Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (finky)      Join Date: Nov 2017       11-15-2017, 10:01 AM Reply   
Finally in the market to purchase a wake boat for my family..Primarily going to be used for wakeboarding,cruising, tubing,kneeboarding and occasional surfing.. Ive got my eyes on an 07 malibu vtx on a tandem trailer with 750 hours for 27,500, an 06 nautique sv211 team edition for around 28000 no trailer and 230 hours, and a few different mastercraft 02-04 xstar/x2 205v. I have access to all these dealers local. My tow to the lake is about 300 feet looking for the best all around reliable, wakeboard wake making, comfortable boat in the 20000-28000 range.. i know everyone will say go and drive them all but i want to know from your experience what bot you would choose and why. thanks guys first post here!!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-15-2017, 10:17 AM Reply   
Those boats are all real small. Have you looked at/for a Malibu vlx or nautique 210? The 211 has a finicky wake, I’ve read (no personal experience).

An 05 and up vlx or 09 and up vride (same hull as vlx) should also be in consideration, as well as early axis A22 (though those were pretty rare back then).
Old     (finky)      Join Date: Nov 2017       11-15-2017, 10:25 AM Reply   
ya my neighbor has on 07 vlx that has been neglected sitting on a lift that could use a little love. going to try and get them to entertain selling as kids are off to college. I want to fit in my garage which is why im in the 20-21ft range. my garage is 22ft in main bay and 24 ft deep in the single car which i could angle in. The height clearance at the door is the main issue ..the illusion x tower folds really well and the xstar/205v folds really low. not sure about sv211. alot of the 05-08 vlx are out of my price range.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-16-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
The 02 xtsar will fit in 7ft garage you just need to drop the tongue down almost as low as you can get it. I bought a drop hitch and back it right in.
Old     (finky)      Join Date: Nov 2017       11-16-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
thanks tampa wake!! my neighbor has a 13 x2 which he fits in garage as well. he had to buy small tires for his trailer though and barely fits he is across the street from the ramp and switches tires back for dealer trips. where in tampa are you located? im in land o lakes florida. Still looking for more opinions on the three boats from people!!!!
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-17-2017, 7:53 AM Reply   
Are these salt water boats? Will you be using it in Salt water?
Old     (finky)      Join Date: Nov 2017       11-17-2017, 7:57 AM Reply   
no all fresh water central florida boats.. still looking for some feedback on the boats thanks guys
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-18-2017, 10:04 PM Reply   
IMO
SV211
Smaller
Finicky steep smaller with trough wakeboard wake not very good at lower speeds
Less bowrise while towing
Decent ski wake
Snap out carpet known to fall apart with transom walkthrough
Quality built,fit and finish, less rattles in rough water
Lift cylinders on all seat cushions
Access door for hidden trash easy access
More open air exposure for the driver
Tower doesn’t flow with boat lines
Firmer lower seat cushions very little thigh support
Ugly dropped butt looking wavy rubrail lines toward rear of boat which can allow water in when heavily leaned for surfing same with vent hoses falling off
Loose subwoofer
Cleaner wiring job
Ballast valves can be problematic on early models
Observer area hinge flexes too much
Seat base been known to warp or bow
Cool Push button start
Vdrive May leak fluid underneath
Stress cracks usually around tower base
Possible Perfect pass glitches blown fuses

VTX
Awesome rampy wakeboard wake even at lower speeds for beginners and very consistent
Glued Carpet everywhere
More roomy
Many things just screwed down rather than thru bolted
Driver and observer bake on hot days behind I/O-like wrap around greenhouse of glass
Thick padded luxury cushions high enough for some thigh support
ECM acts up when cold glitchy gauges
Nice Illusion tower
More bowrise when towing
No lift cylinders for seat cushions
Very sharp looking boat with classic lines
So so wiring
Cheap Chrome plating prone to corrosion

