Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       11-05-2017, 2:14 PM Reply   
I'm looking for new board racks for my stock tower (2007 MB B52). I like the idea of clamping the boards in lieu of the bungee straps but I don't want to spend $3900 for a pair of the PTM "Edge" racks. Does anyone know of an alternative in the reasonable price range?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2017, 6:13 PM Reply   
FlyHigh used to make the ProX rack that clamped. There are some available on ebay. I have a pair on my boat and they are easy to use and you never get snapped by a bungee. The are a bit tougher on the edges of the boards though.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       11-05-2017, 7:07 PM Reply   
I LOVE these racks (dont know what tower design you have). Best possible protection for boards and out of way since my tower is pretty tall, even with fins in I do not hit my head. Some people put racks on top of tower instead of under like me, I like boards below bimini since it keeps sun off them.
You have to buy your own mounts (every tower is different)...I got "speaker mounts" since my tower bars are round....and your own pads, but you can get these CNC racks from Corson Piper. Good dude and good price....CorsonPiper@gmail.com
Attached Images

Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-06-2017, 6:21 AM Reply   
i have one of these in stock i'd be willing to part with for a very good price. you can email me at ian at onlyinboards.com if you are interested
https://www.onlyinboards.com/Accesso...ping-Rack.aspx
Old     (MontanaBoatGuy)      Join Date: Jun 2017       11-06-2017, 9:12 AM Reply   
Scotty, I would recommend the Roswell Triton board racks. Incredible racks that protect the boards better than any other board rack in the biz, water drips outside of the boat and the racks are much less likely to catch your tow rope while picking up to your down rider due to tight the rack and boards hug your tower. With all of this and a lower price than the competitors racks its a win-win. Check them out https://www.roswellmarine.com/produc...ss-board-rack/
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       11-29-2017, 7:38 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for the tips. This is good info. Still looks like there is somewhat of a vacuum in that market space. (not many choices)
The Roswell Triton is intriguing but I can't tell how it mounts. Trying to get more info.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-30-2017, 10:25 AM Reply   
Which MB tower do you have? Do you have the one that looks like this? https://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-MB...ado-72578.aspx

If so, i'm not sure how these would be able to mount on that tower. It would probably require some new holes... maybe using a G3 adaptor? Tracy?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-30-2017, 2:05 PM Reply   
I would shy away from Clamp racks for surf boards! I have two custom made boards with some nice dents in them from the Clamps on my buddies Malibu. Not a fan of clamping Surfboards down.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       11-30-2017, 2:15 PM Reply   
Exactly why I like the racks that mount under tower above....my buddy ruined his custom board in a clamping rack and it was a high end one that was supposed to be "safe". You go over some wake and boat slams down while board in in a clamping rack...and its gonna dent or break, they just are not deep enough. The vertical clamping racks...are probably ok, but you also spend $3k for a pair. I was all in for $600 on the 2 above racks, mounts and pads.
The ONLY potential issue with above racks is the surf rope wants to get under the rack pad, when bimini is not up (mine is up 90% of the time anyway)...but fixed that just by running one of the bungee cords across the back from 1st rack to the 2nd, so the rope could not drop under the edge of rack and it was all good.
Old     (MontanaBoatGuy)      Join Date: Jun 2017       12-01-2017, 7:02 AM Reply   
The triton rack does not have a geared latching mechanism. It is also vertically mounted so the board doesn't slam down through chop, double up etc. The Triton truly does take better care of your expensive boards. I hope not to offend but I honestly wouldn't use the racks pictured above if they were free. I am a tall guy with tall family and friends and one fin to the head is all it would take to make a great day REALLY BAD. I think it is a clever idea but very dangerous. That is my two cents and again I do not mean to criticize or offend.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       12-01-2017, 4:25 PM Reply   
Does not offend me in the least, but nice that you are not a d**k like many others on here, lol. I am 5' 10" and don't hit my head even with the fins pointed down cause its a pretty tall tower at 7ft. Normally the fins are not in the board except between sets and I can point them up. Without fins you could be taller...but totally get this would not be the best option for a tall person.
The new vertically mounted board racks are very nice!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-04-2017, 11:23 AM Reply   
No hitting your head on racks that are mounted above the tower like mine:

it's obviously also a fantastic place to put a Foil Board.

I usually put my nice surfboards on the cargo bimini, but the overhead racks are just as good. Made them myself.