta like racin 125's against 250's we just dont do it..tenn being the home of the lorretta lynns national,surely they will see the division a must.thanks for the pics rg

(Message edited by h20k9 on May 23, 2008)
Old    surfdad            05-23-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Billy, I believe the '08 registration form shows a split in divisions at the men's am, but not in the open divisions, masters or kids. This would be consistent with the WWSC from '07. If you can find the current year entry/registration forms it should spell it out.
Old     (flywatchingall)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
waterdog you sound like a broken record, how many times you going to ask the same thing, why don't you pick up the phone and call Centurion (209) 384-0255?
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-23-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
fly girl,mabe if you werent so bitter youd read between the lines and see the big picture..if you took time to do that,youd call centurion boats at(209)384-0255 ask them why no pro split.when ALL the prosufers,all the magazines,most the board manufactures want a split and most of the sensible proskimmers would like the split aswell.why u so bitter about me talking about this subject?u have an agenda?are you one of the powers that be,hiden behind your keyboard?ur bummed cause you new nothing about the direction of the sport,and you now know youll be lucky if 3 top pros show up if it isnt split? unless your the girl who doesnt care because its just more money for you? jeff thanks for the info,i sorta already new,i was just bringing to light this imo unresolved issue.which is also imo the underlying issue behind the current direction of this contest..flygrl,sorry you hated my demo surf from skim..mabe youll like my remix,skim from surf

(Message edited by h20k9 on May 23, 2008)
Old     (flywatchingall)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
I am all for splitting things up and having the event at a new venue more central to the rest of the people other than that I don't need to call anyone I am not the one that is confused.
Old     (wakesurfing_mag)      Join Date: May 2008       05-23-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
Hi my name is Michael Daugherty, publisher/editor of Wakesurfing Magazine. I don't normally get involved with these discussion boards because of all the negative vibes, but I got a phone call this morning about what is going on regarding the Worlds and bad vibes between skim vs surf. Its not easy to say, but I have to agree somewhat with Mark Sher. Centurion, mainly Tim Lopes who left Centurion and now works for Calabria Boats is responsible for giving wakesurfing life. Since Tim's departure, Centurion has done its best to grow the sport and they do deserve to reap some rewards for all that they have done. Lets give them a big hand, but as a group of wakesurf enthusiast, it's in all of our interest to have the worlds run by a core group or wakesurfers working together with sponsors who have more interest in promoting their association with the sport of wakesurfing than controlling it.
As for changing location every year, thats cool,as the sport grows, surfers from all water bodies will travel, but we have to get over the surf vs skim. I know where the California crew are coming from,the sport has grown so much by all of the surfers coming out and taking the sport to a level none of us could have imagined in such a short time and its these surfers who really deserve to be competing in the worlds. As for the no shows last year, well it all comes down to the BS that went on in 2006 worlds, but lets not get that going again.
Everyone involved with the mag, is a ocean surfer, so we all wakesurf surf style. We are proud of it, but we hold no grudges against the skim style riders and ride with many. I can't believe that any contest would judge the 2 styles in the same heat. There is no way Josh Sleigh could do what Jaime or Drew could do on his board and no way Drew or Jaime can do what Sleigh does on their so why are we judging against each other.

Another unfortunate result from having 2 styles is after 2 years of begging the skim style companies to get involved with the magazine to help out with articles and photo shoots showing their style and help grow the sport, its the surf style companies doing all the work and spending their money to support the sport while the skim style board companies advertise in wakeboarding magazines. I'm not sure, but its almost like we are going in 2 directions which is cool too. After all,the surf industry is split up between short boards and long boards. Thats my take and all I have to say on the subject. Best Regards to all.
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-24-2008, 4:14 AM Reply   
Wow, Well said Michael. If my comments appeared to be bashing of Centurion that was not my intent. They have done a lot to help the sport.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-24-2008, 4:50 AM Reply   
What is the total cash purse for the event? How does the payout break down per division and placements?
Old     (lsg)      Join Date: May 2008       05-24-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
For all those involved in this discussion. Realize its just that, a discussion. I see alot of people that are passionent about wakesurfing, thats awesome! There is nothing wrong with expessing yourself, I don't see a wrong or right side. Centurion's not the Dark Side. If Centurion wants to have their event in China, they can. It appears that groups in the wakesurfing community feel as if they are being pushed aside. Start and organize your own event and use this love that you have for this sport in a positive way to progress the sport. It wasn't vary long ago when this board had only a hand full of post and now look at it! This sport is growing and has so much to give and offer to all of us. This isn't the end it's only the beginning.
Old     (dubguy72)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
well said
Old     (mostknownunknowns)      Join Date: May 2008       05-24-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
IMO, I think what I posted earlier on this WWSC is still being over looked. You can just read below my newest opinion..

I very much agree with LOREN! This is just the beginning & its obvious this is just a discussion & lots of opinions,but, still interesting none the less. Like, why its not being properly exposed to all.