Last edited by rexlex01; 11-18-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old     (finky)      Join Date: Nov 2017       11-19-2017, 5:28 PM Reply   
thanks for the great analysis/low down on those 2 boats!!! i was getting worred had around 600 views and only 2 comments with opinions. any input on the 205v/x2/xstar
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2017, 8:37 PM Reply   
We've got a 2004 X2 (205V hull) and pretty much have the same routine as you are describing. Was 100% wakeboarding when I was younger, but life happens. It can be loaded down to produce a wake that 99% can use, and when there is no weight it does all of the above. Also, I think a number of people are using the whale tail to get a nice surf wave out of them.

We are on a lake, so the size is not an issue for us. Coolers, clothes, etc. are all back at the house. The few times it has been to the local creek/river have been a bit cramped.

I would stay away from 2003 model year just because of the racks they put on the tower. They are awful looking and impossible to find parts for.

I think it was 2003-2004 model years have some upholstery issues. We have had a few pieces redone by a local shop and I had them take away all the stitching lines so that they are less likely to tear in the future. Keep in mind, there is a 70 lb Weimaraner blasting back and forth on the boat basically any time the boat is underway, so that added to the wear. At this point, though, most 10-15 y/o boats are gonna have some wear and tear on interior.

Ours has RTP 310 motor and it does just fine. Torque curves are basically the same as MCX, but MCX has advantage on top end if I remember correctly. Prop is whatever came on the boat and we are in North Florida at sea level.

Overall, we're happy with the boat. Not a lot to go wrong with it, clean looks, cranks every time.
Attached Images

Old     (finky)      Join Date: Nov 2017       11-20-2017, 10:00 AM Reply   
thanks justin!! good looking boat! i could definately save a few thousand going the mastercraft route . since im not on the water we usually leave some of the larger items at the community dock and go back for them when we need. our lake isnt huge around 220 acres its nice and long though so good for long sets.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-21-2017, 5:00 PM Reply   
funny thing, the mid 2000's are great years for boats. Every company had a solid boat, so solid, they rebadged them 7 years later. the BU vlx/vride is a great boat, all the SAN 210 series are great boats, all the MC x1/x2 mid 2000's are great boats, just find the one you like, options are similar with them all, either balast or none, some version of perfect pass or not. then pick one. I would get the BU VLX in the mid 2000's I loved our 2 vlx's, they were perfect boats. good luck
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-28-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
of those, gen 1 star/205v.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-29-2017, 5:58 AM Reply   
I had a 2002 MasterCraft XStar. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

Great and I mean great entry/intermediate wakeboard wake. I never got past basic spins and inverts (turned my knee inside out in 2004), but I learned everything I still know behind that boat.

Classic interior layout that maximizes the relatively limited space that you have.

Solid resale value.

Easy to store and to trailer

The LTR 330 is bullet-proof. I would get a boat with that motor over the 310. The 310 can struggle with lots of extra weight.

No complicated screens to break and relatively easy to maintain.

Cons:

Small by today's standards. Anything over 8 people is cramped

Wakesurf wave is not easy to dial in

Older and less precise speed control

Tower shakes a bit and is prone to cracking if you have heavy speakers on it. I had welds break going over a set of train tracks on the trailer

Interior can develop pink spots and discolor. It is my understanding that the original adhesive that MC used was quite tasty to a certain microorganism, and the consumption of the adhesive resulted in discoloration. My boat had to have the entire interior replaced.

The transmission on the 01/02 models had a vent that was placed particularly low, which if you get enough water in the bilge due you can get water into the transmission and blow the seal (I had this happen too. The bilge pump failed on my boat and I didn't know one of my hard tanks cracked and my bilge filled up. When I put the boat on the trailer, water washed back over the transmission and bad things happened)

The rear hard tanks are prone to cracking. Remove them asap and replace with 550lb bags.

Out of the boats you posted, the XStar would be my first choice.