Was the rumor SVFARA boats inked a deal with BILLABONG canada for a wakesurf specific boat true?? If so does that mean Billabong USA will be following to? Centurion started it, but, what the future holds??? I wonder if Sleigh is reading all this!
You out there guy? IMO he changed the sport & its Focus. The guy is a legend! Or we would not be seeing the split in the disciplines. Skim is Skimboarding.. Surf is Surfing. Hope your reading this dude! But, this is cool stuff we are talking about. You know people in the industries/businesses are reading this informative discussion.
So I stand by my thoughts on this subject. Like, will it be finally properly marketed that drew is the Wake Skim World 5 or 6 time champ? Will Sleigh come out of where ever he is & take his right full place "Wake Surf World CHAMP"! I'm thinking we need to hear it from the Centurion people. Will they take the reins & run the sport in a direction we can all agree with? Thats just my opinion....

OLD POST: First of all WakeSURFING needs to be affiliated with the sport of SURFING. Has Centurion even tried to branch out in the media of surfing to tell the story? NO! There is no advertising for the event in any media related to surfing, nor are there any press releases on (surfingmag, surfermag, transworldsurf, surfline etc). Where are they? They need to be blowing this up to both industries alike. I find it interesting that they are not creating invites to top ranked pro surfers. Are we not surfing?????
Thus, if this is ever going to be a true sport & grow properly, it needs to at least be advertised properly & the same with skim as well.

I know I am not the only one who wants to see the best possible athletes enter the event.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-24-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Wow longest thread ever! I think Mark Sher sums it up pretty well. Nashville seems cool and a great place to view the contest. Keep moving it around, I think this is the only way to let the ameteurs with no sponsor money be able to attend the event. Also I can stay at a 3 star hotel in Nashville for 25 dollars a night HA HA (jk) (my wife works for a hotel chain). Not that that helps me make any kind of decision. As far as skim vs surf, yes I think they should be split divisions. Now everybody just chill a little and go out and ride and do what we ALL LOVE, which is just having fun. Do what you can to grow the sport at your level (whatever that is, pro or am)and lets try not bashing anybodys opinions.Just like Rodney King put it "Can't we all just Surf?"
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-24-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
Oh yea been to Clear Lake, Ditto on the lots of white trash comment, also took a lot of elbow grease to scrub the water line off my boat after pulling out of Clear(not!)Lake. More like Brown Lake. Drove 300 miles to attend the event and was kinda disapointed with the venue. The riding was excellent though.
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-26-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Were going to Worlds and supporting it as we always have from the beginning.
It takes a lot of guts to go against the flow [ water ski industry ], so to all you wakesurfers, skimmers and boat company's you know the one I'm talking about, keep up the good work, plus all this chat is a healthy thing ! see ya their - jeff page / owner
Old     (goofrthanu)      Join Date: May 2008       05-26-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
All the whoopla is exciting! I can't wait to compete again this season and see first hand the style and flava' the riders bring to the scene. Speaking of 'First Hand'...watching Rusty M. on Fuel TV recently and couldn't help but wonder...where are they (FUEL)? If the upcoming World's event has the energy and magnitude of a percentage of this post...then maybe its time to invite Fuel to the party! The riding is worthy, the sport is amazing, the venue is up to par!
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-28-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
Here's a good link to the a site showing the event location.

http://www.centurionboats.com/news/7th%20Annual%20World%20Wake%20Surfing%20Championsh ips%20Announced
Old    surfdad            07-14-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
I signed us up today and we will be attending.

I read this thread and I place no value in the opinions of dealers or folks that get their boats for 10K less than the rest of us. You're getting paid to say what you said here, so it's just an advertisement, IMO.

I have issues with the way the contest is run, but unless I attend I have no right to say anything. Hopefully this year's contest will address some minor operational and judging issues.

I don't have an issue with the venue, at this time, although I respect the opinion of CASkimmer and JL. It'll be interesting to see where next years contest is held, however. I was initially concerned about the river flow, but after attending and competing at the TWC, I don't believe the flow is a significant issue. It has an impact, but it's managable. While I wish it was closer to CA and I believe there were TONS of choices between CA and TN, I've also flown to MN for a contest, so TN is no better or worse than that. Plus, we get a new refigerator magnet from TN. :-)

If the judging is handled appropriately, I'm not concerned about the lack of split in the divisions. It's hard to do that effectively and a system that just counts tricks favors minor but quickly performed tricks...nonetheless, I do believe that this aspect can be managed also. Only time will tell if this is a priority. Further, I believe that a single division, rather than two, allows for larger winnings per individual on the podium and that will no doubt be necessary to bring the best and brightest. I'd also be willing to bet that folks that have the potential to win, would prefer LARGER winnings per person over more divisions.

Like it or not, the World's is the culmination of the season and this single contest has the largest purse and the most attention. While I don't agree with certain attributes of this event, nor some of the history - I do agree whole-heartedly with the effort involved to promote the sport.

The purse is generous, the effort involved in a contest of this magnitude is overwhelming and I will be supporting that as it's benefical for the sport. I appreciate that Centurion has made the commitment to stage and fund the WWSC and congratulate them for doing so, yet again this year.

Yeehaw, y'all. :-)